Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sascha, Oct 9, 2009.

1. sascha

sascha Member

any informed thoughts on potential for contagion with XMRV? i have two nine-month old grandchildren and sure don't want to pass anything on to them.

but also, to family and friends- does anyone have thoughts/inf./opinions on contagion factor?

i understand with HHV6 there is no risk of passing it on (i asked Dr. Montoya about this), but now i'm wondering about XMRV.

thanks for any input on this- any conjecture or insights. Sascha
  2. spacee

spacee Member

Some people's kids get it, some don't. Some people's siblings get it, some don't. In my world, all of the kids who got it recovered except one. I am wondering if somehow it 'weakens' as it is passed.

Just my experience. Also, years ago, Dr. Cheney said that there wasn't a island remote enough to avoid this. So, having a family member with it, doesn't mean they won't be exposed.

I am going through the same thing with grandkids. My three sons are grown and did not "get" it.

So sorry we have this...

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

The WPI have a q & A page on XMRV:

4. sascha

sascha Member

there's no conclusive finding about this yet, seems like. i've put the question in to Dr. Montoya and i'll see what he has to say sometime next week, when his assistant will ask him about it.

i asked about flu shot, and his assistant said yes on general flu shot, but not necessary on swine flu vaccine... again, i don't feel certain about any of this.

i guess i 'll just continue seeing my grandchildren when i can. spacee, maybe you're right that it's all around anyway. it's not air-borne; one has to keep living... my two sons haven't contracted cfids. i've had it for going on ten years now.

it's tremendously encouraging, though, to hear about XMRV findings. glad we have smart people here on the board transmitting information-- thanks again, Sascha
  5. onset1990

onset1990 Member

Has long had CFS listed as an infectious disease. Not to be confused with contagious. I was told way back in 1990 not to give blood or organs. I have tried to be careful not to share drinks with my kids, straws or bottles of water etc.

It does scare me with babies and I have a new granddaughter.