XMRV & Autism - there may be a link

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rafiki, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

This is a very thought provoking piece in HuffPo.

I dare not even think how wonderful it would be if the discovery of this virus was a step forward in understanding, preventing and treating autism!

Peace out,
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Wo Rafiki. This is an amazing article and finding. We were wondering about this relationship for Autism.

Look at this quote too: ""On that note, if I might speculate a little bit," Dr. Mikovits said, "This might even explain why vaccines would lead to autism in some children, because these viruses live and divide and grow in lymphocytes -- the immune response cells, the B and the T cells. So when you give a vaccine, you send your B and T cells in your immune system into overdrive. That's its job. Well, if you are harboring one virus, and you replicate it a whole bunch, you've now broken the balance between the immune response and the virus. So you have had the underlying virus, and then amplified it with that vaccine, and then set off the disease, such that your immune system could no longer control other infections, and created an immune deficiency."

So there you have it - a possible explanation of regressive autism in a significant number of cases associated with immune system deregulation triggered by vaccination.

Of course, much more work is needed to nail down the exact significance of such an association. For example, is the virus implicated in the cause of autism, or do children harbor the virus as a result of autism?

Either way, it is notable that such questions are being asked by mainstream sources such as the University of Nevada, and by extension the NCI and the Cleveland Clinic: Can XMRV infection plus vaccination create the right conditions for regressive autism? That remains to be seen. But it also means that the thousands of parents who claim their children did regress shortly after vaccination may not be so crazy and "fringe" as they have been portrayed by experts such as Dr. Paul Offit of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and Dr. Thomas Insel, head of the National Institute of Mental Health and Chair of the federal Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee (IACC).

I don't think ether one of us is sitting here saying, 'Vaccinations cause autism,' but rather a number of factors; a genetic susceptibility to the illness, to the infection itself, and then on top of that you are adding something to that mix that takes that child over the top."

"Whittemore added that researchers hoped to develop a vaccine against XMRV quickly, noting that "It would be easier to find a vaccine against this than HIV, because it is a simple retrovirus." - How ironic!

[This Message was Edited on 10/12/2009]
  3. hensue

hensue New Member

I am all over a vaccine for it! It is ironic I was astounded how many vaccines she is going to be given. Compared to my boys who are now 31 and 28. Before she is given all these I would like her to have a test to see if she has the xmrv virus God forbid.
    Hopefully not

The first time I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at Emory Hospital in Atlanta GA. I went to a neurologist because of all the pain, nothing was touching it and it was the bladder the head you name it everywhere.
    She ran her tests and said Classic fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue.
    She also said she thought it was caused by a virus that lies dormant in your body and for some reason stress, infection you name it I had the flu 3 times and could not get rid of it.
    It appears when your immune system is low. Of course I had all the other viruses that we all commonly get. Epstein Barr, herpes all you name it I tested positive except aids.
    I just hope this virus is a diagnostic marker and to help other people from not getting too!