XMRV cortisol bad/ possibly treat with anabolic steroids???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by heapsreal, Oct 21, 2009.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

An australian researching is looking into cfs testing, unsure if XMRV but am led to believe so. Also read in her bio other testing she has done, one that caught my eye was testosterone on natural killer cell function, couldnt get into it to read details, but i remember reading about aids patients taking anabolic steroids to counteract muscle wasting from the disease and found it increased cd4 lymphocyte counts which is a marker of hiv positive or ngative. After reading XMRV has cortisol receptors, drugs like testosterone and anabolic steroids have opposite effects to cortisol and can block or lower the effect of cortisol, mmmm maybe another avenue of treatment, especially for men as less side effect of these drugs then for women.

Something to think about.
    bit more googling for me on this.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

that what you wrote would make sense (& your logic does make sense) however, one of the televised interviews (might have been the one with Annette Whittemore, but I'm not sure - have watched/read so much on this the info is starting to overlap in my head)....anyway, it said the three things that activate the xmrv include; cortisol, inflammatory events, and sex hormones (which would inc testosterone)
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

it will be interesting how different groups shake out. For me, low dose/physiologic amount of daily cortisol really helped me long term; I did a 6 month 'trial' of it and then weaned off to see what happened. The results lasted a few years.

I wanted to get it again, but had a different MD who wouldn't give it to me unless I repeated all testing and then it was a 'maybe' (my first round of testing was not revealing, end-all/be-all is a clinical trial, as we all know blood tests are not 100%). Well, no insurance and having to pay for treatment for our son (Lyme)... so... it didn't happen. I can get low dose prednisolone in Mexico OTC, but it does not have the same effect (also reported by others, sort of like how some don't do well on synthroid and need the Armour thyroid "original" formula).

all the best,

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

If you want to lower cortisol, a very safe way for men and women is Seriphos (phosphorylated serine). It works really well, really fast, no bad side effects unless you take too much, in whch case your cortisol would go too low. There are tests to check cortisol levels (e.g., Adrenal Stress Index Test) which should be done before taking Seriphos.