XMRV extremely unlikely that it's linked to ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LadyCarol, Sep 26, 2011.

1. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

It is now looking extremely unlikely that XMRV is either linked to ME/CFS or that it has a disease-causing role, see link below for details.

2. sascha

sascha Member

we really got our hopes up. wow the whole WPI seemingly was launched based on the idea that XMRV was behind cfids.

maybe it has played a strong role, though, in stirring up more research that will eventually give us answers.

Dr. Montoya's research study will be releasing results at some point. he has tested PWCs and healthy control group for 60 pathogens. i sure hope helpful information will come from that study. i am part of the study- so anxious for results- Sascha
  3. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I believe we need to wait until Dr. Ian Lipkin's NIH study is completed in 2012. The negative studies are said to be mostly due to the testing assays not being accurate. One example is that they specifically look for XMRV whereas they need to look for HRGV's. Also the retrovirus quickly leaves the blood stream to infect tissue so it is difficult to find with the tests they are using. At any rate it is too soon to shut the door on the possibility of HRGV's infecting us. Even though things do look negative for now I will keep an open mind. Plus I am thinking to many studies are spending big bucks on it because of many unanswered questions for it to be a big fat zero.

Having said all that... I'm also with you on Dr. Montoya's research study. How exciting you were a part of it Sascha. I had tried to get in it myself but later found out you needed to go to his lab and I am out of state. I really appreciate Dr. Montoya's great attitude and support for our patient community. Much respect for him on my part. :)