XMRV is found in Fibro Patients Too

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jasminetee, Oct 9, 2009.

1. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I wasn't sure if Fibromites were aware that XMRV was also found in Fibro patients. See the WPI site: http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/index.html

"We have detected the retroviral infection XMRV is greater than 95% of the more than 200 ME/CFS, Fibromylagia, Atypical MS patients tested."

Click on the Q & A link after you read the overview. It seems to me that they've already added more info to these answers since I read this yesterday.

The WPI does state that many people diagnosed with FMS actually have CFS and it seems to me that they are not certain if it's really in FMS-only patients.

"A few fibromyalgia samples were tested and yes, they were positive. However the sampling was very small, and testing will have to continue on a much larger scale to begin to draw significant conclusions. In addition, many patients with ME/CFS have been given the diagnosis of [only] fibromyalgia when in fact they have ME/CFS and fibromyalgia. "

[This Message was Edited on 10/09/2009]
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I saw that, too, and found it interesting, but even more inconclusive than the findings in ME/CFS given the overlap mentioned....one thing that I thought of rt away when reading that, though, is that fibro seems more often to be triggered by a physical trauma (like a car accident) and ME/CFS seems to be triggered by mono or something similar

I know that is not true across the board, but it is often true, and that made me wonder.....if ME/CFS is triggered more by mono or something like that, then the XMRV would make a lot of sense, but if Fibro is triggered by a physical trauma, then initially XMRV would not seem to make sense

.....however, any kind of trauma (physical or otherwise) and any stress can make people more susceptible to a lot of different illnesses (Notice I am NOT saying that stress/trauma can cause the illnesses themselves, just that it makes people more vulnerable to getting them bc it can weaken the immune system)....so if something like a car accident temporarily weakened the immune system, then it might not be able to fight XMRV off and the person would wind up getting sick.....in that case it would also make sense that it could give rise to fibro
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I hear you Aunt Tammie. I think if I have this Retrovirus that I was born with it and that eventually it was going to cause problems in my life as I received hits in the world, be they viral or physical accidents. I always had bad digestion and low blood sugar that would make me pass out starting as a toddler but it was EBV that caused CFS in me and spraining my back a decade later made me develop severe Fibro and the CFS that had become mild became severe too.

I also went into perimeno after spraining my back and we know the hormone system is interlinked with the immune system.

I just don't know my family history because I'm adopted. The one thing I do know is that my mother was allergic to Penicilin and I am allergic to all ABX which fits the profile of a person with CFS.
  4. loto

loto Member

i often think my fibro was caused from a severe disc herniation, and the surgery I had to take care of getting the herniated disc out, to alleviate all the pressure it was putting on my nerve, causing my legs to go numb and heavy, not to mention all the pain it caused. After all this was when i started with the symptoms of FM.
    As an adult, I've only been very ill once, probably about 10 years ago. I had the flu so bad I honestly wanted to die.
    Anyway, don't know really what I'm trying to say, if anything, I guess just that your post here reminded me of why I think I now have FM.
    I will just be glad if/when the come up with the test to tell us if we have this retrovirus or not. I think that would help all of us out tremendously!!!

loto
  5. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

"i often think my fibro was caused from a severe disc herniation, and the surgery I had to take care of getting the herniated disc out, to alleviate all the pressure it was putting on my nerve, causing my legs to go numb and heavy, not to mention all the pain it caused. After all this was when i started with the symptoms of FM."

That's exactly how my FM started, too. I feel like I may have had the illness, but it didn't show up full force until after my herniated disk surgery.
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

It's very interesting to hear everyone's stories and I'm sorry for all the suffering you all have been through.

loto, if you aren't sure you have fibro, you can get the tenderpoint exam.
  7. loto

loto Member

I was given the exam and diagnosed about a year and a half ago.
  8. loto

loto Member

that's interesting.
    All of my problems started after my surgery, I think. At least that's when I noticed everything and realized all of my problems were related and not a ton of different little things!!!! UGH!
    loto
  9. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I just reread this thread and realized that what you were saying earlier.
    Thanks for explaining more.

When testing becomes available I hope that people who have Fibro get tested. I'm so curious to see if those with Fibro-only have XMRV.

tee
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2009]
  10. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

I have always suspected that many people who have been diagnosed with FM may have the combo FM and CFS or actually may have CFS and not FM.

Reason is that, for example in my city, many doctors are more comfortable diagnosing FM than CFS. Reason? There is the pressure point test for FM. I don't have a CFS person in Birmingham, AL. I ended up seeing a doctor in Atlanta. I even asked someone who specializes in dysautonomia, if she knew of a Birmingham doctor willing to treat CFS patients. Answer was no. She suggested I stick with doctor in Atlanta even if I have to drive three hours.

But most rheumatologists, even here in Birmingham, will treat and diagnose FM.

Tina
  11. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Tina,

The WPI did say they weren't sure if the fibro-only controls really only have fibro or if they actually also have undiagnosed CFS. I'm so curious!