XMRV & Selenium

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannah, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Shannah

Shannah Member

Someone posted this site in another thread

talking about supplements that are beneficial for HIV.

If you click on the Selenium link, which a lot of PWC's take for viral issues, it states that selenium disrupts HIV but also increases CD4 and T cells.

If we have XMRV though, aren't these the very cells that the virus is replicated through? If so, it would seem that selenium is not a good supplement to use for PWC's.

Opinions or comments from anyone?
  2. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

I take Selenium, still sick.... It is just another scam.
  3. Shannah

Shannah Member

Well if this information is correct, then I guess my point is that if we have XMRV, selenium will increase replication of the virus and make us sicker.

On a wider scale maybe we should be checking all of our supplements to see if any of them are increasing these T and B cells and eliminate those that are.
  4. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Interesting! Selenium also helps heal injuries, too!

Thanks for this tid-bit of info!

Fight :)
  5. Shannah

Shannah Member

I didn't know that selenium was good for healing injuries.

It's good for so many things ie. thyroid, immunity, detox, cancer prevention, reduces arterial plaque, inhibiting viral replication. I've been taking it on and off for years.

I must say though that I was just trying to figure out if it was the selenium or the zinc that was making me feel worse these days.

Does anyone else see the significance of knowing how this virus replicates? If selenium boosts the T & B cells (which I had not seen before reading this article), I'll bet there's other supplements like this that people with XMRV shouldn't be taking. I've investigated some of the things I'm taking but it's tedious work. I hope Judy Mikovits addresses some of these issues more specifically on Jan 22nd.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I completely understand what you are asking, but unfortunately I do not have the answer. I have often had similar thoguhts related to supplements, hormones, etc. It is really tricky with CFS, bc in some ways it can act similar to an autoimmune disorder (parts of the immune system get overactive and attack things that they should not be attacking), and other parts seem to be totally overwhelmed by being constantly turned "on" and as a result they are insufficient to get rid of new germs, viruses, etc. So, we need to boost our immune systems and at the same time, we need to get them pointed in the rt direction, if that makes any sense.

Plus, if as you said, parts of our immune systems are actually replicating the retrovirus and making us worse, and if we then supplement with something that boosts the cells that are doing this, it would definitely seem to make the situation even worse. I know that many of us have too few natural killer cells, so it would seem that helping to boost them would be good, but I am not sure how exactly they impact XMRV and how selenium impacts them. (I understand some of this really well, and I am not so clear on other parts, so I do completely get what you a e asking, but like I said I don't have an answer.)
  7. Shannah

Shannah Member

What you're saying makes perfect sense in light of this conundrum many of us seem to be in.

I'm still recovering from a 3 month nightmarish period of treating for Lyme, herxing a great deal yet actually seemingly to be getting sicker. Digging deeper into XMRV, it's making more sense now as to why this has happened when I research some of the properties of the botanicals that I was taking.

As far as NK cells are concerned, it's my understanding that we need to boost these but without boosting the T & B cells. Some of the Lyme botanicals boost both. So I could have been targeting other infections and causing a die off on the one hand while making the viral issue worse.

Of course, I don't know if I have XMRV yet. But if it isn't that, I'll bet it's something that behaves similarly. Understanding a little bit about the way it operates has opened up a whole new way of looking at the criteria of what supplements and botanicals to stay away from.
  8. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Very Interesting comment! I've always wondered things like this. In this type of sense, you and I think so alike.

Like, I ask the following:

1) Could anti-virals be causing bacterial infections?

2) If antibiotics cause yeast infections, what does it do to our brain?

3) If we take Valtrex or some other anti-virals, does it leave the body to feed on the viruses being attacked, which breed bacterial infections?

4... okay, I'll stop since my brain isn't working yet.

Fight :)
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2009]
  9. Shannah

Shannah Member

Someone on another board explained that selenium doesn't boost the infected cells but rather it interferes with the virus thus allowing the T & B cells to rise.

Wish they had made that clear in the article.
  10. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

I agree that these are probably extremely good questions to be asking and should be on the minds of researchers looking into this retrovirus. I would imagine the best bet would be when using alternative and supplemental therapies we should approach it in three ways:

Immune MODULATION, not stimulation

Things that act directly on viral, retroviral, bacterial, etc. infections.

General nutrition that focuses of body support. Things that support heart, brain, organs, glands, etc.

I have read many places where people say that we shouldn't focus on stimulation, but correction and balance. I would say I agree with this theory. My best experiences have been with modulation and support, never stimulating.

11. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Steve said it just right. Modulation and support, never stimulation, work best. Very interesting thread. Take care all. Marie
  12. equanimous

equanimous New Member

My guess would be that it's the zinc that's making you feel worse. Zinc makes me feel really tired. It lowers cortisol levels which is especially bad if you already have adrenal fatigue. As far as I can tell, selenium makes me feel better. I avoid zinc even though it is supposed to have a positive effect on the immune system. Just my two cents.