XMRV Transmission

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spacee, Nov 3, 2009.

1. spacee

spacee Member

I just read on Facebook a statement today by Dr. Bell that Dr. Petterson stated that they do not know how the XMRV is transmitted. That it might "piggyback" on a bigger herpes virus.

Those are some of the viruses implicated for years with XAND. EBV, HHV6, etc.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

actually if the whole CFS thing weren't so horrible and affecting people so badly, it would be an unbelievably fascinating puzzle -at least I think so.....maybe I'm just weird that way ; )
  3. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

If XMRV can get thru the placent to the baby, and scientists say it
    can be transmitted through blood and saliva, is the first 'transmissable'
    and the second makes it contagious?

I am confused about the two.

4. spacee

spacee Member

And I don't have the answer. Very sorry about that.

5. spacee

spacee Member

6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

1.transmissible - (of disease) capable of being transmitted by infection
    catching, communicable, contractable, transmittable, contagious
    infectious - easily spread; "fear is exceedingly infectious; children catch it from their elders"- Bertrand Russell
    2.transmissible - occurring among members of a family usually by heredity; "an inherited disease"; "familial traits"; "genetically transmitted features"

In`fec´tious dis`ease´
    Any disease caused by the entrance, growth, and multiplication of microorganisms in the body; a germ disease. It may not be contagious.

communicable disease
    Any disease transmitted from one person or animal to another; also called contagious disease. Sometimes quarantine is required to prevent the spread of disease.

con·ta·gious (kn-tjs)
    1. Of or relating to contagion.
    2. Transmissible by direct or indirect contact; communicable: a contagious disease.
    3. Capable of transmitting disease; carrying a disease: stayed at home until he was no longer contagious.
    4. Spreading or tending to spread from one to another; infectious: a contagious smile.

Confused about the difference between infectious and contagious?

Infections are diseases that are caused by microscopic germs (such as bacteria or viruses) that get into the body and cause problems. Some — but not all — infectious diseases spread directly from one person to another. Infections and other diseases that spread from person to person are said to be contagious.

Some infections spread to people from an animal or insect, not another human. Lyme disease is an example: You can't catch it from someone you're hanging out with or pass in the street. It comes from the bite of an infected tick.

Contagious diseases (such as the flu, colds, or other infections) spread from person to person in several ways. One way is through direct physical contact, like touching or kissing a person who has the infection. Another way is when an infectious microbe travels through the air after someone nearby sneezes or coughs. Sometimes people get contagious diseases by touching or using something an infected person has touched or used — like sharing a straw with someone who has mono or stepping into the shower after someone who has athlete's foot.

Even if an infection or other disease is contagious, being exposed to it does not mean a person will automatically get sick. Our immune systems do a great job of warding off the germs that cause many diseases.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2009]
  7. spacee

spacee Member

I think I need to copy that!

8. Lillie17

Lillie17 New Member

Yes, Tammie. I agree. The whole XMRV thing is fascinating. Even though it IS terrible, it is interesting. But somehow that helps. Looking at the scientific, intellectual side helps me not think of the debilitating physical side.

Wouldn't it be great to be a research scientist in this field now!