xocai chocolate

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crickett, Jul 26, 2010.

1. crickett

crickett New Member

I would like to know if anyone has heard of this chocolate that is being promoted to help with arthoritis and fibro and fatigue. I have a friend who lives in owensboro and they are promoting this stuff like crazy . Yes it is another multi marketing gemic thats why i am looking here to see if anyone else tried it. I think they are saying the power chocolate??? I hate that we are so bad but anything to help us i sure appreciate it. thanks crickett
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

haven't heard of them, but from quickly looking at their website, I see that they make a misleading claim (more about that in a minute) and that their products are high in oxalate which can increase pain in some people.....otherwise basically they seem to be fairly normal chocolate products with some added antioxidants, and their cookies (unless very large) are quite caloric for a single cookie

the claim I mentioned is that they say they are not made with high fructose corn syrup (which is increasingly being cast as very unhealthful & as one of the reasons behind metabolic syndrome and weight issues, as well as other problems).....these chocolates technically are not made with HFCS; however, they are made with crystalline fructose which is almost entirely fructose that comes from corn (so basically a higher fructose corn syrup than HFCS!!).....in other words, though they try to spin it as being healthy (& they explain further on this subject, but what they say is completely contradictory to what I have read from other sources that I trust a lot more than the company advertising their product to make money)...oh and crystalline fructose can contain small amounts of arsenic, too (not sure if its enough to really be an issue, but certainly won't help our already taxed bodies any)

anyway, just from finding out that these are high in oxolate makes me really wonder how they can claim that they help with pain when as I said oxalate can cause pain.....then moving on to their very misleading claims about crystalline fructose, I would definitely not buy into anythign else they say....and like I said I found this from a very quick perusal of their site.....there could be more issues with the product that I didn't take the time to find
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2010]
  3. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Looks like they are just riding the chocolate bandwagon--that chocolate is high in antioxidants. Then they add blueberries and acai and other things to increase the antioxidants. But with chocolate you have to be careful about the sugar and just eat a little of it. There's plenty other places to get antioxidants, albeit not as fun! And there IS that chemical in chocolate that makes you feel like you're in love. :)

I'm sure this Xocai is expensive--all that marketing. Just eat a little good quality chocolate--70 to 85% cocoa--for treat and have a bowl of blueberries (and a bunch of veggies) and you're good. And beans are high in antioxidants.

AuntTammie found the fructose! I notice it's in their antioxidant drink, otherwise, raw cane sugar. Fructose is no good no way.

I must say that's the first time I've seen probiotics in a chocolate product.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

there are very big differences on quality and longevity of probiotics - the best ones need to be refrigerated (but unrefrigerated ones are not necessarily bad)......given that the amt in yogurt (considered a fairly high level food source of probiotcis) is not even enough if people are really trying to supplement with them, I would imagine that the quality and amount in these chocolates are far far insufficient, too

also though it is not real common, many people with CFS actually have problems with taking probiotics (it has to do with increasing levels of H2S and a few other issues.......PR has a thread somewhere about this- sorry I do not rememebr which section it was in)......personally probiotics messed me up and even after stopping them my stomach has not improved much

so on the one hand, the probiotics in this product probably aren't really worth it, and on the other hand it is entirely possible for people to eat too many probiotic supplemented foods (bc they are the big food fad thing these days).......if I were trying to get probiotics, though, I would tend to stay away from the food supplemented sources (that doesn't include the naturally occurring sources like yogurt and kefir) - too hard to tell what you are getting and how much....and would go for the high quality supplements (usually food is better than supplements, but in this case most of the foods are just being supplemented)

not sure how clear this post is - if it doesn't make sense please don't hesitate to ask for clarification......I am in a hurry to get offline rt now and am also a bit foggy so it may well not have come out rt
  5. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I didn't know that about CFS and problems with probioticsl, I'll have to look that up. If I was going to take them, I surely wouldn't try and get them from a chocolate bar, haha.

I just looked it up...I didn't find anything with H2S and probiotics, just that H2S is a bowel toxin produced by bacteria, but maybe I need to look harder. But I guess there's a problem with some strains producing D-Lactate. Here's an excerpt from an interview with Dr. Logan:

"If I understand you correctly its possible that strains of Lactobaccilus bacteria that are frequently found in probiotic preparations could exacerbate lactic acid production. Apparently Lactobaccillus acidophilus turns sugars into lactic acid.

Yes, but not all Lactobacillus strains produce the undesirable D-Lactate (for example, the well-researched Lactobacillus GG does not produce D-Lactate, but most strains of Lactobacillus have not been investigated for D-Lactate production. Its time to map that out properly).

It’s generally true that L.acidophilus does turn sugars into lactic acid, but not all Lactobacillus strains produce the D-Lactate; the L-Lactate can be cleared with a fair amount of ease by most.

Do you recommend staying away from the traditional formulations (L acidophilus)?

Most probiotics marketed under the umbrella term “acidophilus” have not been researched for health outcomes (let alone stability!) and we have no idea of their D-Lactate potential. It is known from studies in short bowel syndrome that unspecified strains of L. acidophilus can be major promoters of D-Lactate.

Kefir has a different bacterial makeup than yogurt. I did read that kefir grains make it deeper into the gut. What about kefir?

Great question! There have been two studies that have looked at D-Lactate production in fermented milk, commercial yogurts and kefir. Interestingly the kefir did not form D-Lactate, yogurt had high concentrations of D-Lactate (over 40%)."