Xyrem- do you have to be in a sleep study to have it prescribed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zenouchy, Dec 10, 2004.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All,

I've been doing a search on "sleep study" and "xyrem", and it looks like anyone who got prescribed xyrem only got it by being in a sleep study. It seems like a very expensive and time-consuming way to get this medication prescribed.

Will a doctor prescribe this med WITHOUT a sleep study? What is the thinking behind this?

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

No, you don't have to have a sleep study to get Xyrem. I had a call from a woman in California once who's psychiatrist prescribed it for her without the study.

And I think that one of the members here got it without a study, but I can't remember who it was.

The problem is that if a doctor wants to prescribe Xyrem, he has to take a course or something - he can't just prescribe it.

My primary care doc (the only one that I've seen in 15 years), told me that he doesn't want to get involved with prescribing Xyrem because he is too busy, so I have to stay with the Neurologist who did my study when getting Xyrem.

3. suzeygirl

suzeygirl New Member

Hello. I have fibro/cfs and nothing helped me sleep. I went to a sleep doctor and had a sleep study done just to make sure I didn't have apnea or RLS. He prescribed me xyrem and I have been sleeping since then. I think if you go to a sleep doctor and talk with him about your options and discuss xyrem, s/he might be willing to give it a shot. It's very expensive though ($1300/month) so if your insurance doesn't cover it, you may not be able to afford it. My doctor had to tweek the diagnosis code a little in order to get it approved, but it was. I wish you luck and highly recommend doing anything you need to in order to get on this medicine. Sleep studies aren't the end of the world!

4. znewby

znewby Member

great question. I noticed feedback on the web is very positive about this drug for fibro. I gather it is the best thing yet coming down the pipe. Does anyone know if the drug is available in Canada? Did users notice a difference in your pain levels afterwards?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2008]