Xyrem Klonopin??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Jun 25, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Anyone know which one feeds serotonin & which one feeds GABA?

I thought Klonopin was a Benzo, which means it would feed GABA.

But someone mentioned that Xyrem gave them "delta" sleep, which would mean it's feeding serotonin??

Thanks for any feedback.

LIGHT*************carole
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Klonopin increases GABA in the brain. I once looked up Xyrem but it's been too long for me to remember what it does. Have you done a web search? I find the info on drugs very helpful when I go to the websites which describe how they work. The least helpful ones are from the pharmaceuticals which make the drugs. They downplay any negative side effects.

Love, Mikie

PS: I just bumped a post from Place on Xyrem for you. Hope you see it. It's a good discussion.

M
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]
  3. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

My doctors told me that one theory about why we don't get good level 3/4 sleep is that the CNS is constantly idling "high".

Xyrem is a CNS depressant. It might not get you into good sleep - some people need other medications with the Xyrem.

However, if you have this problem of a CNS that doesn't "slow down" during sleep, it's virtually impossible to get that good level 3/4 sleep.

Once the CNS is depressed, you may be able to get that sleep, or you may need other medications that change your brain chemistry to get sleep after the CNS issue is dealt with.

Hope this helps,

- julie (is free!)

I love this crazy tragic
    sometimes almost magic
    awful, beautiful life.. - Daryl Worley