Yahoo Sewing Again

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, May 2, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I haven't sewn in years. In fact, when I opened my sewing machine, the tag from 2001 was stil on it from when I had it cleaned and adjusted.

I went to Penney's to price out a valance for above my sliding glass doors to the lanai. They wanted $650 and that was at 60 percent off! Joanne's had drapery and upholstry fabric at 50 percent off, as well as thread. The silk rope piping was 40 percent off and I used my 40 percent off coupon from the Sunday newspaper for the lining fabric which wasn't on sale. All in all, I have about $85 in material but I have enough left over to make two or three matching pillows for the sofa.

So far, everything has gone really well and the valance is going to be beautiful. I've had a bug so have only been able to work on it a little at a time. Still, just doing a little something each day keeps me from feeling like I'm getting nothing done. I may get it finished today. I hope so.

There was an expert seamstress and quilter in the thread row when I was buying my thread. She said that Coats and Clarks thread puts out a lot of fiber dust which can clog sewing machines. I bought Gutermann thread. Thought I would pass this along to anyone here who sews. Heck, I grew up using C&C thread and used it all my life. My machine is working like a new one so I'm not taking any chances.

I'd forgotten the pleasure sewing can bring, at least, when it goes well :) Not to mention the huge savings over having it done professionally. I had to measure and figure out how many panels I would need. Each panel is slightly curved at the bottom. I made a pattern out of newspaper. I think having to challenge myself with numbers has been a bit therapeudic as well. I'll let y'all know how it comes out. Are there any other sewers here (I can't, in good conscious, call myself a seamstress :)

Love, Mikie
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I love sewing with my machine too but not able to do so too often. It took me a year to make the drapes for this house but it was worth it.

I'm not a seamstress either but I do enjoy making something or other when I'm up to it.

3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I have a brand new sewing machine sitting my garage that hasn't been out of the box or used, since I bought it in Aug, 2004. In school and when my girls were little, I used to sew all the time. Then time and obligations got to be too much so I just quit. I was inspired in 2004 to pick it up again and got the new machine. Well, dear b/f had a melt down and everything got side tracked again.

I am going to dig it out and see if I still have the knack. I hate paying those high prices too. And b/f owns an upholstery shop so maybe I can make pillows to sell there.

The wheels are turning! Thanks for the jump start!

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Glad to see there are others here who enjoy sewing. I don't do nearly as much as I once did, but who does? I used to make clothes for the girls when they were little and saved a bundle. I had a garden and canned and froze veggies to eat all winter. Cooking was a delight. Now, it's almost as though I've forgotten how to cook. It's because I live alone and just don't want the mess and to put forth the effort. I'm sure if I cooked again, I'd get back into it. I cooked a lot for Mom before she died just trying to keep her weight up. She loved it when I cooked for her.

I've always wanted to pick up painting--abstract. As far back as I can remember, I've loved modern art. Guess that'll be my next creative effort.

Love, Mikie
  5. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I am a single eater too. I bought one of those things that you put the food in a plastic bag and suck the air out of it. That way you can freeze the food or just store it. I LOVE IT! I love to go to the warehouse clubs but always get the big box/sack of whatever. I made about 10 smaller bags of fish sticks. I bought a cheese cake that is to die for, from a barkery. It was frozen when I got it so I cut it into pieces, sucked the air out of it and now, I can have wonderful cheese cake any time, but I'm not tempted to eat the whole thing so it won't go bad.

Spegetti sauce - freeze it in a bowl then suck the air and I have a dinner any time I want.

A big jar of garlic - I put a scoop in ice trays, froze it and now, I can use just what I need and the rest will stay good for a long time.

It is just such a fun machine. There is a newer one that can judge the amount of air to remove so muffins/bread/buns can be frozen without flattened. I am going to get that one if I ever find a job.

Just a silly toy I thought when I got it, but now, I love it! So great for singles or doubles. You cook a lot, eat a little and freeze the rest for later.

6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I make the banners for my church.

Gutermann thread IS better.

Purchasing the correct needle makes a difference too.

I clean out the bobbin compartment after each project that I do. It is amazing how much lint collects. Sometimes, the lint is from the materials that I use to make the banner.

I strongly urge you not to use your good sewing machine to do that "felting" that is so popular right now.

It is the multiple needles with the barbs on them. That can REALLY clog up your sewing machine.

I also set my thread on a spool upright rather than having it feed from the spool lying on its side. This keeps the existing twists/inch the same as when it comes off of the spool.

When the spool is lying on its side, the existing twisting of the thread is affected.
  7. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I have a small, uncomplacited, lol, sewing machine sitting in a cupboard, because I can not work the durn thing.
    Bobbins have always been a pain to me.

I used to sew, which is what is really frustrating, but, hey if you can do it, maybe there is still Hope for me.

I remeber how the Bobbin area, would get a lot of fuzz build up, never thought about the why of it tho.
    Thanks for answering that puzzle for me, lol

I forgot to mention to you that I am over the MRSA finally, but I still have scars from the skin infections.
    Thank goodness I don't have to take the ABX's anymore.
  8. elliespad

elliespad Member

I'm definately not a seamstress either, but do LOVE to sew. I've made many curtains, valances, toppers. A couple zillion stuffed hot air balloons with hanging baskets, pillow covers, chair pads, doggy beds. I even made a VERY fitted slipcover for an overstuffed rocker last year. Nothing anybody would be willing to pay me to do, but still pretty impressive for my first attempt at making a slipcover. (And it was HELLACIOUSLY hard, remind me never to undertake something like that again). And you have to make your own pattern for those too. I plan to make a cover for an ottoman within the enxt week. It is really rewarding to arrive at a finished product isn't it?

Good to know about the threads.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/04/2007]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't plan on doing a lot of sewing, just finish the valance and the pillows for now. It is good to know that the thread can make a difference; however, the fabric can cause fiber dust too. I'm going to stick the little nozzle on my handheld vacuum and clean out the bobbin area after I'm done.

Bud, I've though about those machines. There's such a variety of them in all price ranges. I was only thinking about them from an economic basis, thinking how long it would take to break even. It didn't occur to me that the convenience factor could be the overriding reason to buy one. Also, eating healthy food is better than eating on the fly.

Sharon, I'm so happy for you. This is really good news. I hope the scarring isn't too bad. I have been here more lately, but sometimes, I don't get here as much. I miss talking with old friends, like you, from this site. Stay well.

Joyfully, I don't know what felting is but I'll stay away from it. My machine is old; it only sews straight and zig-zag, none of the fancy computerized stuff. Lordy, if I had one of those, I'd probably monogram everything in my house. It was bad enough when I got a label machine. Can anyone say, "Obsessive?"

Holy Cow, Ellie, you ARE creative, and brave. The only slipcovers I have come from Surefit and, of course, they never really fit. I tried upholstry in my youth and it turned out OK but not great. Think I'll keep to the simple stuff.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded, including the first responders whom I didn't thank individually. Sometimes, it's catch as catch can when stopping in here but I always appreciate all you kind people here.

Love, Mikie
  10. Jude

Jude New Member

Hi Sharon

I don't come to the board everyday anymore but when I do I always check to see how you are progressing. I am so glad to hear that the MRSA infection has cleared. I know that has been quite a battle.

Most of the "old timers" that I knew somehow managed to get themselves banned. I hope they moved on to better times. Often wonder what happened to the 'Valley Girl'. She was a big help when I first came here.

Since I'm feeling better I spend more time among the normals and they don't irritate me like they used to. I have a two-year-old granddaughter now that I "play with" once a week. If I had spent this much time playing when my kids were small I would never have gotten anything done. But life is short, so play when you can.

I did want you to know that I check on you.

11. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I appericate, that you think of me.
    I often wonder how, some of the previous members/friends are doing.
    Wish we could have a Reuion, of some kind, maybe a good old fashioned Sewing Bee.

Mikie could teach us, how, to make Valances and Pillow's.

How wonderful that your feeling so well, and that you are able to play with your Grandchild. Your treatments, must be working well for you.
    Hope your continue to improve.......

Mikie have you thought about trying to make a Quilt?
    It's not as hard as I thought it would be, I made a small one, Lap size, many years ago and I came across it the other day.
    Wish I could do that again, lol.

Take care,
  12. teacher

teacher New Member

When I read your title, I thought someone had read my mind!
    I'm just getting back into the sewing thing myself.

I usually sew clothing, just for me. I will occasionally sew some really simple Barbie clothes.

I'm not a seamstress either. Good luck with your project!
  13. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Fuzzy bobbons can also be caused by a dull needle. This is especially true if you have sewn over some straight pins. you can just "nick" the edge of a pin and cause a tiny "fish hook" on the end of the needle. Then the fish hook starts catching fibers. Change your needle after a project. Also, the bobbin case usually comes out of the machine. After removing the bobbin, there is usually a little handle to remove the bobbin case. Check your owner's manual. I use a Q tip with a drop of oil on it to snag all those wayward pieces of lint that collect under the bobbin case.

It makes a huge difference in how the bobbin doesn't skip stitches and the consistency of bobbin tension.

Again, if you have never done this, refer to your owner's manual. i don't want you taking something out and not be able to get it back in.

When in doubt, take pictures with your digital camera as you take something apart. Then, you have the pictures to go by if you get confused putting the object back together.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It came out really great. I used a trick I learned from HDTV. I have one of those long flat curtain rods which is about 2 1/2 inches from top to bottom. I bought the velcro with the sticky backing and put it on the top of the rod. I put the softer side of the velcro on the back of the valance. All I had to do was stick it up and it can be taken down for cleaning.

I don't think I'm up to making a quilt. I've done some hand quilting on smaller projects but I have ADD and it's really hard for me to keep at things. If I can't sit down and get something done, I tend to want to forget about it. It has taken a lot of self-discipline for me to do the valance and paint rooms in my condo. It took months to paint but, little by little, it got done.

I want to get the pillows done so I can put the machine away and get some other, more pressing things accomplished.

I'm really grateful for all the tips about cleaning the bobbin case, damaged needles, and fabric fuzz. Now that the machine has been cleaned and adjusted, I want to keep it clean.

Love, Mikie