Yasko Protocol Conference

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by richvank, Apr 19, 2010.

1. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

Dr. Amy Yasko has scheduled a conference (called the Yasko Protocol Conference) for July 30 through August 1, 2010 at the Hilton Logan Airport hotel in Boston.

The conference will include application of the Yasko protocol to CFS and other disorders in addition to autism.

There will be a session for practitioners on Friday, July 30.

On Saturday, July 31, there will be talks by Dr. Yasko and other doctors.

The Sunday session will be devoted to questions and answers.

Dr. Neil Nathan and I have been invited to speak on Saturday about our experience in applying a simplified version of the Yasko protocol for treatment of CFS, and I’m looking forward to doing so.

Additional details about the conference can be found at

I will be happy to meet any of you who are interested and able to come.

Rich Van Konynenburg

[This Message was Edited on 04/19/2010]
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I wish I could attend, but there's no way it's physically or financially possible for me.
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i know this is kinda off subject, but i would like your opinion on a product i found on an autism website it's

"TMG is trimethylglycine extracted from sugar beets. TMG, also called anhydrous betaine, contains methyl groups. Methyl donors, such as TMG and Folic Acid, and methylated B vitamins, such as Methylcobalamin (methyl-B12) and P5P (methyl-B6) and methylated folic acid are required for converting homocysteine back into methionine and for the accurate synthesis of DNA and RNA, which is essential for the production of normal cells"

Just wondering, could this be used as a simplied form of the methylation protocol?? just checking, i still have not tried any Protocol. my brain wont let me sort all of it out. i dont know why but all the different supps and how much to take confuses the heck outta me:(

i want to try the protocol, as im not getting any better thats for sure, but honestly dont know where or how much to start with,
  4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Kat.

Trimethylglycine stimulates the alternative pathway that converts homocysteine to methionine. This pathway is present in cells of the liver and the kidneys in humans, but not in other organs.

The chief goal of the methylation cycle block treatment is to lift the partial block in the main pathway, which involves the enzyme methionine synthase. This is important, because this pathway is linked to the folate metabolism, and it is important that that be restored to normal, too.

In the simplified treatment protocol I have suggested (based on Amy Yasko's more complete treatment program) there is a little TMG in the multi that is used. This is helpful, because the altnernate pathway can produce some SAMe, and that is needed by the main pathway for regenerating methyl B12 when it becomes oxidized. So it helps to have some TMG support along with support for methionine synthase. But it's really necessary to get the main pathway working correctly in order to recover.

I'll paste the current protocol below.

I recommend running the methylation pathways panel before doing this treatment, to find out for sure whether you have a partial methylation cycle block and glutathione depletion, and also to supply baseline values for comparison later on in the treatment, to see how it's going. It isn't always easy to tell just from the symptoms, especially at first, because detox and die-off of pathogens can cause some symptoms to be worse for a while, while others are improving.

Best regards,

April 18, 2009

(Extracted from the full treatment program
    developed by Amy Yasko, Ph.D., N.D.
    which is used primarily in treating autism [1])

1. FolaPro [2]: ¼ tablet (200mcg) daily
    2. Actifolate [3]: ¼ tablet daily
    3. General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula [4]: start with ¼ tablet and work up dosage as tolerated to 2 tablets daily
    4. Phosphatidyl Serine Complex [5]: 1 softgel capsule daily
    5. Activated B12 Guard [6]: 1 sublingual lozenge daily

All these supplements can be obtained from http://www.holisticheal.com, or all but the third one can be obtained from other sources.
    The first two supplement tablets are difficult to break into quarters. We recommend that you obtain (from any pharmacy) a good-quality pill splitter to assist with this process. They can, alternatively, be crushed into powders, which are then separated on a flat surface using a knife or single-edged razor blade, and the powders can be mixed together. They can be taken orally with water, with or without food.
    These supplements can make some patients sleepy, so in those cases they take them at bedtime. They can be taken at any time of day, with or without food.
    GO SLOWLY. As the methylation cycle block is lifted, toxins are released and processed by the body, and this can lead to an exacerbation of symptoms. IF THIS HAPPENS, try smaller doses, every other day. SLOWLY work up to the full dosages.
    Although this treatment approach consists only of nonprescription nutritional supplements, a few patients have reported adverse effects while on it. Therefore, it is necessary that patients be supervised by physicians while receiving this treatment.

[1] Yasko, Amy, and Gordon, Garry, The Puzzle of Autism, Matrix Development Publishing, Payson, AZ, 2006, p. 49.
    [2] FolaPro is a registered trademark of Metagenics, Inc.
    [3] Actifolate is a registered trademark of Metagenics, Inc.
    [4] General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula is formulated and supplied by Holistic Health Consultants LLC.
    [5] Phosphatidyl Serine Complex is a product of Vitamin Discount Center.
    [6] Activated B12 Guard is a registered trademark of Perque LLC.

Methylation Pathways Panel

This panel will indicate whether a person has a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion. I recommend that this panel be run before deciding whether to consider treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block. I am not associated with the lab that offers this panel.

The panel requires an order from a physician or a chiropractor. The best way to order the panel is by fax, on a clinician’s letterhead.

Available from:

Vitamin Diagnostics, Inc.
    540 Bordentown Avenue, Suite 4930
    South Amboy, NJ 08879
    Phone: (732) 721-1234
    Fax: (732) 525-3288

Lab Director: Tapan Audhya, Ph.D.

Dr. Audhya is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone.

Rich Van Konynenburg, Ph.D.
    Independent Researcher and Consultant
  5. equanimous

equanimous New Member

Wow, that seems ridiculously expensive to me. Is that typical? I mean I could maybe see paying that much for a one-on-one visit with a doctor, but for a conference? I guess some parents of kids with autism might be willing to shell out this amount of money for the chance to have even just a couple seconds of Dr. Yasko's time, but I don't see how this could be financially realistic for CFIDS patients who have already spent so much money on the trial-and-error method of treatment and useless doctors.
  6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, equanimous.

I hear you. For people coming from a distance, there is also the cost of travel and the cost of a hotel and some meals. It adds up fast.

In comparison to other conferences, this is actually a fairly low registration fee, at least in my experience.

I've never run a conference myself, but I think that the rental of space in the hotel for the conference sessions themselves is the major expense. If there are invited speakers, that can also be a major expense, if the conference pays for their travel. They haven't committed to paying for my travel. I think it will depend on how many people actually sign up.

When one sets up a conference, one doesn't know how many will decide to come, and in tough economic times like now, one could end up "holding the bag" if the attendance is low. So there is some risk on the part of those sponsoring a conference, and it isn't easy to determine what the registration fee should be ahead of time, which has to be done. If one sets it too high, it's likely that fewer people will come. If too low, the conference could lose money for the sponsors. So it's kind of tough on the sponsor's end, too.

I'll try to report on anything that seems significant after the conference for those not able to come.

Best regards,

7. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

for clearing that up for me, one more question. my Dr. that i've been seeing for years said i do have low atp levels and low Gluthathione. so i think she has tested me for the methylation cycle block?
    is vitamine diagnostics the only place that tests for this?? she has managed to get my atp levels up close to normal sveral times, but has a hrd time keeping me at a decent level.
    i know this is off subject and i apologize, but id hate to do the test if i've already had it done.
    thanks again for the info!
  8. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Kat.

Yes, Vitamin Diagnostics is the only lab that offers this panel.

The reason ATP will not stay up is that if there is a partial methylation cycle block, glutathione will not stay up, and if it doesn't stay up, the mitochondria will continue to be dysfunctional. The mitochondria normally make most of our ATP, so that will mean that the ATP will not stay up.

The key to the whole thing is to fix the partial methylation cycle block, if you have one. The Vitamin Diagnostics panel will tell you if you have one.

Best regards,