Yawning Excessively, Anyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Nov 8, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Well, another problem I am having is excessive yawning, especially at night and early morning. Just wondering if anyone has this if so what do you do?
    It is so aggerviating.

2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I'm not sure if this may have something to do with it, but when I was first having problems with my thyroid, I felt the need to yawn a lot, almost like I needed to take in more air. Apparently, this is quite common with hypothryoidism.

I haven't experienced it since I started on medication.

All the best,

3. 3gs

3gs New Member

oh my gosh
    never thought of it before but i yawn like crazy. the other night i thought my jaw was going to lock up or something!

now i think about it its not just because im tired either!

wonder if it is thyroid? i have no doc treating me right now so just gathering info for rhemy in dec.

love your posts greatgran feel like you read my mind
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks Elleen, I have had my thyroid checked many times have read the reports all normal. I was hoping some of my problems were thyroid related but according to doctors my thyroid is fine.

3gs, poor you if you are like me, then you are somewhat miserable.. I did try the zoloft and that is when most of my yawning became much worse. On, zoloft NO MORE, can't stand the way it makes me feel. I did a google search and SSRI's do cause excessice yawning. Not sure that is my case . Seems I can't find a thing to help me.

Thanks for your replies,
  5. romalaw

romalaw Member

When I first became down with CFS ten years ago, I was quite ill. One of the things that I noticed was that it was difficult for me to yawn. and it was a very uncomfortable feeling. During that time, I read somewhere, I can't remember where, that yawning is good for us and that problems with yawning indicated serious illness.

I was so greatful when I noticed I could yawn again that I broke down in tears. I've never taken a yawn for granted since.
  6. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

Hey me again, I yawn quite often, even when I am not tired, I think they say it is the lack of oxygen. Just another problem we have to deal with, I have no idea what to do about it. Dreary days it is really bad! How about you? We seem to have a lot in common, it is nice to be able to talk to someone who understands what we are going through. People that don'r have it, including Doctors, have no idea what we go through every day.

Let me know, if you find a cure for yawning? SB
  7. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

My mother was a chronic yawner and it got worse over the years, especially the last year or two. Turns out she had heart disease, had a triple bypass surgery a few months ago (she's 64), and no longer yawns...it was impossible talking to her on the phone, and now, no yawning!

Indeed, she was not getting enough oxygen. Original tests showed little signs of the disease.
    Maybe you could bring this up to your doctor if you think it could be a reason for your yawning.