Yea!! 3 more days till Groundhog day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jan 30, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

This is always a hint of spring for all of us that have to put up with cold, snow and cabin fever!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Up Here in MT. they Have what they call " cabin Fever days " alot of people get togeather for "Down Hill Bar stool races" Basicaly they attach Skis to the Barstool Legs and race down hill! Some add Handle Bars etc!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's a fun thing to watch~~~~~~ Also there's Chilly Cookoffs and Bon fires,,,and Beer chuggin! Oh Yeah and Hilbilly Music and Dancing,,,,,,,,,It's alot of fun being a spectator!,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 01/30/2007]
  2. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Ow ... That sounds so painful.... I have only spent 2 or 3 days of my life cooped up in the snow. My first and only snow storm was about 4 years ago. We were at my sister's house in GA and we got about 6 inches. I loved watching it fall.

Up until then I had no idea that when snow melts it would make your clothes wet ... Yep .. floridian here ... we kept throwing out clothes in the dryer so we could go back out ...

Down here we have people who surf year round. I used to take my daughter to the beach to surf when it was cold here. Forty - 60 degrees didn't phase her if she had a wet suit on ...

Meanwhile, I was huddled up in a blanket drinking hot cocoa and waiting for her to get tired ...

Hope he sticks his head out... xchoc

3. mary124

mary124 New Member

--- I think I've seen my share of Winter here in Texas for too long!! We already had a few days of Winter here where they shut down EVERYTHING (since we're not use to it, businesses were closed, stores, malls, roads,etc) I know people who are from the East laughed at us saying they couldn't believe this!!. Anyway, we are getting another round of winter this weekend - suppose to be colder than the last time, but not with ice/sleet. They say its going to last at least a week or so. Guess I better find my long johns!!
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Hey that's No fair! Lolol surfin at 60 degrees! If I could afford it i'd be a Snow Bird! Yeah the snow is so pretty! especially on the Mountians and caked on the trees!,,,,,,,But yes unfortionatley it's wet too! lol ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I Don't mind it! the cold is a whole different story though!,,,,,,,,,,,Glad your warm!,,,,,,,S
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes this darn Messed up wheather! We always do the stock up thing ~~ on toilet paper and your basic food staples when the wheather forcast sounds Nasty!,,,,,,,,,,Stay warm!...S
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

couple weeks ago. One clue was: Groundhog's first name.

Took a while to figure out Phil as in Phil Punxutawney.

My uncle and I went hunting for groundhogs about 50 years ago. While we were standing on a woodpile a big old groundhog crawled out of the pile right by my shoe.

I couldn't shoot him. He was too cute. A beautiful golden color. I had expected him to be brown like a bear.
  7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I looked up Montana and it has got to be cold up there ...

I wish all of us lived in FL. It'd be great to have others
    around who understood this illness. My 80 year old neighbors run circles around me ... LOL

I was just wondering do people just stay inside when it gets down to a certain temp ? Does the snow keep you barracaded in ? xchoc

[This Message was Edited on 01/30/2007]
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Hello again!
    I'm afraid i would never be able to shoot a Groundhoug eighter! I've never actualy seen one! We have what they call Gophers around Here in the spring and summer's or Prarie Dogs I guess is another name for them! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,They live under ground and hibernate all winter!and appear to be about one-third the size of P.Phil!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,When we were kids it was ok to shot them with 22 Rifiels (sp) down in the feilds below our homes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not sure about that now!

Xchoc~~~ Well I guess I'm climatized for MT. LOlol It gets cold and snowy and you can go to the local gym or Mall and walk (and Shop) etc,,,,,But right now it's about 30 degrees out so thats warm enough to go out and walk around on the Snow shoveled sidewalks ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,They also use alot of Snowblowers aroud here! But yes it's a time to Read ,Net, crafts, Movies, and of course there's alot of people who Ski, and snowshoe and snowmobile around here,,,,,,,,,,,All i can do is walk when it's clear enough too! My girls got me a pair of thoes things that you put on your boots called "Yak Tracks" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,They just fit over the soles and keep you from slipping around!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Our temps range from -15 to 38 above!
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I LOVE GROUNDHOG'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Because .... it's my birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

I know it's earlie but Happy Birthday anyway!,,,,,,,,Hope you get to do something fun!,,,,,,,,,,S
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks!

I'm almost homebound due to my back problems, bad knees, and a ton of other medical problems, but one of my daughters has offered to come down (with her husband) and get me to take me out to dinner at a place of my choice!

My husband said that he did NOT want to go because he goes to bed between 6:30 - 7:00 pm! So, I'm going to let him eat a bologna sandwich and I'M GOING OUT TO EAT!!!!!

I think I want a steak at the Outback Steak House!!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

Janet~~ What is it with These Husbands and Birthdays??! I say Go Eat Steak! good idea!

Linda~~ Lolol Thats funny! want to Trade States? Lollo

13. elliespad

elliespad Member

THANK GOD you didn't shoot that sweet little Ground Hog. As I was reading that, I started to get angry, then you redeemed yourself. We have a Ground Hog who lives under our shed, been there about 3 or 4 years I'd say. He is a medium brown color, nice and fat. Very timid. If he sees us moving in the house, he holds perfectly still, then scurries off under the shed. We LOVE him. It never occcurred to name him Phil.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2007]
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

Turns out that I don't get to go eat steak afterall! :(

When my other daughter found out that her sister was going to take me out to eat, she got highly irritated with her--saying it would make her look bad--and she couldn't go Friday night due to her boys' basketball games.

She talked her sister into waiting until Sunday so they all could be her at the same time and they are going to fix dinner for me and have ordered a B/D cake.

That will be fine, but I certainly will miss the night out for a steak dinner .... with or without my hubby!!

In fact, it's better to go out without him, because he always wants to eat and run .... he has to get home to get to bed early! Ugh! Never likes to sit and talk and relax and enjoy himself!

These men!!! Ugh!

Janet
  15. sisland

sisland New Member

I Know how the Kid thing goes! I Have 3 grown Daughters and, This year we all celebrated late also! Due to work schedules Ect,,,,,,,,,But they always call and sing Happy Bithday on the phone to me!loll ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Order Take out! lol Just an idea!,,,,,,,They love you as their Mom! Thats what counts! Sunday will be a great day for you!,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,S