Yea! Going To Colorado!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had wanted to get back to CO to see my kids there sometime around the holidays but flights have been cut and fares increased. I went online and found nothing. This morning, in the newpaper was an article that flights had increased for Dec. and fares were reduced. I made a beeline for my computer. I got a $97 flight to CO. The whole round trip was only $320. Seats were disappearing as I sat trying to set dates. Oy! I was lucky to get these flights.

I called my daughter in the Denver area and I get in the same day that she finishes her term in nursing school. We didn't plan it that way; it just worked out. Because I got such a good price, I have enough miles on my credit card so that the flights will be paid for. I got a great price on an intermediate size car too. The kids always want me to drive one of theirs but I prefer to rent one. I haven't seen my kids in CO for a year. I'm sooooo excited.

My kids in Atlanta have a condo in the CO mountains but I don't know when they are planning to be there. I hope they can come but we will have to wait to see. If not, my daughter can bring my grandson to the Atlanta airport during one of the layovers and I can see them. They had planned to come down but all the flights into South FL were oversold. It can be almost impossible to get in or out of here during Snowbird Season.

I am just soooooo happy. Sometimes in life, it seems that things are meant to be. Today was like that. I only worked three hours and it went by so fast. Everyone was crazy, what with voting and buying food, wine, and beer for tonight. I guess they were either planning on celebrating after the returns or planning on drowning their sorrows. In any case, I think people are happy it's finally here. People were in a good mood and we had a lot of fun. I love my job when it's like that.

Well, just had to share my good luck with my friends here. I know I'm not the only one who misses kids and grandkids. I keep y'all in my prayers and hope everyone else gets to be with family sometime near the holidays.

Love, Mikie
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that was a stroke of good luck, getting the flights so cheap, no wonder you're thrilled.

I hope all your family manage to get to Coldorado when you're there, I'm really happy for you.

3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

How nice that it worked out so well for you. I know you will have a great time.

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Yea for you!! I can feel your excitement! I live here in Colorado - love it of course. Are you coming for Thanksgiving or Christmas - or just staying for both?? LOL!!

Nothing like being with family. I'm very happy that things have worked out for you.
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

with your family!! I am so jealous!!

You deserve some time off!
  6. tonakay

tonakay New Member

That's great news, I'm so happy for you. I don't think my mother is coming in for any of the holidays from Az because of the flights being cut and the increase in price so it was meant to be that you found this deal!

Happy packing my friend!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For your sweet replies. I really appreciate it that we not only support one another when things are going downhill but also when we find some happiness.

The only flights I could find are leaving on Dec. 15th and returning on the 19th. There was nothing affordable for Thanksgiving or Christmas. This will work out because it is in between and close enough to Christmas to feel like a Holiday trip. That my daughter will be out of school is such a blessing. We are the kind who love to laze around in robes with coffee and chat. After dinner, we love to take the dog for a neighborhood walk.

My kids live in the suburbs SW of the Denver Metro Area in the foothills. When I lived there, I lived in the burbs south of Denver, off I-25. I grew up in Boulder and went to CU before moving to the Denver area. Last time I visited, my ex wanted to take a trip to Boulder and have a famous Sinkburger at "The Sink," a very old beer joint on the campus. I want to take some pics of where I grew up and went to school for a scrapbook for my grandson.

Again, thanks for all your kind support. I pray for everyone here and your families. I wish we could all be with loved ones.

Love, Mikie
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

This is so Wonderful!,,,From one Mom to another whose Kids live far away,,,,,,as you say OY!,,,,Have fun!,,,,,some things are just ment to be!,,,,,,HUgs!,,,,Sis
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'll be sure to look up and wave at you as you fly over my house! I'm in the SE burbs.

If you get a chance, check out the new Denver Art Museum. It's awesome. I just took my kids there and we all loved it (make sure you see the foxes--I can tell you more, if you want to know more). The new addition has some really good exhibits and fun architecture.

Mikie-I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts. The seeds you plant always get me thinking (not always an easy feat)!

Enjoy your stay!
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks again for your kind good wishes. Just spoke to my daughter in Atlanta, the one who has a condo in the CO mtns. She said they would plan on being there for at least part of my visit. They want to start Andy skiing this year--he's three. Now, I don't know whether or not to take my skis with me. The airlines charge more for extra baggage and it would be a hassle. Andy will only be skiing on the bunny slopes and I could handle that as I've skied all my life. Perhaps if I decide to watch him ski, I'll just take my boots and rent a pair of skis. It might actually be better to wait til next year when he is more proficient in skiing.

I doubt that we will get into the downtown area of Denver as we will probably be quite busy out in the burbs, on a trip to Boulder, and up to the mountains. I love museums, though, and would like to catch it on another trip.

The main thing is that we will all be together for the first time in ages. That is the best Christmas gift I could get. I watch Suze Ormond and she always says our priorities should be family, then money, and then things. I try to keep that in mind (on my way to the poor house :) Just kidding. I've had more hours at the store because the Snowbirds are here in throngs--that's one reason there are so few flights. I'm trying to conserve because if this summer is like last summer, there will be few hours to go around then. Gotta make the money stretch. At least, we will be getting a SS raise and no increase in our Part B Medicare. But, I digress...

Again, thank you all for your replies.

Love, Mikie
  11. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Oh Mikie, I am so happy for you.

I know my daughter is only 1 1/2 and i get to see her often, but I can't imagine going a year w/o seeing her.

You deserve it, I am so glad everything worked out good for you.

12. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I'm so happy you got a good deal on your plane ticket! It will be so wonderful spending time with your family. I always feel so good when I'm surrounded with family (well most of them, tee hee).

I love to ski also but since this darn fibro I can no longer handle it. But it would be so much fun watching your little grandson learn to ski.

I am so happy for you! I really feel that being with people you love strengthens the soul.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's so great to have so many good wishers and I really appreciate it. My soul is already lifted and I am blessed. I ask God to bless everyone here because we have so many challenges just trying to live a half-way normal life.

I doubt I could ski anything like I used to but I do believe I could handle the kiddie slopes without too much residual pain. It's not the actual skiing which would be hard; it's the pain the next day. Just trying to work out at home leaves me in pain. The Guai, along with the Klonopin, has reversed my FMS pain as long as I don't try to do anything too physical. I do get some physical activity working and that seems to be about as much as I can handle. Swimming is the one activity which gives me a workout without pain. I really need to get to the pool more often.

I'm going out to try to find some kind of black shoes to wear in CO. I want something casual but something which will keep my feet warm. I could always wear sneakers but I kind of want something a bit dressier but still casual. Oh well, I'll know them when I see them. I have to stop at the custom shoe store to buy new work shoes. The ones I got a year ago have worn out from the inside out and no longer support my feet and back. They are a bit more expensive but well worth it.

Hope everyone has a good day. I'm off to shower and head out to shop, something I don't do much of anymore.

Love, Mikie
  14. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

I was just delighted to hear you were able to get a special present by getting a flight to see your kids. You might see by my profile that I am north of the Denver area myself. My son used to come every Christmas from California, not has a serious girlfriend with a family and busy and all and didn't come last year or probably this year. You know how hard this is and so I wanted to show you my happiness for you.
    My daughter is in Ohio, married and also very busy trying to keep job and husband doesn't like to travel. I haven't seen her for about 5 or 6 years. Sob, sob. pity party!! sorry.

Funny, my brother, mother and brothers wife and kids live in Atlanta area. I don't see them either. I am again very happy for you.

I am okay. Sad, but oh well we do our best don't we? I can't travel myself.

So a very happy holidays to you from someone who understands how great your story is! Hugs, Penny
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think traveling is very difficult these days, even for "normal" people. We have to get there soooo early and sit around a noisy, uncomfortable airport. For people near my age, our children have such busy lives just trying to keep their jobs and raise their children. With the economy the way it is, many of us just can't afford to fly. I'm lucky in that my daughter can bring my grandson down from Atlanta when they can get on flights standby. Right now, though, the flights are full.

Thank you all so much for your kind good wishes. My prayers are for everyone that misses family. It is especially difficult around the holidays.

BTW, I have kept a few items of cold-weather clothes. I got a cute pair of black suede shoes with fleece lining. If it snows, though, I'll have to probably buy some boots while I'm there. I have a pair of after-ski fur boots, but they take up too much room to pack. I'll have to dig out my parka from the sucky bag under my bed. Everything I'm taking will be black or red and it will all go together. That's what I did last year when my ex had his open-heart surgery. I wear black slacks to work, so they can double as my CO pants :)

Love, Mikie