Yeah for VICODEN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NewEnglander, Mar 26, 2003.

1. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Hi there
    My Doctor let me have Vicoden for another week, I have another appointment with her tomorrow. I don't think she will give me another perscription.. Let me just say that this drug has been a life saver,. it increases my energy level, gets rid of the brain fog and helps me with the pain sooooooooo much. But all I here is its a Narcotic.. so what. I'd rather be drug addicted then living in contant pain. I need some hope so I can keep go on with my life..The only problem that I have with the vicoden is that I cant take it after 2 pm because it keeps me awake at night. Does anyone know of a good pain med for evenings??? I can't take the flexeral at bed time with my klonopin and serzone because it keeps me awake and it makes my skin itch everywhere, this drives me crazy, I don't sleep.. so I need some kind of anti flare medication to replace the flexeril.. very important, for some reason I get alot of pain at night. its awful.... also I have to replace the serzone with something else, I guess this drug is not really good for the liver. any ideas??? Please, oh and they can't be weight gaining meds.. my husband treats me alot nicer when I slim plus I can barely cary my weight now. got alot of stairs in my house. okay now that I sound like a complaing old lady I'll let you go. p.s. can I BUMP myself ??
    GOD BLESS you all
    Lisa
  2. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Ultram acts on the same pain recaptors that narcotics do but it is not a narcotic. Ask your doc for some, they're usually much more willing to prescribe this stuff. It may keep you awake, but probably not and shouldn't increase your appetite. Good luck!
    Tibbiecow
  3. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Ultram acts on the same pain recaptors that narcotics do but it is not a narcotic. Ask your doc for some, they're usually much more willing to prescribe this stuff. It may keep you awake, but probably not and shouldn't increase your appetite. Good luck!
    Tibbiecow
  4. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

I feel about the same way you do about Vicodin. I was in another (been in 4 bad ones now) car accident about 8 months ago and so my Dr. gave me vicodin to help with the pain after it. It was absolutely wonderful. I couldn't believe it, I was almost pain-free for the 4 weeks she gave me the vicodin. Unfortunately, she would only give it to me for those 4 weeks, and no more. I'm so tired of not having anything for pain and constantly BEING in pain. The doctor kept saying that I'd become addicted to the vicodin, but, in my opinion, that's better than being in constant pain and feeling like I don't even want to go on anymore. I guess there's no way to talk sense into doctors though. The only other time I can remember being almost pain-free was when I had dental surgery and they gave me demerol for 3 weeks after that. I'm just so sick of hurting, I wish they could give me SOMEthing, at least just for when I'm REALLY bad... gives me no hope and no faith in doctors, and no faith that I will ever get better.
  5. jka

jka New Member

i've been on it for over 2 yrs. when i'm having a really good day- i don't take any. on bad days i'll take 3-4. i don't feel i'm addicted to them. i don't have to take one unless i hurt.a lot of docs are afraid to give these types of drugs out because they think we'll become hooked.with the type of pain we have -we need the relief!let your doc know that.i had to really push mine, but he gave in.this is my pain and body. i know what i need.

good luck
    kathy c
  6. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

7. swann0527

swann0527 New Member

Wow, I have Lupus, and I feel the same way about Vicodin. I can be completely exhausted when I get to work, and I can take a pill, and within 15 minutes I am wide awake and I can work. The doctor I see now prescribes it too me, but he is pretty old, and I am scared of him retiring. If I did not have this drug I could not get through the day. I hate it when doctors say it is a narcotic. because I feel too like "WHO CARES!!!!". I feel if I have to deel with this disease then I should be able to use whatever works. I do have a suggestion for night time - Paxil (in the time release formula). I have tried that the past couple of months and it really puts me in a deep sleep. You need to make sure you get at least 8 hours sleep so it has time to wear off. I hope this helps!!!!!!
  8. Jen F

Jen F New Member

seems to have some sedating effects.

Note: should be taken 2 hours away from klonpin or other CNS depressing drugs I think
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I am on Vicoden on an as needed basis. Some days it's needed very much, other days I don't have to use it. My new rheumatologist added ultracet daily and told me he would prescribe the vicoden for when the pain was VERY bad. At first the Ultracet made me extremely anxious and agitated. The doc cut back the dosage and I am gradually building back to where I was.

Vicoden has been such a help. I have no fear of becomnig addicted because I use it only as needed and am aware of the possible draw backs.

I hope you have luck with your doctor, or possbibly another doctor who helps you in pain management! You'll be in my thoughts!