YEAH!!!! The Squeaky Wheel DOES Get the Grease!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Newswoman, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

Major Update: I will be allowed to telecommute one day out of the week for a couple of weeks to work out the kinks in the plan and then I will be allowed to work from home TWO DAYS out of the week.

See. The squeaky wheel does the get grease!!!! In my situation (I'm not recommending this for everyone), I didn't need to pull out the ADA card or consult a lawyer to get what I wanted. I didn't even have to use my rheumy's sucky letter. I talked to the CFO in a non-threatening way. I told the CFO that I needed to speak with her about my health and clear up some serious mis-communication about fibro and how it affects my ability to work.

The CFO has rheumatoid arthritis. So I told her, like with your condition, you can come into work sick as a dog, perform somewhat normally, and not "look sick." I explained that I have come into work for months now without having slept at all.

I don't know what happened since I last spoke with my supervisor about this situation, but SHE went into the CFO's office this afternoon and talked to her about my telecommuting (I would have killed to be a fly on that wall). I don't know if she read over the ADA information I gave her or if she saw me walking (and I use that term loosely) around like a 90-year-old woman and realized that I'm not pretending. It doesn't matter. I got what I needed.

Patience is a virtue, although it isn't a quality I've necessarily cultivated. But I do have rabid determination and persistence. Like I've said before, you have to know how to pick and choose your battles. To me, this was one worth fighting for...my own way.
  2. popgun

popgun New Member

I'm the one who told you that the squeeky wheel gets replaced, I am truly happy for you and more then happly I'll eat my words. That being said DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN and the ball is now in your court, very politely but FIRMLY keep it there, AGIN CONGRADULATIONS.
  3. Kimba

Kimba New Member

I am so happy for you. I would not call you a squeaky wheel, but you finally were able to talk to someone to would listen and understand what you are going through.

It is great when you don't have to go in and mention the ADA, or health notes or lawyers, but are just able to find someone who will listen and believe you.

Keep fighting...I have a feeling there are great things out there for you.
  4. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I would sing you a song about determination... But, I wouln't want to break any windows.

Way to go that's awesome. I am so happy you got to keep a job you love, and still be able to take care of yourself.

Congrads, hope it works out to be a great thing for you
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

I'm so glad you got what you have been asking for, finally. Keep us updated on how it works out.

Barbara
  6. Debbi

Debbi New Member

great news...right on!
    deb
  7. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Newswoman:

I've been following your story and am so glad it had a happy ending! Nice to know that justice sometimes prevails! I am proud that you had the guts and determination to see this through.

Ellen
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

next Erin Brokovich!!!!
    I am so happy you were heard!! That is so important and it must feel good. Now, you work hard cause other people are watching and taking notes~~you may have started something that can enable others to find solutions other than quitting work!!! I am so proud of you!
    Kady
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I, too, have been following your story......haven't had one useful thing to contribute as I'm a stay-home mom & not in the corporate world, but I've been pulling for you to successfully resolve your situation.

I'm sorry the CFO has RA, but how fortunate for you that here was someone who could actually relate to your situation in a walked-in-your-shoes way; and it sounds like you chose a great way to explain the rationale for your request.

Good for you!!!! Being persistent, but also careful & methodical about achieving your goal has paid off! I hope telecommuting the two days takes some strain off you.

Thanks for sharing your story & I wish you all the best!

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

I understand what you're saying. As a matter of fact before the CFO made her decision, my supervisor began the nick-picking. You know sending e-mail messages about supposed mistakes I made and accusing me in front of others in the office of not doing my job. I've always documented everything and continue to keep a paper trail, just in case.

When she starts to act up, I calmly tell her that I did what she told to do and then show her a copy of the instructions SHE provided or I go back to the the copy SHE edited and show her that it wasn't me who missed an error. I can only make the corrections that she tells me to make.

This came to an ugly head yesterday (Tuesday) when she kept picking on me all day long and each time I had written proof that it wasn't my fault. She got so ticked off that finally she didn't say anything to me for the rest of the day.

Of course this is stressful, but I have to continue working here until my lease is up in May. Then, I'll work elsewhere because I'm not going to sacrifice my health for someone who obviosuly has a problem. Telecommuting is a temporary solution for a temporary problem job. This job is a means to an end, it's not my "dream job" by any stretch of the imagination. It's a "I need to pay my bills" and "I need the insurance" job. This job also allows me the opportunity to brush-up and improve my writing skills for when I go back into news.