Yeast and Food Allergies (pls note Stormy)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Whey is one of the ingredients of "The Shake", advocated by John Gray as well as some of the members of this board.

Here are a few questions.

1) Is whey acceptable for those people with a food allergy to milk? I always have thought not, but perhaps I am wrong.

2) If whey is not acceptable for those with a food allergy to milk, is their an ingredient you would suggest substituting?

For what it's worth, my experiences (5 trips to different regions and different sorts of cooking) suggest that Japanese indeed do not eat more than one or two small bowls of tofu per day. Chinese (I've been to Taiwan 3 or 4 times, can't remember) seem to eat even less tofu.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2006]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I'm definitely not lactose-intolerant. It seems to be the proteins in the milk that cause a true allergy.

If I can't use whey and shouldn't use soy, what kind of protein is left?

Part of what I like about this shake is that it has enough protein to keep me going throughout the morning. Almonds have a lot of protein, but not much.

Thanks!
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

No, I've been using soy protein instead of whey in The Shake.

I don't seem to have any overt problems with soy like I do with foods that I'm allergic to (milk=congestion, cloudiness, extra fatigue), but you've made me think that maybe soy is not a great thing anyway.

4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Whoops, I'm allergic to eggs too.

Actually, the first several days on the shake were very good. At least some of this was because I was eating a balanced (fruit/carbohydrate/protein) breakfast the moment I got up, which is not something that I always do. I'm allergic to most "breakfast-y" foods, which creates a problem for me.

Over the past couple of days I've been feeling sort of depressed and out of it. I left the flaxseed out of the shake this morning. It could very well not have anything whatsoever to do with the shake, though.

Argh.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've taken probiotics (various kinds) regularly for years. (Ordered straight from Pure Encapsulations, a good brand.) I've always taken a few capsules, as the manufacturer recommended. On my last visit, my CFS doctor said that what really makes a difference is if you take at least 10 billion microorganisms (about 10 capsules) a day. I've been doing that over the past several months. I don't know if it's had an effect on anything or not;

Allergies that I know of: dairy, milk, eggs, corn, peanuts, cashews, raspberries/strawberries/blackberries, all tropical fruits (coconut, pineapple, citrus, mango, bananas), oats.

All of these foods (except the oats) are either a) "new" foods in terms of evolution (e.g. people didn't start eating them until fairly recently) and b) from either America or the tropics. It thus makes sense to me that natural selection would not have allowed my European ancestors to adapt to them.

I could be allergic to the flaxseed too. That's been in Europe for a while, but I don't think people used it as food until recently.

i'll keep experimenting until I find out.

I haven't made up my mind regarding things like soy milk or soy powder. I'll have to put some more research into it.

Thanks for your help!
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I'm also allergic to chocolate, coffee, beer (yeast) and wine (mold).

Dairy gives me sinus congestion and makes me fuzzy-headed. Oranges make my face swell (not hideously but noticeably, at least by my husband). Corn (even to a certain extent the smell of popcorn) makes me extremely depressed. Cashews and peanuts make me feel off balance and sort of unreal.

All these things make me feel more tired and lethargic and kind of "stuck" in one place.

I'm also allergic to cellulose, an extract of wood pulp used as a filler in some vitamins and medications. (It gives me a horrid rash on my chest.) This was after 8 years of taking tons of vitamins on a regular basis.

The biggest one is latex.....once I breathed in some particles from a disintegrated latex glove and had a, what do you call it, anaphylactic (I'm too tired to look this up), attack, where my eyeballs felt like they were on fire and the room started spinning and my blood pressure went way up. It can be a super deadly. Apparently it's like having your body burned from the inside out. Terribly pictures on the Web. Apparently I got this one from too many B12, kutapressin, etc. injections, where you push the needle through a rubber stopper. Now I carry an epi-pen with me and hope that I'm not in an accident where they make a mistake and operate on me with latex gloves or use some kind of medication drawn through the stopper on me.

Lots of yeast problems, always. So no sugar or other sweeteners either.

Thank you for forwarding all that yeast info. I've been fighting yeast for 10 years, and they keep winning. Hopefully I will learn something new.

I sometimes eat the foods on my allergic list. I do better when I don't. I was _much_ better in Japan. (Absolutely nothing in the Japanese diet is on my list.) I try to cook in the Japanese way at home, but it's sort of difficult to replicate it here.

Recently I was convinced by someone on this list (were you in on this discussion?) to buy coconut oil to combat my vaginal yeast problem. I ate some of it, too. I like coconut. That may be what is making me feel bad now, not the flax. Or it could be something else. I will have to test to make sure.

I originally got tested for food allergies by an allergist with a blood test. These are not entirely accurate.

I also followed the directions in Coca's "The Pulse Test." It gave me pretty dramatic results on a lot of items, most of them the same ones as the blood test.

I then did the elimination thing where you stop eating the foods for a while, then eat a lot of them to see if you have a reaction. My experience was that the Coca was a pretty accurate predictor.

I don't think I'm allergic to wheat (another very common allergen), but you never know. Probably I'm a little bit allergic to many things. You're supposed to not eat too much of anything if you're allergy-prone, but that can be hard.

I experiment with eating the items to which I'm allergic sometimes. (Well, give into temptation in a systematic way is more like it.) My body can tolerate a little bit, usually, except for the major ones. (Even a little peanut butter will knock me out flat.) Too much of something always turns out to be a big mistake, though.

I think I'm probably allergic to other odd things (spices, stuff like that) in the American diet, and I should probably experiment with them. In addition, it is hard to eat anything processed without getting either corn (e.g. corn syrup) and/or dairy in the ingredients. I don't buy processed foods at home, but it certainly would be nice to be able to eat out (at nice restaurants) without knowing that there's stuff that's taking its toll in the food.

You can see why the soy thing is bothersome to me, therefore. My body seems to be able to tolerate soy. On the other hand, you may be right and the soy may be causing me other problems like thyroid dysfunction (although to be fair, I didn't start eating soy--even much tofu--until after I had thyroid dysfunction, candida, and a bunch of other problems). So I'm going to have to look into that more and do a cost/benefit analysis.

The good thing about not eating these foods is that pretty much all of my airborne allergies have gone away. Apparently reducing the number of allergens hitting your body makes you at least less overtly reactive to the ones that are left.

As for starving....yes, eating is a big problem in my life. I wish I could beam myself to Japan (a la Star Trek) for all my meals. That or, as you say, get rid of the yeast, which is its own problem and may contribute to the food allergies as well. These seem equally unlikely possibilities, unfortunately. But I will read all the information I can get....thanks again for giving it to me.

P.S. It sounds like I'm making this all up, doesn't it? And sometimes I still feel like when I talk about the CFS in general, it sounds like I'm making that up too. I should be so lucky, to just be super-neurotic rather than truly ill.....
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2006]
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've been actively fighting yeast since the beginning of summer and I think it's gotten better, but your post has inspired me to make more of an effort. It's been a while since I've taken pau d'arco and garlic (I seem to be okay with herbs in general as far as I know), and I will try rotating them other anti-yeast treatments.

I'll also order some of the Threelac, which I've never used before.

I read through your whole post on yeast, which was great. The one on herbs looks great too. I've read a lot about herbs over the years and will go back through your list, since it's easy to forget about things that might be helpful.

I've gone back and forth on the yeast in terms of objective tests (e.g. stool, antibodies) and symptoms over the years. Upon reflection, though, I think that you're right about its being an ongoing problem that needs attention even when it's not out of control.

I'm not sure why I'm feeling quite so bad at the moment. Totally spaced out, like in another universe. Hopefully it's an allergy to either the coconut oil and/or the flax seed, since I'll then be better soon. It feels like an allergy, I think.

It's kind of disappointing because I thought that maybe if I started eating as healthfully and regularly as possible, I would start feeling better. Hopefully if I can get past this blip, I still will.

Thanks for your help!!