yeast (fungus) correlation.............?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twjen, Nov 29, 2002.

1. twjen

twjen New Member

I cant remember on what sites for sure but I read something about a corralation with our symptoms and yeast in the body infection (fungus overgrowth). Im not sure if I believe this theory, but this is interesting. A few years ago my husband got a dui and we had to have a breathalizer in our car to start it. we only had one car at the time and on several occasions it failed me and car would not start and I dont drink! I was angry and called the manufacturer of the breathalizer and he said that some people with yeast overgrowth can register as having consumed alcohol because yeast turns into an alcohol type substance in the stomach.
    I never thought about it again, until now. I also have some lighter whitish patches of skin that Ive had for several years that I was told by a neighbor once were a sign of yeast (fungus) and that I needed to get an oral med from the Dr. But I never have asked for one. I wonder if I should ask for some. Anyone else?
    Thanks,
  2. twjen

twjen New Member

I cant remember on what sites for sure but I read something about a corralation with our symptoms and yeast in the body infection (fungus overgrowth). Im not sure if I believe this theory, but this is interesting. A few years ago my husband got a dui and we had to have a breathalizer in our car to start it. we only had one car at the time and on several occasions it failed me and car would not start and I dont drink! I was angry and called the manufacturer of the breathalizer and he said that some people with yeast overgrowth can register as having consumed alcohol because yeast turns into an alcohol type substance in the stomach.
    I never thought about it again, until now. I also have some lighter whitish patches of skin that Ive had for several years that I was told by a neighbor once were a sign of yeast (fungus) and that I needed to get an oral med from the Dr. But I never have asked for one. I wonder if I should ask for some. Anyone else?
    Thanks,
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

The fungus connection is WELL documented. Read any good book on fibro and cfs by the leading experts and you will find a heavy emphasis placed there. Many fms/cfs patients present with yeast overgrowth. Fungi are found normally throughout our systems (gut, vagina, mouth, sinuses) but when they overgrow and become too numerous is when problems begin. Many times antibiotic therapy is too blame for the overgrowth.
    The gut ecology is usually in poor shape in those with these disorders. One might scoff at the need of a healthy gut, but when you take into consideration it is the place that nutrients, minerals, and vitamins begin their process in feeding and maintaining the body, it is of utmost importance. Malabsorbtion can lead to all sorts of illnesses, and symptoms. Candida (fungus or yeast) overgrowth in the gut, is one of the causes of irritable bowel syndrome, and leads to leaky gut syndrome. The intestines become more permeable and allow toxins, and other pathogens to pass through that normally would not. Candida itself in its cell life---puts off byproducts (like all living organisms do) that are toxic and harmful to the body.
    If you have recurrent vaginal infections (yeast/fungal), gastric problems -IBS, or white patches in the mouth (called thrush) a fungal infection--it is easily diagnosed and treated.
    If diagnosed, One can use an rx antifungal, such as nystatin. I found that too hard on my system, and used berberine, instead to kill the candida. While doing that take a probiotic to replace the healthy bacteria which is naturally found in the gut. This is lactobabacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium, returning the gastric system back to a healthy state.
    I am sure you can pull up some of Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum's articles on this sites library, concerning Candida/Yeast his information on this is wonderful.
    Best wishes,
    Karen
  4. lucky

lucky New Member

I am just being treated for yeast overgrowth with Nizarol because of yeast overgrowth and chronic sinus infections. The treatment makes sense to me after being convinced that the two might well go together. Will see, how the outcome will be after taking all my pills and how I will feel.
    One thing, I notice already, I do feel not as bad as when taking antibiotics for these infections. But....time will tell.
    Lucky
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I was researching yeast infections...and came across this:
    Bouts of chronic sinus infection (those lasting more than 3 months are caused by yeast infection).
    While those of sudden onset, are bacterial in nature, usually.

Antibiotics will not treat the yeast infections found in the sinuses (there are normally yeast colonies in the sinuses, its the overgrowth that presents a problem, they induce an allergic reaction).

The use of antibiotic therapy...greatly increases the chance of yeast overgrowth---in our systems.

Karen
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

and thank you for your research. I did the same a couple of days ago before I had an appointment with my doctor for another sinus infection. Like you, I am more or less a firm believer now that at least in my case there is a definate link between the fungus playing a role here vs. bacterial infection.
    To my biggest surprise, when I wanted to discuss this with my doctor, he told me that he also did his homework (he was grinning) and is taking a different approach this time. After prescribing Nisoral for 3 wks., I will see what is happening. I already found out, as mentioned in my message, that I feel 100% improved than with the antibiotics before.
    If this new approach is working, I will be very happy. I'll keep you posted.
    Lucky