Yellow "Wiggle" Quits due to Orthostatic Hypotension

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CAAnnieB, Nov 30, 2006.

1. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi All,

I'm not a "Wiggles" fan...My kids are too old for me to know much about these popular Australian guys who entertain children worldwide...But I was watching the news today & it caught my attention!

The yellow Wiggle, Greg Page, is quitting the group due to struggling with Orthostatic Hypotension! Hmmm...Got me wondering if he isn't perhaps battling FM or CFS as this condition can be part of our DD's.

Here's a news blurb about him...

A LIFE-LONG heart condition has forced yellow Wiggle Greg Page to hang up his skivvy from the much-loved children's group.
    Page, 34, revealed he was quitting the Wiggles because of a chronic condition called orthostatic intolerance, which is caused by low blood pressure and leaves sufferers feeling dizzy, short of breath and nauseated when they stand up.
    "It's not a life-threatening condition by any means, but it is one that's going to be with me for the rest of my life," Page said. "It means I'll no longer be able to sing and dance the way I want to and as a result I've decided to stop performing with the Wiggles."

And another...

"Wiggles singer expected to leave group
    November 30, 2006
    The hugely popular children's group The Wiggles is expected this week to announce the departure of its lead singer because of a serious illness...The 34-year-old known for his bright yellow T-shirt has been undergoing medical treatment since June after experiencing fainting spells and lethargy, the reports said."

I Googled Chronic Fatigue & Orthostatic Hypotension & found an Immunesupport article linking the 2 conditions...(Can be found in the Library section under Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Resources-Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Causes)

"Orthostatic Hypotension
    Orthostatic hypotension is defined as an excessive fall in blood pressure on standing, usually greater than 20/10 mmHg. It is considered to be a manifestation of abnormal blood pressure regulation due to a variety of causes.
    Hypotension, particularly orthostatic hypotension, is a common symptom in chronic fatigue patients. Many people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome have chronic low blood pressure (the normal is 120/80 mmHg), which is made even worse on standing. This may be a particular problem in the morning, when standing can cause dizziness. Exercise or a heavy meal may exacerbate the symptoms. Syncope is a loss of consciousness and postural tone caused by diminished cerebral blood flow. Syncope often occurs during the morning shower, perhaps due to the vasodilating effect of hot water."

Interesting, huh? I myself, have chronic low blood pressure & have experienced episodes of really low BP this year. I wonder if this Wiggle guy knows about the connection to CFS. Maybe the press releases are stating his condition as Orthostatic Hypotension because it sounds more "official" than saying he has it AND Chronic Fatigue? (Just my guess!)It seems odd to me that he has been an energetic performer for years & suddenly he would be diagnosed with the genetic form of this condition? Don't think so! Anyway, I feel badly for him & wish him well. I sincerely hope he doesn't have our DD's...but it sure sounds like he might be battling with CFS.

Blessings,

Annie

2. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

See other post entitled "CFS HEADLINE NEWS" for more...
  3. jake123

jake123 New Member

Would this be anymore remarkable if a child had it, maybe 5 years old to about 17 years old?
  4. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Just to add another note:

Greg had surgery last year for double hernia: - this could be am unacknowledged complication from that.

Also many doctors test for this condition to eliminate it before giving a diagnosis of CFS. I had the tilt test to see if I had this condition. Result was negative: test was horrendous