Yet Another Question....birth control pills

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Notonline, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Really kind of new here...and just curious I guess...how many of you where long-term users of the birth control pill before you got sick? Long-term say...being 5-6 yrs or more?

Guys...for you too...If you weren't users of the pill, did you mother or grandmother have FM and use the pill long-term, especially before your birth?

I was placed on the pill by a family Dr. at age 14 (to regulate cycles), and remained on it for close to over 10 yrs. Never knew how many nutrients it can rob from your body, I sometimes wonder if it didn't have a hand in how crummy I feel today.

2. kalina

kalina New Member

I took birth control pills for for 13 years for management of my endometriosis. So not only did I take them long-term; I took them every single day without a monthly break. The purpose of doing it this way was to stop my periods, which were excrutiatingly painful when I used to have them.

Now my hormones are a total mess. My endocrinologist says the BCPs probably had a lot to do with my current state.

I was born around the time "The Pill" first caught on, so I don't think my mom took them at all before I was born. Maybe some of the young'uns around here can give you some input there.

Kalina
  3. AnnG

AnnG New Member

on a low dose. So far they have been a life-saver. I was bleeding 25 days out of every 30 before I started.
  4. charls

charls New Member

Im only 22 so I cant say I took the Pill (in my case both the full and the mini pill at different stages) long term, but my problems did seem to start (or at least come to a head) when I came off them. I have noticed this correlation before, and a friend who has similar problems to myself suggested that her problems had started when she actually took medication to end an unplanned preganancy some years back.

My mother, on the other hand, had taken the pill prior to my birth, and to the best of my knowledge also during breast feeding.

Charlotte
  5. lilwren

lilwren New Member

I started taking birth control pills when I was 15 and was probably on them 15 to 20 years I guess. I never had a clue about them – all I knew was they kept me from getting pregnant – the gyn says they’re fine – no problem - so I really never thought about it. The last few years I have spent a great deal of time reading about hormones and nutrition, etc. - having CFS has given me the opportunity to learn more about my body than I really wanted to know. :) It sucks, BUT if we don’t look out for ourselves the doctors sure as hell won’t!

I have two books that have helped me to understand female hormones much better – From PMS to Menopause: Female Hormones in Context by Raymond Peat, PhD and What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Progesterone by John Lee, MD.

About 9 months ago I started using progesterone cream the week before my period, and then I read the two books I mentioned and switched to a sublingual progesterone. The sublingual has given me much better results. I have always had severe cramps, but this past month I had none. I do not seem to get the typical PMS I’ve always had anymore either. Also, now that I think about it I always flared when I had PMS and I think the progesterone has settled that down a lot too. It is IMHO definitely worth reading about.

Love,
    Sharon L

6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

three months, it made me short of breath, so I simply quit. I also did not use HRT.

No, my Mom did not use the pill, it was not around then!

Shalom, Shirl
  7. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! I was on the pill for a long time, all that time I have to admit I felt pretty good while on it, I remember going off of it for awhile before I met my hubby and feeling pretty bad for awhile, then started to have problems with my cycle and went on them again.

I've thought having a bad pregnancy with my son might have been the clincher, but looking back I remember really starting to feel bad after going off the pill before I even got pregnant....so that may very well have been the start.

The pill was a blessing at the time for the good it did in helping regulate my cycles, but I wonder if it hasn't been like a two-edgeded sword for some of us in the end.

Sharon, I going to look up those books you mentioned, also about the sublingual progesterone, as I'm using the natural cream now, after deciding I just wasn't real comfortable with taking the medroxyprogesterone pills I had been prescribed by my gyn at my last visit.

Thanks all!
    Danny
  8. Cara-Sue

Cara-Sue New Member

i couldnt take the pill.it just didnt agree with me at all.there was 1 mini-pill that i took that helped,but a full dose one,no.one time i started on this pill and it made my left arm go completly numb.my 18 year old daughter canot take the pill,she feels sick with it and even that shot that they can give you now she was sick on.good luck
  9. lilwren

lilwren New Member

This DD has shot my brain recall, but if I remember correctly some women develop estrogen dominance and it really plays havoc with our bodies. Maybe your bad pregnancy was enough to get your hormones out of whack. I'm sorry to hear about that - it must have been difficult.

I found an article I saved and posted it below. Take care.

Love, Sharon L

PROGESTERONE

Raymond Peat, MA, PhD (Univ. of Oregon)
    Endocrine Physiologist, specializing in hormonal changes in stress and aging

Sixty years ago, progesterone was found to be the main hormone produced by the ovaries. Since it was necessary for fertility and for maintaining a healthy pregnancy, it was called the "pro-gestational hormone," and its name sometimes leads people to think that it isn't needed when you don't want to get pregnant. In fact, it is the most protective hormone the body produces, and the large amounts that are produced during pregnancy result from the developing baby's need for protection from the stressful environment. Normally, the brain contains a very high concentration of progesterone, reflecting its protective function for that most important organ. The thymus gland, the key organ of our immune system, is also profoundly dependent on progesterone.

In experiments, progesterone was found to be the basic hormone of adaptation and of resistance to stress. The adrenal glands use it to produce their anti-stress hormones, and when there is enough progesterone, they don't have to produce the potentially harmful cortisone. In a progesterone deficiency, we produce too much cortisone, and excessive cortisone causes osteoporosis, aging of the skin, damage to brain cells, and the accumulation of fat, especially on the back and abdomen.

Experiments have shown that progesterone relieves anxiety, improves memory, protects brain cells, and even prevents epileptic seizures. It promotes respiration, and has been used to correct emphysema. In the circulatory system, it prevents bulging veins by increasing the tone of blood vessels, and improves the efficiency of the heart. It reverses many of the signs of aging in the skin, and promotes healthy bone growth. It can relieve many types of arthritis, and helps a variety of immunological problems.

If progesterone is taken dissolved in vitamin E, it is absorbed very efficiently, and distributed quickly to all of the tissues. If a woman has ovaries, progesterone helps them to produce both progesterone and estrogen as needed, and also helps to restore normal functioning of the thyroid and other glands. If her ovaries have been removed, progesterone should be taken consistently to replace the lost supply. A progesterone deficiency has often been associated with increased susceptibility to cancer, and progesterone has been used to treat some types of cancer.

It is important to emphasize that progesterone is not just the hormone of pregnancy. To use it only "to protect the uterus" would be like telling a man he doesn't need testosterone if he doesn't plan to father children, except that progesterone is of far greater and more basic significance than testosterone. While men do naturally produce progesterone, and can sometimes benefit from using it, it is not a male hormone. Some people get that impression, because some physicians recommend combining estrogen with either testosterone or progesterone, to protect against some of estrogen's side effects, but progesterone is the body's natural complement to estrogen. Used alone, progesterone often makes it unnecessary to use estrogen for hot flashes or insomnia, or other symptoms of menopause.

When dissolved in vitamin E, progesterone begins entering the blood stream almost as soon as it contacts any membrane, such as the lips, tongue, gums, or palate, but when it is swallowed, it continues to be absorbed as part of the digestive process. When taken with food, its absorption occurs at the same rate as the digestion and absorption of the food.
  10. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

You may be onto something here,
    Id been taking birth control pills for 11yrs before being diagx,so maybe it could have something to do with thiss DD>
    Sharon D(UK)
  11. aryiella

aryiella New Member

I'm 28 now. I took BC pills from age 22-27. Been off them for almost a year, and just started back on them. My illness probably really started getting bad around age 18 however, and from age 24 to present has been really affecting my life. I went off the BC pills for that year curious to see if I improved any, which I didn't, I continued to get worse energy-wise. So, now I'm taking them again to help with acne, reduce the number of periods, and to even out my extreme depressive mood swings prior to my period. Personally, I don't think the BC pills have any correlation to my illness, and all my endocrine blood tests have been normal.

Holly