Yet More News of the Titanic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, May 5, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Most people don't know that back in 19th century, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England . In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico , which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York . This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico .

But as we all know, the great ship did not make it to New York . The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico , who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss.

Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day. The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko De Mayo!

Footnote. I didn't have type the above. It's my post from 4 years ago. When I looked on the net to check the spelling of Cinco De Mayo, I found my post from Pro Health had been copied onto a joke board. But that's all right. I read it someplace earlier myself.

Anyhoo I post this every year at this time. But like those guys who started the Talk Like a Pirate Day, I only do it on the years when I don't forget.

2. bct

bct Active Member

I thought this seemed familiar as I was giggling at it this a.m.! It was from four years ago? :D

I feel like an enchilada --- I am really hungry.

Thanks for the laughs.

Love ya,
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Ah......a stinko de mayo joke! Funny.

By the way, I think I'm going to make some fresh mayonaise for my DH's sandwiches......a way to get extra fat snuck into his diet. I used to make it years easy if you have a blender and so good with no preservatives.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi SG

Far as I know I have never experienced home-made mayonnaise. Some years back I
    was reading something on the net. Asked Gordon what "aioli" was. Looked to me like a
    Japanese word for crustacean or something. Anyhoo he explained it was simply
    mayonnaise with garlic.

Barry, did you get your enchilada? When I lived in St. Paul, and then moved to
    Minneapolis, there were two Mexican restaurants. One in each city. And they
    always had lots of customers. Loved their cuisine. Or is that word too French for
    the occasion?

Anyhoo, who doesn't love tacos and enchiladas? "I don't like tacos", said no Juan ever.
    Even the ones from Taco Bell are good. (Used to handle claims for them decades ago.
    Well, most of the fast food places and soft drink companies.)

My favorite case involved a man who pulled into a McDonalds which had no cars
    in the parking lot, a sign saying "Closed", and sawhorses around the building.
    He skidded in the wet paint and fell, ruining his pants and bruising his rump steak.

How did that case come out? Well, I never found out. As was often the case, the
    matter was still pending when I moved on to a better job.

Adios, Amigos
  5. windblade

windblade Active Member

Rock - I can't believe I fell for this again. Right up to the telling third paragraph.

Thanks for the joke!