Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by budmickl, Oct 13, 2008.

  1. budmickl

    budmickl New Member

    I have a huge problem that I am trying to clean up. I have dozens of plastic storage boxes that apparently weren't water proof... Now I have papers, stuffed animals and tons of fabric items that is covered in black mold.

    Yesterday, I spent the day separating the papers so they could dry. Some of them are important papers that I have to save. Others I don't need but wanted to make sure. I was covered in black stuff and smelly water from the paper. When I was finished, I realized I should have probably been protected. I posted on the FM board asking what I could do after to fact to protect myself.

    Next time I am in the mess, I will wear a mask and plastic gloves.

    My question is.... is there any way to salvage the molded cloth items? I'm willing to toss the stuff animals but I would like to clean up the napkins, place mats, clothes, etc? We're not talking about the pink mold from leaving a wet rag in clothes basket but black, slimmy, smelly mold that is probably harmful to my health? Is there any product on the market that I can use? Is 'color safe' bleach as effective as regular Clorox?

    Any hints or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

  2. victoria

    victoria New Member

    IMHO and experience, the best thing is to pitch everything possible, make copies of what you can or get official copies where possible... UV light/sunlight will kill it, but length of time exposure may differ as to mold etc.

    If it can maybe be heated in an oven without damage, that may be a possibility with some things that are more dense as long as they're not flammable... I doubt 'color-safe' bleach would do the job... have a feeling you'd end up with permanent stains anyway, happened to me when I tried to salvage fabric.

    So sad, I know! However, you don't want to be just be taking/spreading all the mold spores, visible or not, wherever.

    Sure hope you don't end up with any health repercussions!

    all the best,

    [This Message was Edited on 10/13/2008]
  3. jole

    jole Member

    I know you probably won't want to hear my reply either, but I would toss everything, and not even take it back into the house. Black mold can cause such terrible health issues that are very long-lasting, and you really don't need any more problems to face.

    My FM issues started with mold exposure, and if I only knew then what I know now, perhaps all these years of suffering could have been avoided. I'm sorry you are losing some items (keepsakes?), but nothing is worth compromising your health further. ****Jole****

[ advertisement ]