YIKES!!!!! cortisone fallout!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Dec 21, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Yesterday I let the ortho doc give me a cortisone shot into my left wrist to calm down the pain from the tendinitis. sheesh. woke up feeling like an ice pick was stuck in my wrist this morning. This is 100 times worse than it was!! I hope this was the right decision, that I haven't made it worse.

I did have him take me off work today, good thing! Not sure if I can even take a shower or get dressed until the pain settles down.

been putting heat on it, as cold makes it scream louder. Half a Darvocet isn't touching it. Tried a topical pain reliever (SoreNoMore), didn't help either.

Any suggestions?

I'll call the ortho clinic later if this continues, but I doubt they will offer much other than pain meds and waiting to see how it goes.

Wish I hadn't done this...

Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2005]
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

I'll check on using heat. I think you are right. Ice hurts, though.

I've had cort. shots for a trigger finger and felt sore and bruised the next day, but this is much worse than that.

How long before it settles down to tolerable? This is more than I expected. At least the fibro hasn't flared today.

Beth.
  3. BluEyes

BluEyes New Member

in my knee... and it hurts a lot today... but is already getting better......

it depends on how sore that joint is when they put it is... i have had them in my back and it has taken up to 2 days to feel better.... but the relief is DEFINATELY worth it!!!

Hang in there and let us know Beth...

Blu
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to hang in. might go take a nap. I'm so glad I'm not at work today.

Beth.
  5. BethM

BethM New Member

just talked to the ortho tech. she said my response is normal (!!???), the nausea and dizzy is from the pain. Usually they give patients a loading dose of anti-inflammatories before the injection, but I cannot tolerate them. They could have warned me!!!

I have more use of my hand now, can straighten my fingers, at least without too much pain. 48 hours, she said, and I can expect to be much better.

I'm off work tomorrow too, unless I wake up feeling better enough to go in. My assistant will not be happy. I hadn't planned to be out two days. It's rough running that office alone, especially as we get into flu season.

so, I will live, one more adventure for my memoirs! I doubt I will do this again, however.

Peace,
    Beth.
  6. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I hope your doing better, I need to get more shots in both my shoulders, and I did get one in my knee, two days ago, usally no more pain, but that night, it did bother me some, but much better now! I couldn't make it without them, I don't need them often, they last a very long time for me, I feel blessed!
    I hope you get to feeling better....gentle hugz, Karen
  7. sdown

sdown New Member

Have you tried SAMe? Its a supplement available on this site. I take 400 mg a day. Its good for mood, joint pain and the calms the nervous system. If I get the flu or an infection I double the dosage to 800 mg a day. My doctor recommended it.
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

A much better morning for me today. Still hurts, but not nearly like yesterday. I was able to take a much needed shower this morning, altho blow drying my hair was a problem. *g* Staying home from another day is the right answer. Don't think I could function well enough yet.

The doc doesn't believe me that I get a systemic reaction from a small local injection. I do, though. I was up, reading, for several hours before dawn this morning, and my GI system definitely doesn't like cortisone. I'll never convince him, I'm sure. I did tell him I have fibro, but he is a non believer. His loss.

It is a beautiful, sunny day here, not too cold and no wind. I intend to enjoy it!

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. It really does help.

Peace,
    Beth.