Yikes I have a date but....UPDATED!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Sep 19, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Yeah I know I said I would stay away from the online dating scene but realized that in the process that this is the best way for me to meet new people and built friendships at least. Whether there is romance there or not I still want to have a friendship at least.

So I have been getting to know a guy for awhile and we will be hanging out/having a date on Thursday at the LA County Fair. I will be meeting him there.

So I know that I will be walking and sitting as much as I can. He knows that I am ill and it quite open to the fact and has so far been really supportive as has not run away yet LOL. So I am excited and nervous at the same time, but I need to go out and have some fun. Plus I missed the fair last year because I was too ill to go.

Anyway I am nervous as anything I have never been out with a man just so massively taller than me, he is 6'6" and a little younger than me BUT seems to be mature LOL. Plus one that has so far been really interested in getting to know me as a person.

So any tips besides taking it slow in handling the fair? I will be having my beano available for the food there as it is nothing but greasy foods. I will make sure to take my kettle popcorn with me to share with my family.

So please share any tips that you have.

[This Message was Edited on 09/20/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/22/2006]
  2. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Good for you Sweetie!!! That is wonderful to hear. I did some on line dating in Seattle. My rules were;

*Always let someone know where we were going.
    *Drive my own car, not get in his.
    *Don't go right home afterwards.
    *Make sure someone who knows you runs into you both.
    *Have something worked out with a friend that they call you with an emergency incase he is not compatable and you need a reason to leave. LOL!! I swear a mans definition of 6 feet tall and ours is very different!
    *Sqwelch the urge to give too much information, take your time. Your worth it.
    *and MOST important!!! Have a Blast!!!!!
  3. angelstapleton

angelstapleton New Member

Not trying to scare you but my sister was murdered last year 3 days befor my brithday. They still have not found who has done it.
    Please make sure you have a cell phone even if you have to borrow one.
    Call and check in with some one that knows your out.
    Do not get in the car with him. Take some mase with you just in case and stay around pepole.
    I hope you have a great time just rember to use your feeling and head.I will pray that you will make a good friend and for you to have fun. Every needs it.
    Bless you Angel
  4. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Thank you so much for your suggestions and it is hard to meet people these days. Angel I am sorry to hear about your sister.

My folks know that I am going to the fair with him and they have my cell phone. I also give them his cell number too and full name and everything.

I will check with them periodically to let them know I am okay,etc. Then when I am leaving I will let them know that I am leaving and usually I run an errand afterwards and let them know where I go.

I don't have any available friends to just run into them like that. That can be blamed on the fibro.

Anyway I think that I will have a good time talking and getting to know him.

We will be meeting at the fair directly and all.

Oh by the way I am 6'1"in height so to be in contact with someone that is taller than me is very rare LOL.

5. sues1

sues1 New Member

I am older than my DH. My mother was older than my step dad, and I know other examples.....all so good to their spouses. So age makes no difference.

Good Luck and I hope you have a good time.

Susan
  6. millennia

millennia New Member

and have fun! I met the man I'm going to marry online. We've been together 8 years now.

I know a lot of people think online dating is dangerous and it can be, but not anymore dangerous than meeting people in a lot of the common ways.

When you meet someone online, you can really get to know them before you meet. I think it's more dangerous to give some guy your number that you meet in a bar or a club.

Of course follow all the safety precautions, but trust your instincts too. And have a good time. I always say that the most helpful thing I ever got online is my man.
  7. angelstapleton

angelstapleton New Member

Thanks
    I hope your day will be filled with smiles and laughter.
    Also I hope you make a good new friend . Buy the way let him pay for your food . Little old fashion never hurt any one hehehe.
    Love and bless you Angel
  8. Just be careful, BUT tell us how it goes! LOL!
  9. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Well I know that I am paying for my ticket to go inside which is fine. For the food I think I may be okay in that realm.

He has been a joy to talk with and get to know, and seems to be a nice guy.

He just makes me laugh so much and seems to be a sweetheart SO FAR...

I just see that I really need to continue to keep going out as I desire to have friendships and built those up, and if something romantic comes out of them then that is nice too. However I need to remain social with others and keep that going in my life. I am determined to not be a hermit. I don't want that for my life.

10. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I am also going back to the fair on Saturday with my parents as they have tickets already. Plus my dad enjoys horseracing and so do I, so I will be participating in that. I did win nicely for the Kentucky Derby and that was nice, so I have a little knack for horseracing.

At the fair I always end up in the cooking, cleaning expos there, as I am always looking for something to make life easier LOL.

11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

12. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Hi Jodie,

I will not know until tomorrow. I am thinking of taking my camera possibly and take some photos and myself and him in it too.

He told me he is excited to meet me and is very nervous so it will be nice. He is taken the Metrolink to go over there instead of driving, it will be faster and he will definitely save on gas. I wish there was a train I could take, I would be there in 10 minutes flat LOL.
  13. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Well I must say that my date went very well!!! He was super watchful over me and making sure that I was alright, he did ask for us to be dating exclusively. We just like each other so much. I said yes of course. We have been talking for a long while now.

I felt like I have known him forever....

Anyway the fair was nice and I am tired 086 whoooa...LOL
  14. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

like a really nice guy! I'm glad you had a good time...now get some rest! Terri
  15. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

like a keeper. It's good that he brought up the subject of dating exclusively so soon. I always hated that little dance. Back in the day I tried dating three guys at once and it wasn't much fun. Especially when two of them ended up in the same place and were having a little war or words. I went and hid out.
  16. sisland

sisland New Member

Yea!! I'm Glad it worked out for you! as said above You just never know where you'll meet Mr Right!! My Nephew met his wife online and they got married after a year of dating!.............................Keep my fingers crossed for you sweetie!..............sisland
  17. UrbanPioneer

UrbanPioneer New Member

Makezmusic, GREAT suggestions!

Millenia: If you wouldn't mind .. I understand if you don't want to .. could you email me with some of the background on how you met your future Mr.?? I've known two people who have married people they met online ... I've only succeeded in establishing a long term cybersex relationship (which has just fizzled out .. the CFIDS making me less and less available and less and less interested!) But it was great while it lasted! Not enough energy for the real thing!

Seriously though, I never really sought out anything else. My mom has always hated the fact that I never married .. she's 92 and in her generation, remaining single was a tragedy!

Whenever she mentions these matchmaking services she sees on TV, I tell her that any man willing to take on this much baggage I would he HIGHLY SUSPECT of!! i.e., forging my signature on a large life insurance policy shortly before my demise!

But I too desperately need to form outside support systems. Right now I'm completely isolated and my only contact is familial and that situation is quite contentious and dysfunctional to say the least! For years now my cyber partner was my only real support system .. he became a friend as well and was a great source to turn to for pep talks.

Oh yeah, my email is kerrykilpatrick@mindspring.com

Great news on your date fibrohugslife!!!