Yoga and fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Aug 9, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I've started taking an Iyengar style yoga class, entitled "Women's Health", focused on women's needs. I love the class, the instructor is knowlegable and caring, and willing to modify the poses for me.

Last week I did all the poses to the best of my ability, felt great, but that night felt wretched. I went into a flare, I think because of all the damage I did to my muscles.

Still flaring, but went to the class today anyway, and did modified poses.

It is so very hard to exercise half way. It is very humbling to be the one for whom the modifications need to be made. I don't like this at all.

However, I intend to continue the classes. I NEED to keep my body moving and the muscles stretched. If I don't, the consequences will be worse than the pain from the classes.

I appreciate the knowlege of the instructor and feel safe working with her. She keeps an eye on me during class now, to be sure I don't overdo things.

I've done yoga intermittently most of my adult life, but have been away from it for several years this time. I am dreadfully out of shape, desperately need to lose weight, and have a great desire to be limber and graceful again. I'd like to be able to get up off the floor without looking like a crippled great dane.

Does anyone else have experience with yoga in reference to fibro?

I am hoping that this is one of those experiences where things have to get worse before they get better.

Peace,
    Beth.

2. BethM

BethM New Member

your reply is very encouraging. I really do feel that yoga holds many answers for me. Ok, I will continue to start slowly, but will continue. Thank you for the reminder to practice daily.

Many things have changed in my life recently. It is a time for new beginnings and changes.

Yoga helps me stay focused not just on yoga as exercise, but as a way of life. Healthy eating, quality sleep, seeking serenity and peace. The classes and the other yoga folk are a good reminder.

Peace,
    Beth.