Yoga and FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redhead00, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Redhead00

Redhead00 New Member

Has anyone gotten any releif from practicing yoga? I tried regular practice but got into trouble with an old injury in my neck and upper back, before I knew what hit me I was in all over daily Pain. It has taken nearly a year but I am thinking of trying it again.
  2. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Hi,
    I have felt so good with yoga. went to classes last year some and will go again soon. I do it in my home too with DVDs. some just realaxing and stretching. No matter how little you do, the breathing and stretching seems to oxegenate your muscles and help with the pain and energy. I highly reccommend it. I don't go all out at class so I dont hurt myself and I try not to do much with my shoulders where I have the most problems.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Blessings,
    Carolyn
  3. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I cant even sit Indian Style because my hips hurt so bad and are so tight.
    I would try it though!
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

In a manner of speaking. I don't attend yoga classes but I do a series of daily stretches that have done wonders. I follow breathing and relaxation techniques during these stretches and it's better then many drugs out there.

The book I follow,(especially in the beginning) is titled "Stretching" by Bob Anderson. It is very easy to follow with good diagrams with each stretch.

Not only are there stretches for daily life, but segments that show stretches that enhance a particular activity, ie tennis, horseback riding, gardening ... even house work.

It has been very beneficial to me. I've gotten to where I love my stretching sessions so well that I crawl in my hammock or bed and drop off almost immediately for the best nap!

I know most people stretch to get going, but it relaxes me like a anxiety pill might. I can get a euphoric feel and I know those natural morphin-like endorphins have been turned loose.

I highly recommend this book. It has something for everyone ... from beginners to life long atheletes. It's good stuff.

Take care,

Elsa
  5. kalaya

kalaya New Member

is great stuff if your body can tolerate it.There are many different types of yoga,some more meditative and others more of a vigorous workout.There is one type of yoga called Bikram yoga which is done in a heated room[100 degrees]and this may be helpful to have this heat due to it making the body more plyable.Bikram is a form of Hatha yoga.If the heat would be intolerable then there are other types that you already know are done at a normal room temp.Important that you explain to the instructors about your illness and flexability limitations.If you can revisit yoga that would be fantastic.God bless.