Yoga anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I have done a little research about yoga and think it will help me to get back into an excercise program.

I am also thinking about water aerobic but the classes are at 6:30am!! Way to early for this girl.

Any ideas?
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

Yoga has helped me manage the muscle stiffness, which helps decrease some of the muscle pain.

BUT... if you take a yoga class, be sure to tell the instructor about your physical problems and issues so the poses can be modified for your needs.

If it hurts, don't do it, or modify the pose so it doesn't hurt.

There are yoga classes for people with arthritis, which may be safer for you, depending on your needs.

Hope this helps!

Peace,
    Beth.
  3. pat460

pat460 New Member

I would like to try it too beadlady. I've been looking for a beginners DVD for people with back and leg problems. Maybe someone else can give both of us some ideas. I'll watch this thread and thanks for starting it.

Pat
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

because a good instructor can make sure you are doing the poses correctly.

my 2.5 cents!

Beth.
  5. mezombie

mezombie Member

Maybe you need to start with a gentler form of Yoga. There's a good video available called "Yoga for the Rest of Us" by Peggy Cappy. The "rest of us" it's geared to are the elderly and people like us.

It's been featured on TV (PBS) and looks like it might be what you're looking for. Cappy starts out with warm-up stretches and modifies standing Yoga poses so that they can be done with a chair. One can do either one 20-minute segment, or the entire workout at one time.
  6. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Omg...I saw this thing called Laugh yoga on tv the other day on Oprah and Wow...how funny...that is just what I want. There is no yoga involved..just a whole bunch of peole who get together and do silly laughing exercises for an hour...what wonderful medicine..look into it

Hugzzzzz GigglePoet
  7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

for all of your replies. I have a better idea what to look for now.
  8. Kazah

Kazah New Member

hi there

Maybe try pilates first? I used to yoga and it was too much. My back and hips really suffered. I do 'body control pilates' which is designed to build your core strength. It doesn't seem to be making things better but it doesn't make them worse. It's more gentle than yoga. Miught be a good place to start?

kazah