Yoga class update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Dec 4, 2002.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I'm enjoying the yoga class. It feels good to begin to have some confidence that I can maybe count on my body doing what I need it to do, instead of being so blessed careful all the time. Maybe if I can get myself stretched and strong, I won't have to worry about hurting myself so much. I hope so. This is non-drug, non-doctor, and my own responsibility for myself. Sounds like a good plan to me. The teacher watches me carefully, too, as she doesn't want me to get hurt. She knows about the FMS and other problems I have. Tonight I felt able to do a move that I've been afraid to do, and did ok with it! You sit with your arms around your knees and then roll backward and then back up to a sitting position. I only did half of the set, but I did it and it didn't hurt. A small victory, but an important one. I hadn't realized that I was so afraid to move, so detached from my body. It feels good to be re-connecting with this body of mine. I used to dance and be flexible and strong. Maybe I can recapture some of that. This yoga class is good for me. I am very grateful it is available. I keep thinking about that old saying, "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Guess I'm ready, as my teacher is here!

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

I'm enjoying the yoga class. It feels good to begin to have some confidence that I can maybe count on my body doing what I need it to do, instead of being so blessed careful all the time. Maybe if I can get myself stretched and strong, I won't have to worry about hurting myself so much. I hope so. This is non-drug, non-doctor, and my own responsibility for myself. Sounds like a good plan to me. The teacher watches me carefully, too, as she doesn't want me to get hurt. She knows about the FMS and other problems I have. Tonight I felt able to do a move that I've been afraid to do, and did ok with it! You sit with your arms around your knees and then roll backward and then back up to a sitting position. I only did half of the set, but I did it and it didn't hurt. A small victory, but an important one. I hadn't realized that I was so afraid to move, so detached from my body. It feels good to be re-connecting with this body of mine. I used to dance and be flexible and strong. Maybe I can recapture some of that. This yoga class is good for me. I am very grateful it is available. I keep thinking about that old saying, "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Guess I'm ready, as my teacher is here!

Peace,
    Beth.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The yoga class being structured especially for those with FMS is supposed to start in Jan. I hope to learn more later this month.

Love, Mikie
  4. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Beth:
    Just had to say that! I'm glad to hear positive feedback on my yoga post. The more you do yoga, the more flexability you get. To retain it, however, I have to do it almost every day or I'm back to square one! Because of the post and the people who have responded, I have pushed myself to do yoga daily andam starting to get the benefits again. I was lax with it and only did it once a week, so this works to motivate all of us!!!
    Keep us posted.
    northwoodssue
  5. BethM

BethM New Member

I missed that post and thread entirely, but just went back to read it. Glad to hear others are finding benefit in it as well. My yoga classes are very small, we laugh with each other a lot, and I appreciate that. Last night the instructor had us do a more 'pretzle-y' pose, and I looked at her and laughed and just shook my head. I have short legs that could be leaner, and I just don't bend that way! We modified the pose for me, and all was well.

I fully agree, "use it or lose it", even if the "use it" part is just the best you can do at that moment. I am determined to regain grace and physical poise by regaining muscle tone and strength.

Go Yoga!

Peace,
    Beth.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hey, Buddy, I have to agree with you on the Whitney Houston interview. That girl isn't playing with a full deck! I really feel for that little kid, growing up in such an atmosphere. With those parents, she doesn't stand a chance.

It is only because of my flexibility and stretching exercises that I have been able to maintain my strength and flexibility through all the ups and downs of my illnesses. If this board accomplishes nothing else, our message of taking responsibility and keepin' on keepin' on is so vital to the health of everyone sick with our illnesses. Persistance pays off when it comes to whatever level of exercise we are capable of. I believe it's much better to do a little exercise every day than to do a killer workout once in and while and then pay for it by being immobile for days. Balance in all we do should be our motto.

Love, Mikie