Yoga.......Gentle Stretching ONLY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lsc12, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Lsc12

Lsc12 New Member

Hi All

I'm New here. I was wondering if anyone has tried Yoga - Gentle Stretching Only. My Neurologist has suggested I try it, but I have not been able to find anything in my area that is not strenuous.

Lsc12
  2. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

I'm afraid I don't personally know anything, but in the recent thread about degenerative discs and fibro, I found this response from upk5 which talks about yoga.
    Kripalu Yoga does help 08/23/05 06:15 AM

I have DDD in my cervical spine. I still have problems and had arthroscopic surgery in my both knees. I can't walk or stand for too long, cause they flare up in pain and buckle so I can barely walk. I have had shoulder pain since January '05 and it hasn't gone away. My middle back has been hurting everyday for the longest time. Sometimes I do get lower back pain, and shooting pain down my legs.

I decided to try Kripalu Yoga. I have been going for almost a year now. I like the gentle stretching and postures we do in class. I was a bit skeptical at first and questioned the teacher if she knew about Fibromyalgia. She said, she not only knew about it, but she had it also. She is a therapist by trade first, and to help her FMS she took yoga classes and decided to become a certified teacher and help others. I look forward to my class, it is a good thing. I know it wd. be better if I would do more yoga at home too. Sometimes, I do some of the stretches, but I am not disciplined enough to do it for a long period of time without guidance.

I do recommend trying it. It is a nice gentle way to help your body feel better.

Smiles and hugs,
    Cindy

Maybe you could post a question to her - she seems to have had a good experience with this! Hope this helps, nature

[This Message was Edited on 08/23/2005]
  3. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Dear Lsc12,

Hi. I noticed that naturebaby wrote to you about a different post I had responded to in regards to yoga.

Thank you naturebaby for paying attention to what I had written.

Actually, the Kripalu Yoga class I have been taking for almost a year has been once a week on Tuesday evenings. Last week, was our last Tuesday night class. The studio where our yoga instructor teaches needs the Tuesday spot. So, tonight is the first Tuesday in MONTHS that I have NOT done YOGA. I am missing it, but I am happy to tell you about it! The good news is, she will be adding another class to her schedule. Now we can take it on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Kripalu is so gentle and non-competitive. Our instructor tells us to listen to our bodies. If our shoulders are in pain, we can readjust our arms until we feel comfortable in the posture. It isn't about looking the best on your yoga mat, it is about going to your yogi edge, doing what feels comfortable for your own body. Each student fills out a health questionnaire, so our instructor knows what body parts are bothering the majority of the students. She has shown us ways to care for our ankles, our knees, our shoulders, etc. She also takes time to teach us breathing. Many people do not let enough oxygen into their bodies and the body parts crave the oxygen. Breathing is extremely important when doing yoga and LIVING in general.

I noticed you live in NY. I live in NY too. I live in the NYC area. If you are in my area, I recommend trying this class. If you live somewhere else (NY is a BIG place) do a google search for Kripalu Yoga. I think it has been a tremendous help to me, and the other members of my class as well.

I hope you have found this information helpful. If you have any more questions, please ask. If I can be of any more assistance, it would be my pleasure.

Good luck with your yoga search and practice.

Gentle hugs,
    Cindy