Yoga.......Gentle Stretching ONLY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lsc12, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Lsc12

Lsc12 New Member

Hi All

I'm New here. I was wondering if anyone has tried Yoga - Gentle Stretching Only. My Neurologist has suggested I try it, but I have not been able to find anything in my area that is not strenuous.

Lsc12
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

Moved here from the first topic on this you posted.

Gentle yoga has helped many with these DDs. Are the any classes for the disabled or senior citizens in your area? The instructors who run these are usually better at helping individuals to find the right poses, stretches etc.

I had problems with my joints and lower spine before becoming ill, so went to yoga classes, it encouraged flexibility which as it turned out was the last thing I needed, pilates would have been better for those problems.

Yoga helps with muscle and joint contractures, it also encourages deeper breathing. Circulation often improves noticeably too. I paid for private lesson back in the mid 80s and could feel the difference afterwards: tired but feeling better oxygenated, apparently my pallor would improve too. Yoga can also help with relaxation.

A lot of the classes in the UK offer power yoga now, but that's not suitable for many of us.

Good luck, hope you find the right class/instructor soon.

love, Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 08/23/2005]
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

or other searches on the internet. There are tapes of Yoga for elderly that are really easy. I use one from "Lilias" who used to be on PBS. I have another gentle one I use from the Vt. League of Cities & Towns who provided our health insurance. All gentle stretches,

I tend to do more Yoga in the winter than in the summer as I'm too busy doing other things. But I try to get in the stretches that my chiro gave me.
  4. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

has helped me so much, physically, mentally, spiritually. I recommend Suzanne Deason "Yoga for Stress Relief". It's a 20-minute routine.

With yoga you should never strain or force yourself. You do not have to be as strong and flexible as the teacher is to gain benefits. You can modify the poses and reach only as far as you can. If there is a pose you cannot do, just fast forward the tape/DVD.

If you can find a teacher of Iyengar Yoga in your area, that would be great. They are trained to work with people who have health problems. The poses are gentle and can be modified for each person's condition. I have taken Iyengar classes and found them so relaxing and energizing, never strenuous.

Do you have a local library? You may want to see if they have any yoga tapes/DVDs that you can take out and view to find one that suits you.

Don't give up. Yoga is wonderful.

Best wishes,
    Hopeful4