Yoga put me in a flareneed your help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, May 14, 2006.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I went to a Yoga class, created especially for people in chronic pain. Now, I must admit I went in cold turkey as I don't exercise. I did quite well for the first time and felt great the next day, full of energy. Then the flare hit, as my abs (from my breast down to the pubic area) is so inflammed. What to do? Do I continue with this week's class or wait a week?

Another factor is that I went back on my Actonel when my bone density test came out really bad. I have to take this med even though it makes me ache all over.

For those that exercise, what is your secret to getting up the next day. Does it get better in time?

Thanks,
    Tania
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I took water therapy.one day I had to be pulled out of the pool.All I did was walk.I would just let it heal, otherwise you will put more injury on yourself and be out longer.Lindq
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I think you answered your own question when you said you went at it cold turkey. I know it seems to be mild exercise but we need to start anything slowly. Epsom salts baths often help right away.

See how you feel when the next class somes around. If you are still really sore, you might miss the class. I have done the same type of class, for chronic pain. Even with that, often the poses need to be modified for the individual. I would talk to the teacher and I'm sure she can help. Maybe you will only be able to do half the class or whatever.

If you can work your way up, it is often very helpful so don't give up, at least not yet.

Good Luck
    Kathy.
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

If you are in a flare, be careful. If I were you, I would wait until the flare passes and then try again at a much, much slower pace.

I was in a terrible flare for 10 months and recently started feeling better. I started walking. At first I felt pretty good, so everyday I would walk a little more. All of a sudden I crashed and now I'm back in a flare. I think that we don't realize how little exercise our bodies really will tolerate when we haven't exercised in a while.

Baby steps..that is what we need to remember. For me it hasn't gotten better in time. I have been ill for 8 years and am worse now than ever. However, we are all different and each of us has to find what works. For some, it is daily exercise and for others it is no exercise. Remember, if you have CFIDS, you will probably tolerate less exercise than if you have FMS.

Best of luck,
    Lolalee