Yoga routine for Fibromyalgia sufferer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SoFL_Hokie, Nov 11, 2009.

1. SoFL_Hokie

SoFL_Hokie New Member

I have taken up yoga in the past year and love it. But over the past 4 months I have gone to class so infrequently due to fatigue, but mostly due to my muscle pains and KNEE pains and swelling when kneeling, which we do a lot of in our yoga class. I was also recently diagnosed with Lyme Disease and Fibromyalgia. Does anyone have a good yoga routine that is easy on the knees??
  2. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I remember seeing a yoga DVD on the Gaiam website that was specifically for Fibromyalgia...i think it was $19.00?

i haven't bought it...i just remember it there and it wasn't too long ago...

good luck!
  3. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I had a personal yoga trainer that came to my house and MADE me do yoga workouts with her.

At first I was really sick (I have CFS not FM), but after about 3 months, 3 times a week, I gained strength and stamina. After a year, or maybe 9 months, my body completely rebuilt itself....I had much more everyday energy, was really strong, stomach shrunk, strength took that long too build up muscle to the point it took less energy to do things since I had so much muscle.

Unfortunately I've had to have 4 major surgeries starting with what I thought was a groin pull, my hips have been resurfaced and both knees replaced. This had nothing to do with the yoga.

In physical therapy for my rehabs I learned I'm hypermobile and should never do yoga again.

So I'm back to square one, trying to build up strength with gym and at home muscle building exercise.

The videos she told me to do were the Ali McCraw yoga, and Wai Lana yoga videos. They are regular yoga videos. I'm not aware of any for FM, but these are good yoga workouts.

It takes a seemingly long time to work oneself out of the illness, into strength but yoga can do that. Totally reproportioned my body. Just start slow and build up. I have to let a lot of other things go as I'm building up at first.

I could never have benefit from a yoga class, too much driving, too slow to build up.

Good luck, hope you're not hypermobile.

[This Message was Edited on 11/14/2009]
  4. astroherb

astroherb New Member

Rodney Yee has a really good yoga for back pain that you do sitting down in a chair. Even so you need to start slow, but it does help back pain a lot.