Yoga to help fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Does anyone do yoga that has fibro here? I was watching a show on tv and Peggy Cappy was talking about helping people with pain with yoga. Does anyone do yoga here and if so does it help? Before I buy a tape it would be nice to know if it really helps.
  2. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Certainly not a cure all..but keeping your muscles strong and stretched is good for us! If you decide to try..look for a tape for people that are older...or that have disabilities...I believe they even have a tape for yoga you can do in a chair..which may be a great place for you to start. The great thing about yoga..is you get benefits at whichever level you start from. So many poses can be adapted to your limitations...and you can pick and choose poses that would help you on any given day ..depending on what is hurting that day. I used to take yoga classes...and have used yoga to varying degrees for years, for my stretching..and for stress relief.
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

I practiced Yoga years ago, before I came down with this DD. It's a great, gentle way of stretching.

I bought Peggy Cappy's "Yoga for the Rest of Us" video because I think we definitely fit into the "rest of us" category! I haven't tried it yet, but I'm impressed with her accommodations (like the use of chairs), and breaking the program into 20 minute segments. Thanks for this post; maybe it will get me to actually stuff the video into the VCR and do it!

BTW, I'm taking a Tai Chi class right now, which also offers gentle stretching that would be appropriate for anyone with FM. I do feel better after class.

Go for it.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2007]