Yom Kippur and fasting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeunefille, Oct 12, 2005.

1. jeunefille

jeunefille New Member

I have had CFIDS since December and have noticed marked improvement. I am able to be away at school, go to school full time and participate in a limited amount of outside activites. Of course accomodations have been made for everything, but I'm doing better than most I feel.

I have problems with my appetite where I am just not hungry most of the time but I have been forcing myself to eat, especially today.

Tomorrow is Yom Kippur and tonight I will be starting a 25 hour fast. You aren't supposed to ingest ANYTHING (even water or gum), but I'm still going to drink water. From your experience, is it safe to fast with CFIDS?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sick people are not expected to fast.

Wishing you a blessed holy day.

Love, Mikie
  3. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I agree with the above folks. Those of us who are ill are not required to fast. Then there are the medications, if you take any. And some should be taken with food.

I think that it would help to ask your Rabbi about this. Will he or she understand about CFIDS?

Before becoming ill I was a regular faster for Yom Kippur, but now I just cannot handle it. But, we are all different...or should I say unique!

What about finding something else to fast from...the phone, the car, TV, the computer.

L'shana tova,
    Hopeful4
  4. taniar

taniar New Member

Have had FM/CFS for 25 years. I have not been able to fast.
    Become very ill. I believe the sick are not bound by this law.

L'Shana Tova to all,

Tania
  5. jeunefille

jeunefille New Member

I tried to fast and lasted 4.5 hours before I got really dizzy. Everyone told me not to do it, so I guess they were right. I'm eating Chex Mix right now haha...i feel bad, but I don't want to pass out.
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

It is my understanding that ill people are not expected to fast in the Jewish faith or in Islam.

Deprive oneself, but not to the point where one's health is neglected.

Diabetics cannot fast, and babies and children cannot.

Sips of water and enough food to prevent hypoglycemia would be ABSOLUTELY required in order to maintain one's health.

Our body is a temple.
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have had diabetes for 29 years and can't fast. I don't remember my dad ever fasting either.

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I tried to fast as well...but I don't eat much food at any one time either...and my body just couldn't do it as much as I wanted to.

As others have already said, I agree that getting and staying healthy would be considered the higher priority.