You and also your family members having FM ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by margo60, Jun 14, 2008.

1. margo60

margo60 New Member

I was wondering of how many of you have mothers, dads, daughters or sons dealing with FM besides you ?

As I read the infos they say that FM is not inherited but the tendency to develop it is.
    For the longest time I thought my father had arthritis, but thinking about his behaviour of many years ago makes me think he actually had FM. Unfortunately he passed away and no way to know.

As many of you I spend a great amount of time when I can and when my mind allows me researching everything and anything connecting to FM.

And just wanted you to know ....
    This board and it's wonderful members are a God sent to me.
    Your efforts, knowledge, and support truly appreciated :)

Hugs to everyone ...

2. kel78

kel78 Member

Yes. I have at least 1 sister with FM and I believe my mom may have it, also.

3. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I have a large number of aunts, uncles, cousins, mom, dad, sister and none of them have it. One niece does.
  4. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I have two sisters and a neice with FMS.
  5. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I have FM, CFS, Osteoarthritis, and Periphial Neuropathy.
    My sister has all of the above also. My son has FM, OA, and

My mother had OA AND Osteoporosis. I also believe she had
    FM, but was never dx with it.

Also my 12 yr old grand daughter's dr. thinks she could have the beginnings of FM. She is the daughter of the son mentioned above.
  6. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Hubby and then me allthough we aren't related LOL. My son 18 is showing signs of fibromyalgia. Ruthie
  7. margo60

margo60 New Member

Thank you everyone who replied ...
    I have a friend who had FM for a long time and her daughter is more than likely have it, but not dx yet.

Also an other friend and her mom has it as well.

My grown son is not showing signs as far as I know, but I'm still worried.

Looks like most of you have at least one or more family members with FM/CFS+ and my heart goes out to you all.

It does make me think however with an illness that seem to be this prevalent we are getting so little attention.
    We are pretty much left to your own devices to figure out how we can make our lives a little more bearable.

So far we know what it does to us, but it will be interesting to find out what is actually causing it.

Wishing you all well,
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

My Mom has Fibro too.
    I was DX first,before my mother at the age of 32.(or around)
    my mom was DX in her 60's.
    So she knows how hard this disease is and shes always telling me that I'm way too young to be dealing with this FM. Especially having young children to raise.
    It is tough,..... but somehow I manage,.. we all do.
    I see many people far worse off than me.
    My heart aches for them.

if only there were a drug/med to make it tolerable.
    Nothing so far has made a dent in my symptoms.

My son who is 11 shows some early signs of FM.
    I pray to God he does'nt develope it!!
    That'd be my worse nightmare~
    hugs/take care :)
  9. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Both my mom and my sister have it too. :eek:(

God bless,
  10. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

A distant cousin and a first cousin (same side of the family) both have it.

But I'm wondering if it's genetic or it's just so common? I work in a 6 person office and my boss has it. Another coworker's sister has it, several friends of another coworker have it, several friends of a different coworker have it, as does a cousin of another coworker.

So, between all 6 of us, we know at least 15 people have it.
  11. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

My mom has it too, she is 75 and only developed it over the last few years. And we're pretty sure my grandmother had it, too. Sadly, everyone had Grandma pegged as a "hypochondriac." No one could understand how she could have so many seemingly-unrelated symptoms, and feel so bad one day and fine the next so they figured it was "all in her head."

My two adult sons ages 30 and 32 have myofascial pain and IBS, and I hope and pray they never get any worse. I tell them to watch their stress, their diet, and get plenty of rest and exercise... but... you know. Guys in their 30s are invincible and immortal! They don't think they can ever get like their poor ol' broken-down mom.

layla1954(Lee Ann)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]
  12. margo60

margo60 New Member

Tandy ... yes you are too young to have this ... my heart goes out to all the moms who still have children at home to take care of.

I remember how hard it was to take care of family while my body and mind just wanted to crawl under a rock and stay there.

But somehow with God's help we do manage ...

Frosty ... your list of people with FM is unbelievable !!
    Really, shouldn't we be marching on the streets to get real attention ??!!!

And I'm sure we would if we only had the energy to spare :(

I always think that the final cause of all these mystery illnesses will be something quite strait forward and "simple", but I wonder if we will be ever told.

Can not believe that all these people coming down with the same symptoms would not be caused environmentally.

We must be eating, breathing or drinking something that creates the bases in our bodies to come down with all these
    complicated symptoms.

All the hormones, antibiotics and chemicals in our food must have some effects on our bodies !

The fact that mostly women have it, always brings me back to our hormones ... all our lives we were on a constant roller coaster with them and most of our complaints were ignored.

We were labeled hysterical loonies and were possibly told to see a psychiatrist.

So here we are ... and thanks to God we have this forum to learn from each other :)

Hugs to all
    Margo :)
  13. michsteep

michsteep New Member

My mom was diagnosed w/fms before me making my diagnoses much easier/quicker. My sister is a very healthy women who has strong willpower and doesn't come close to understanding our pain.
  14. margo60

margo60 New Member

Interesting what you say about your sister ...

15 years ago I was a "very healthy woman with strong willpower" feeling that I could concur anything just like your sister!

Then slowly my health started to brake down and my willpower kept me going all these years.
    Then the end of last year dropped me to my knees and arrived to the lowest point in my life.

I'm slowly getting out of the deepest hole I have ever been in and once again ready to fight.

In a way I understand your sister ... no one knows what we are going through until they are walking in our shoes and we don't wish that on anyone.

I have a dear friend who has FM ... when she was dx I new nothing about FM.
    When she was sharing with me all her pains and feelings caused by it being in pain 24/7 I had a hard time wrapping my brain around it even though I'm a compassionate person.

So I was there to listen and help when I could.
    Of course now I have no problem understanding what she is going through. We never know what life will challenge us with ...

Take good care,
    Margo :)