You are ill, disabled, consider utilizing your food banks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, May 21, 2008.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Saving money if low budget 05/21/08 03:39 PM

Need to save more?

We live on one disability check even though both of us are disabled with FM/CFS and arthritis. Now get this, we do not qualify for any help of any kind from DSHS, they want you to starve before they help you.

We decided this year to take advantage of food banks in our area town. I worked all my life for good money and paid taxes as did my husband and I refuse to feel bad about needing help now.

There are a dozen or more food banks in our city. We hit 2-3 every week or ever other week. I see people there in Cadilacs and expensive clothes that I know don't need help.

We get fresh fruit and vegies, not throw offs, as well as breads not old bread either. There is always wheat bread, white bread, sour dough bread, potato bread, raisin bread, bagels, english muffins and so on and on. We even get fresh donuts and rolls from bakeries that are donating.

There is a multitude of canned vegies and fruits, all brand name like Delmonte and so on, not off brands. We get sugar, flour, beans, rice, peanut butter, and many foods that I did not buy when I made big money.

There are big bags of frozen french fries, potatoes already cut for fried potatoes and mashed already seasoned from the factory and oh so good. Last week there was a brand name large box of frozen turkey and gravy, so good.

They don't always have frozen meats but they are a blessing. Sausage, pork, etc.

About all we buy in groceries these days are meat and milk.

What a savings. I worked as did my husband for many years and paid taxes and I refuse to feel bad about this now.

I made big money as a hotel manager, full charge, more then most women make. I worked hard, now I am 61 and ill and I will take this help.

I would suggest to anyone who needs help to do this.
  2. momof27

momof27 New Member

3. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Your story sounds so hard. I certainly can understand why you just can't work anymore. Don't even imagine how you raised all those kids. I am so sorry. I wish I could help. Going through a rough spot myself. (((((momof27)))))
  4. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

It is not a shame to need help or get it. I have been where I had everything we wanted and more and I am now on the other side of the fence.

You do what you need to do. With gas prices going up, they said maybe $7. gallon in 2 more years on news tonight, you need to start thinking and looking out for number ones.

5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Thanks to a friend, I recently found out about some alternative food help. They are special programs that everyone qualifies for to buy food very cheap. I just signed up with the local chapter in my area. It's called Angel Food Ministries. See if they have one in your area, they are in many states:
    What they do is give you alot of food for only thirty dollars. All fresh, new stuff like steaks and chicken. Go to their site for the menu. You will be amazed at how much they give you for thirty dollars. And if you buy the thirty dollar box, you can then choose a smaller box for twenty. But they give alot of food for that. I've been so excited about it that I went to my apartment building's management office with a pamphlet this week. And they were excited about it and are going to look into having the food delivered to our building if we give them enough orders. It's an amazing program.

Here's one more:

There are cheap food programs out there, you just need someone to tell you about them, or you never know.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Once again, you have come up with a brilliant idea. While I usually can make ends meet there have been times such as this month paying taxes, where I am stretched.

It is kind of like paying it forward but with room for the down times. I guess I am saying is what goes around, sometimes comes around. Okay I am not making any sense but I think you know what I mean.

I have been blessed with my sister being very generous to me monetarily when I have been in a jam. While I sometimes hesitate to take her genorosity, she reminds me, "Look, I can afford this. If the tables were turned you would do this for me.

I guess that is what I am trying to convey.

Thanks for the good idea. You're on a roll!

7. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

teasbisquit and,
    This was very helpful and very timely.

It is difficult to accept help when you used to be the one giving help.

8. tandy

tandy New Member

I know we have 1 or 2 in my town. (where I don't know?)
    I could find out.
    Do you need to have some kind of proof of income?

We also do not gualify for food stamps.
    which is crazy. I thought we would with 5 in our family,... but no.
    things are getting pretty rough all over~

thanks for the tip
  9. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Ask you to put name and address down, they don't ask a lot of questions no. A couple of them will ask for S.S. number but that is not for public view, I guess it does just identify you. Another you just sign up your name and each time you go you show your drivers license so they know it is you.
  10. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

TO help the many others here I see need some sort of help.
  11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

This link has a page full of places to go to get help with food.
  12. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Thanks for the new info too.

Yes, it is going to get bad due to high gas prices and transporting food to groceries.

I heard on CBS news 2 nights ago that gas could go to $7. a gallon soon.
  13. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I am very scared with the gas prices. I really don't know what I'll do. I didn't want to have to resort to the Rabbit Transport they have here because when you go food shopping, you have lots of stuff, and I don't know if I could fit it on the bus. Plus, the buses are getting full up lately with so many people unable to afford the gas. With my NMH/POTS severe lightheadedness, I cannot stand for very long. If I have to stand on a bus, I could end up passing out. It's just not good. I hope someone does something about the gas before it really gets to where some of us cannot afford to go out at all.

I didn't even know that Angel Food Ministries was government funded until I saw an article about it tonight. All this time, I thought they were just church funded. I'm still grateful for the program, though.
  14. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

thanks to all with all the great tips for helpful hints to survival when times are tough. we have been to the food pantry a number of times when we food budget has run dry and the kids still want to eat!!
    it is embarrassing but...less embarrassing than having the kids tell everyone at school they don't have a lunch. now that was humbling.

15. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

It is only that wayt to you, others there are likely feeling that way too, but if you need help you need it.

Why be embarrased? I feel this way, I worked for many many years. I am now ill and need help. I feel I have paid my taxes and my dues so to speak to society.

The only people who know you are there are the ones there and likely they don't know you and if you do run into a friend, well they likely need help or they wouldn't be there.
  16. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

Thanks for posting.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Distribution service in my area. It's run from a church. I e-mailed the woman in charger and she responded and invited me to a pancake breakfast on Sat. I'm too late to order the package for May but she will have several on Sat. morning, first come/first served. I can place my June order on Sat.

My hours at work have been drastically cut and with the cost of groceries and gas going sky high, I can no longer break even. This is a God send for me. Thank you so much for posting about this.

Love, Mikie

BILLCAMO New Member

Started this post and I'm very happy she did !

Before I became too ill to work , I often donated some food to the less fortunate via the food banks.

And , now , I find it necessary to accept help from the same sources I used to donate it through. This has been very difficult for me.

But , necessity is also the Mother of Acceptance.

Last year I was still able to donate a little. Our little garden produced more squash and tomatoes than we could use. Whenever we had an excess , I would give it to whichever food bank I would be using at that time.

I hope this post is very helpful to all of my Family here !!!!

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 05/28/2008]
  19. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

We have a great health food store here and they have always had prices on their website. Yesterday I went online looking for pumpkin seeds and no prices so I phoned them.

Joe told me that prices are going up so fast due to gas prices being so high that they just had to take the prices offline as it was all they can do to keep up with them in the store.

I think things are going to get worse instead of better for a while here in the U.S.
  20. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

this post has been a god send for me...i have plans to contact "angel food" and get on the list for next month. thank you, thank you, thank you!!