You CAN exercise try/read this (I'm 40 on CFS scale)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kombucha, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

OK folks.

I've been exercising steadily for weeks with T-Tapp. It is invented by Teresa Tapp and you can google and find website. It was mentioned in Perricone's new book and so I bought Teresa's book and used the 30% off coupon for it to buy her system, Total Workout and then exchanged it for the More Workout. I am LindaSarasota on the forum and you can read my posts.

Why can I do this exercise? I believe it is because of LYMPHATIC drainage. I can do the 20 minute workout as long as I take two days off (to be on the safe side, I have not stepped this up.). I am stronger and move with greater ease. I feel better.

I was at 30 for too long, started up the mitochondrial support supplemetns (alpa lipoic, cranitine co-q10 etc) and got myself to a 35. It was then I thought to attempt a little something...now in the past, trampoline, pilates, walking, stretching all things made me worse, nothing helpful. T-Tapp is helpful, I feel better and I'm now at a 40 on the Bruce campbell rating scale. Do I expect to HEAL because of T-Tapp--not really, BUT I do think it does something beneficial lymphatically, draining/purifying, that my Needak trampoline made not a bit of difference with me.

So all I can say is, check out the site, and invest a little money in the More rehab (get the book and get 30% off the More) and try it--don't like it, pass it on or ebay it. But folks it is something to do physically even at a moderate case of CFS. 35/40 is able to leave house a few times to most days for a couple hours--. I can only recommend trying it at my level or better cause I don't know how it would be at a lesser level.

So there are testamonials, and trainers that have gotten better from CFS and FM. But here you have me with a history of posting on this forum, looking for a way---as we all are. Nothing to be gained by posting this, only wanting to be helpful.

Take care,
    Linda

[This Message was Edited on 02/17/2007]
  2. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Dr. Patricia Fennel who was a presenter at the IACFS Conference also encourages mild exercise to tolerance during the plateau phase of CFS, obviously not during the onset or crisis phases.

I found walking and gradually and building up tolerance helpful in my recovery from my past two relapses. I have begun it again although the weather here has been prohibitive for the most part. I would say I'm 40% on the CFIDS scale. I was wondering when I should start exercising again, and if I were doing the right thing. I think I have confirmation that I am.

Thanks for posting.

CherylSue
  3. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

Teresa Tapp says that walking IS very lymphatic.

The difference with her system is that your shape will change--rather dramatically. There is muscle growth. There is a whole different shape to my legs and arms.

Her website has a bunch of free try before you buy exercises.

I began the system at CFS level 35. To see my progression you can read my posts there. My first workout was a bedridden day, next day housebound, next day regular. Then I worked out again (brave me), that day housebound, next day regular, next day regular. Now I do it and I barely feel any repercussion the day of doing it.

I've tried to do many muscle engaging things at level 35 through the past 20 years---only this has worked.

How much of CFS is deconditioning--they say not much. But golly to have almost no muscle tone to burn and metabolize food has gotta make a difference, plus ability to even stand-up and move through space. I don't care about aerobic conditioning only muscles. You stick an atheletes cardiovascular system in me, I still aint able to do more. You give me an athletes muscles, cleaning the house becomes WAY easier.

Linda

4. Febricula

Febricula New Member

I used to do T-Tapp! :) I think it's a great system ("Hit The Floor" gave me killer abs).

It's pretty strenuous, though, and I couldn't do it today. I'm glad you're able to and that it works so effectively.

Nowadays, I do Pilates and yoga. They also help with lymphatic drainage, and they're not as fast-paced as T-Tapp.

Febricula

5. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

Hi Febricula.

Too fast is why I exchanged the Total system for the More system.

Definately the More rehab is the beginner level, and hit the floor is way down the list in terms of ability.

Like the More rehab 4n1 is to do the More workout (which is what I am doing), then the 3 other programs that come with the More could be utilized in this order
    T-Tapp chair
    Step Away Workout
    T-Tapp Broom

Then for a greater challenge can purchase-

the Total Workout

Then Hit the Floor Softer
    Then Hit the Floor
    Then Step Away the Inches (most cardio).

But if you can do pilates and yoga, good enough. But me I have a pilates machine, and can't, (although there was a period of time of about 4 months I was able to use the machine years ago) pilates videos--can't. And yoga although I've tried it, I didn't feel any benefit from it. And the Genius of Flexibility by Bob Cooley is like stretching to the max made me relapse pretty bad, no matter how little I'd attempt--go figure. So yeah the T-Tapp More is doin' me good. It is very very different.

Linda

6. Febricula

Febricula New Member

Thanks so much for this info! I did T-Tapp 5 years ago, and obviously the program has changed since then.

I'll look into the More series for myself -- it sounds perfect!

I agree that Pilates can be tough -- I should have qualified my answer by mentioning that I do a very wimpy and modified version of Pilates with a trainer. Some days I can do a semi-normal workout ... many other days we just do breathing and simple stretches.

thanks again and have a great weekend,
    Febricula

7. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I like walking outside in the fresh air even when it is cold. It's very invigorating. I try not to push to far, but I find I can gradually build up to a point. When I go over that threshold, I suffer.

CherylSue
  8. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I am glad that is working for you.

I think gentle exercise is good once someone has reached the level of functioning where they can consistently take care of their personal needs without relapse.

Do you think that is a fair assessment?

I keep hoping to get to that point but haven't been successful yet. But I'm going to add this to my list of things to try when I do.

Thanks, and best wishes for your continued improvement.

Shar
    [This Message was Edited on 02/17/2007]
  9. terrilynnb

terrilynnb New Member

OK-here is what I do't get. If FM and CFS are the same disease, why would those with FM improve with exercise and those with CFS get worse? When those of you who say you feel better after building up strength, are you saying you don't have the muscle pain as badly? When I exercise, I can never build it up at all because even a small amount causes a MAJOR relaose and then I can't do anything physical for weeks and then have to start over at square one. Pain has not been my issue. when I take walks or do anything physical, the relapse I refer to is sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, fever, brain fog, and just a general "sick" feeling. Not unbearable pain. Anyone else??
  10. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Is this unique to the T-Tapp system? I am very interested in this and read about it too in Perricone's book.

I am about a 30% and am very concerned about all the muscle wasting and weakness.

I actually just started a thread about T-Tapp a few days ago. I guess you didn't see it.

Please give us a little info about the Lymphatic aspects.

Thank you.
  11. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I didn't think I could do much of any exercise, bedridden much of the time and sick.

I hired a yoga instructor to come to the house, she very gradually built me up, at first it was hard, relapses, etc. But it became easier and easier. By nine months I was "in shape", my body had reporportioned itself (got rid of bulk around the tummy) and I was very, very strong.

Then I was able to have so many good days and could go all day long. I thought it was because I'd gotten so strong that any energy outgo was easier to tolerate due to less exhertion in a strong body. My instructor said it was because yoga is a healing practice.

If I hadn't had a personal instructor who made me work out and changed every session to correspond with how I was feeling that day, I don't know that I would have been able to progress to the point I did.

Now I miss it terribly if I don't get to work out those muscles and get rid of pain through yoga.

I believe I have CFS only now, although I once was diagnosed with FM. My great CFS doc thinks they are the same illness but FM has a pain component.

Yoga came very close to curing me.

Hollie
  12. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

lousek, I can't really speak more about the lymphatic aspect. I learned from the book, and from the website. It is my hunch that this aspect of it is why it is doable for me.

Febricula, yoga is supposed to be healing. People say this T-Tapp is too.

Please see the T-Tapp website and decide for yourself about buying the More to try for yourself. Or get the book to read more about it and have the coupon w/30% off of More that would cover the cost of the book. There are bunches of Free exercises on the website. And if you want to see her on TV, she is on Monday on the Daytime show. It is here in Florida and other states, check her website for states/channels/times if you want to catch her mondays in february.

Remember I am LindaSarasota that has posted on her forum.

Linda
  13. phoenixrising2

phoenixrising2 New Member

Your response to exercise is the same as mine. It's very discouraging.

A few months ago, I was feeling a little better and I started walking my dog around the block. I had a big relapse with all the symptoms you related in your post.

I told my CFS doc about it and she said to never walk fast enough to make it aerobic. Kind of hard not to do. Anyway, I haven't tried it again as I haven't felt like it. Aerobic is what gets us.

I would love to find something that wouldn't send me into a full blown relapse.

Hugs,

Phoenix

14. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

15. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

I can now workout every other day.

Linda
  16. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

I continue to get more muscle, greater definition.

Folks I urge you to at least go to the website and read about FM and CFS'rs who have used T-Tapp and improved.

I still think though you'd need to be 35 or better on the CFS scale though to start.

LindaSarasota on the t-tapp forum.
  17. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

Forgot to mention--

I'm at 45 on the CFS scale for the last few weeks while continuing to do T-Tapp.
  18. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

CFS/Fibromyalgia Rating Scale

Fully recovered. Normal activity level with no symptoms.

Normal activity level with mild symptoms at times.

Near normal activity level with some symptoms.

Able to work full time but with difficulty. Mostly mild symptoms.

Able to do about 6-7 hours of work a day. Mostly mild to moderate symptoms.

Able to do about 4-5 hours a day of work or similar activity at home. Daily rests required. Symptoms mostly moderate.

Able to leave house every day. Moderate symptoms on average. Able to do about 3-4 hours a day of work or activity like housework, shopping, using computer.

Able to leave house several times a week. Moderate to severe symptoms much of the time. Able to do about 2 hours a day of work at home or activity like housework, shopping, using computer.

Able to leave house once or twice a week. Moderate to severe symptoms. Able to concentrate for 1 hour or less per day.

Mostly bedridden. Severe symptoms.

Bedridden constantly. Unable to care for self.

19. ArgyrosfeniX

ArgyrosfeniX New Member

Having looked at the scale now, I would rate myself an 80 when
    in remission and about a 30-40 during my flareups depending on
    how bad they are. Leaning toward a 30 the past few days...

Best wishes all!
  20. 6cats

6cats New Member

I have the site bookmarked,,,have to wait for a payday from SS.....anything is worth trying!!!!