You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morningsonshine, Jul 2, 2008.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Just have to share this, but it's more amusing if you're familiar with this old song by Roger Miller. When we were kids we had a record called Whacky Westerns that had alot of great funny songs.

Every summer my Dad takes my two oldest boys and my brothers boy out to North Dakota with him. They always spend sometime at Medora park.

My brother's boy is the oldest 15 he is a natural comedian and a adrenalin pumping risk taker. Those run in my family.
    Anyways the last two years he has brought his skateboard out to the park in Medora, some great hill out there.

Well he found something out this year!! You really CAN skateboard in a buffalo herd!!! LOL

Wish my dad had taken a picture, evidently he was coming down a long hill on the road with a corner, and when he came around the corner a herd of buffalo were right on the road.
    And he skateboarded right thur them!

I just love the mental picture of that.

[This Message was Edited on 07/02/2008]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

he had some funny ones. I remember 'Melanie' also about her rollerskates.

Hmmmm, wonder if therealmadscientist could use rollerskates instead of bicycling and the mountain lion would be freaked out?

(New song maybe: You Can't Rollerskate by a Mountain Lion?)

BTW, isn't he the one that also did that song that talked about "Don't tell me, I've got nothing to do" as he "counts the flowers on the wall" and watches Capt. Kangaroo????

3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You can't go swimmin' in a baseball pool!

Is the parakeet cage on You can't go fishing in a parakeet's cage? I can't remember that one!

Oops, that was You can't take a shower in a parakeet's cage! You can't go fishing in a watermelon patch and you can't go driving with a tiger in your car and you can't change film with a kid on your back!

Love that song!

What about Tennisee Birdwalk? Loved that one, too!

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Your nephew sounds like he's headed for trouble. Also sounds like he'll have a lot of fun before he gets there. Too bad his adventure wasn't captured on video.

Last time (ok, the only time) I saw Roger Miller he was appearing at the Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas. He introduced me to his mother who was looking glamorous in a topless, white evening gown.

I used to handle insurance claims for all the hotels in Vegas.

Flowers on the Wall is by the Statler Brothers. One of the few good songs they wrote themselves. They recorded so many lame songs that they had written. Hell-looo. There are hundreds of great songs around. Record some of them.

I saw them w/ Johnny Cash and June Carter in a concert 41 years ago.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

One of the all time Favorit's! "Chug-a-lug" "King of The Road",,,,I've been listening and watching him on Youtube for the last hr! Thanks Misty for the Reminder!,,,,,Kool how your Nephew got to actually skate in a Buffalo Heard!,,,,Sis
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

you're right........ I am easily confused and had to check, even tho I knew you're right... they sound similar just enough...

So I looked them up, this is why I did get confused, according to some people the Statler brothers were influenced by him (obviously?):

"Roger Miller is another obvious influence, and the group (Statler Brothers) not only revitalizes his "King of the Road" with their trademark harmony vocals, but also offers their own charming, Miller-inspired novelty entitled "The Doodlin' Song" (sample lyric: "does a stink weed really stink/and how far down does a kitchen sink?")."

So now at least now I know WHY I got them confused, and don't feel so brain-fogged (another name for 'stupid' for me these days)!

7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

how I can't remember what happened yesterday but can remember lyrics I haven't heard for decades!

It's very Zen. You can't rollerskate in a Buffalo herd but "you can be happy if you've a mind to". I had no idea Roger Miller was a Zen master but it seems he was!

Peace out,
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I watched the old movie, "Thunder Road," with Robert Mitchem. It is now a cult classic. Mitchem later recorded "The Ballad of Thunder Road." I would love to download it for my phone/mp3 player.

My ex and I watched it on our first date and the song was popular then. It's not nostalgia for my ex which makes the song and movie special to me. It's nostalgia for a time when I was young, felt well physically, looked great, and thought anything was possible. I'm older and wiser now and wouldn't go back for anything, but I can still remember what youth felt like. Nothing brings back those kinds of memories like the old songs.

Love, Mikie
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Your not kiddin' about the Memories of our youth and all the Music-Movies to go with it!,,,,,Watched a concert on PBS,,,saturday night with the "REO Speed Wagon" Band preforming,,,,,,,I just happened upon it during a channel surf,,,,,,

to make a long story short,,,,I could sing along with almost all there songs almost word for word,,and also the Roger Miller songs from above,,,It's strange,,,,But Wonderful how that part of our Memorys have been preserved!,,,,,Their 1970's hit was "Riding the storm out",,,,,,,,Heading over to you tube to check out the "Ballad of Thunder road"

[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2008]
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have also enjoyed a lot of those specials on PBS. One featured folk songs, one featured old R&B's groups, and one was even from the 50's. If I win the LOTTO, I'm buying all the Time Life CD collections.

I wish Shirl were feeling up to being online more. There is nothing she loves more than reliving those Golden Oldies and our lives back then.

Love, Mikie