You gotta love SSDIs ignorance. Wait 'till you hear this one

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Jul 26, 2006.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I was just approved on June 29th for SSDI. My Medicare would have gone into effect in February. Now, I wasn't approved in February but I have to pay back Medicare premiums back to February. I told the rep that wasn't right - I couldn't use it in February, March, April and June - why would I have to pay for it. She said that it didn't seem right but that was the way it was. I guess I should be glad to have SSDI now but I'm mad about having to pay $450 for absolutely nothing. I feel sorry for anyone having to wait much more than two years because they will take those Medicare premiums out of your back pay. And since it's the gov., we can't do anything about it.
  2. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

I didn't get my $$$ yet, but I got my award info packet about 2 weeks ago.

I couldn't stand to even look at all of it, so I set it aside.

Guess I better get it out now and read through it.

I am just so sick of thinking about all of it.

I am on my husband's insurance, so I would think they can't double-charge?

But then, it IS the gov't, is it not?

This stuff literally makes me sick to my stomach.
  3. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

HI, what a crock- it just never ceases to amaze me on things- no woonder we can't so stressed. I have had my papers from SSD for almost 2 weeks and I having a hard time filling out..

The more I hear the more I get soo upset and you have no control over this stuff.

Good luck
  4. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Sorry, I just reread what I typed and meant no wonder we get so stressed.....

Forgive misspelled words please
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

so don't feel left out...in my state i also qualify of medi-cal....so they are paying my premiums...now...

you have to do a spend down...leave 3k in the bank or less...

jodis
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

any back payments for Medicare.

They told me to pick mt start up date so I picked the date one month after I got approved.You need to call Medicare and I'm sure you wont have to pay it.One reason is you have a choice to take Medicare or not.Please call them.

Sue
  7. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

It is two years after you were eligible for SSDI (excluding waiting period) that Medicare can begin. For example, I was disabled on September 19, 2003. There is a six month waiting period so SSDI payments could have begun on March 13, 2004. As of February 13, 2006, I was eligible for Medicare. I was given wrong info too from a lot of people who said it was two years after you were approved - this is not the case.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to contact Medicare. I get my first check on August 9 and the back pay should soon follow. I can't believe this is finally coming all together.
  8. ritamcc

ritamcc New Member

I don't mean to sound dumb or stupid but what is the difference in ssdi and disability??? I applied for disability and was wondering how long it takes for a decision.I have Fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis.
  9. ephemera

ephemera New Member

it's this crazy???