You have helped me with everything now............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by silky17, Jan 25, 2006.

1. silky17

silky17 New Member

I have asked help for allot of things but I bet this is a new one for all of you.

I might be getting a roommate and I want to know what is fair? If I pay my home off (God willing) and have no payment what should I charge for someone to live with me. I know half of utilities but what should I consider if there is no payment?

The bad thing is that this is my cousin whom I call my soulmate (doesn't have to be a lover to be soulmates), we usually get along great. She is having health problems too and having a difficult time working. She does work and is well paid but she just got divorced and is struggling.

So what do you guys think?

Thank u all,
    Debbie
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Please do not forget property taxes and your property ins.

Sue
  3. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i would consider everything,she isnt planning on living rent free and may even be offended if you suggest it.

work through all your monthly costs and split it.how are shopping bills going to be dealt with?
    wouid you cosider going together or having your own shelves/cupboards.

if these things are discussed before she moves in then it will expel the possibility of any bad feeling.
    also think about the phone bills/internet.

the most important thing,have fun :)
  4. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

of your home if you were renting it out.... splitting that in half would seem fair to me.

consider all the expenses and talk it over...helping family is what family's do so you may not want to charge the full half value of rental value...if your house is paid for and that is not an expense for you... there are so many things you should consider... good luck and enjoy this time together as you help each other.
  5. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

Even if it is a small amount, she should pay something more than half of the expenses. Even if it is $10. She is working still and has an income. If the time comes that she stops working you can revisit the situation and see what you want to dod.

Most people I know begin to resent people that live with them for free, even someone they are super close to. The ones that have been successful are the ones that the owner of the home is paid at least something.

Just my two cents.

Tanya Sue
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Kat-e is right. Monthly expenses are only part of the cost. Insurance, taxes and repairs. I hear a new roof, for example, costs at least $5000 nowdays.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

especially since she is a relative.

It's hard to suggest a fair price because the cost of renting a room is so different according to what part of the country you live in.

Is she basically going to just rent a room to sleep and have kitchen/laundry room privledges?

I don't know if splitting the utilities is exactly fair. It's according to so many variables ... like do you have a couple freezers running, etc. Why should she have to pay for the electric to maintain your freezers or extra refrigerator when all she is going to do is put a few things per month in them? Stuff like that.

But what she does pay you should consist a portion for rent and a portion for utilities. Maybe if you know what amount of income she has, you could charge her 20 or 25% of that income for rent and utilities combined, and then she buys her own groceries.

I think this is going to have to be an individual decision--made by you, or better yet--you two discuss and work out what you both think is fair.

You two might also want to discuss a time schedule for her staying--just in case you find that her moving in was a big mistake.

My nephew owned a large 2-story house which had 4 bedrooms, a pool table in the house, a big screen TV in the living room, an in-ground pool and hot tub outside, a washer and dryer, and he was single. He rented out his other 3 bedrooms to interns who came to the local hospital for just one set amount--something like $300/month and they bought their own groceries and had run of entire house, except for the other bedrooms, of course. He said he made enough money on it to pay his house payment as well as save some for home improvements.

When those interns' year was up, they would refer the next year's interns to him, so he always kept them rented. Until ..... he met this girl ... and they decided to get married. They didn't get married until all the rental contracts were up. And .... the was the last of the room rentals!! LOL
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

My recommendation:

1. Check out local room rates in your area or the going rate of rental for a home like yours minus 1/2 then discount it by 15% as it's shared.

2. Add 1/2 of the utilities.

Discuss this amount with her and then discuss how you want to handle food and kitchen privileges along with visitors, inviting people to dinner, etc.

I've been involved in sharing homes and the biggest problem is always the use of the kitchen, who has what food, who can have special dinners, inviting people over, etc.

If you can discuss all this and work something out, I'd put it in writing, even though she is your "soul-mate," and have her sign an agreement. The best frienships and "relations" (meaning relatives) can go array with misunderstandings over living arrangements. Make sure everything is really clear.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!