"You hurt HERE!"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Saoirse3, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Last week was yet another round of MRI's, blood draws - I think everyone knows the drill. I have been having severe pain in my hip and my doctor did an MRI on my hip, as did my spine surgeon on cervical and lumbar spine. Now, I know about referred pain and my hip could be a result of another injury and I'm okay with that. But when my doctor told me that, according to the results, my hip DID NOT hurt and there was nothing wrong with it and that it was really my neck that hurt, I asked him if he meant referred pain. And he said "No. It's just that your hip doesn't hurt you, but your neck does!" I told him my neck was NOT hurting and I didn't go up and down the stairs on my head (maybe I should!) and he said I should use a cervical pillow (I do anyway). "And my hip...?" "Well, that's not what hurts! It's your neck!" Being the smartmouth I am, I WANTED to say "Speaking of a pain in the neck..." but I didn't. Instead I will just meekly hurt where they tell me to! Baaaaaaa....

Soft hugs,
  2. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

I know it's probably not funny to you but I started laughing when I read your post! What's so tough about this disease is that people hurt in places where nothing appears to be wrong. I think you should consider changing doctors...or, like you said...you can just hurt where he tells you to! Good luck and I hope you feel better!!!

Rebecca :)
  3. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I'm thinking of having a dozen little temporary tattoos made up that say "For pain, press HERE!" Two more days until I get the Nucynta. Oh, yes indeed, I'll let you know how THAT goes!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Because I take AV's for an unknown virus, likely in the Herpes Family (the most common in people with CFIDS/ME are EBV, CMV and HHV-6) my medical records from my PCP state I have "Herpes." I saw an ENT who insisted I have genital Herpes and no explaining would satisfy him. He was a prissy, judgemental man and I hope I never have to see him again. I told him there was no shame in having genital Herpes and if, in fact, I did have it, I would fess up. My dad was a doc and he hated docs like this. He used to tell doctor jokes about docs who thought they were God.

I say it's your choice: Hurt where you want to or hurt where this doc says you do so you can feel you got your money's worth :)

Love, Mikie
  5. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Saoirse3 said:
    "Being the smartmouth I am, I WANTED to say "Speaking of a pain in the neck..." but I didn't. Instead I will just meekly hurt where they tell me to! Baaaaaaa...."

I can't tell you how much that comment made my day. I went in for abdominal adhesion pain and came out with a fusion of my L5/S1 vertabra BAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

6. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

No one can tell you where you hurt or that you don't hurt and actually believe they are telling you something intelligent. You hurt where you hurt because signals to your brain tell it that you have pain. Referred pain is real. Your pain is real. Your pain sensitivity is also unique. You are NOT crazy. And when they say "it's all in your head" I know that's true...because that's where my brain is and it works! (giggle - jokes on them then!)

I recently had an ENG done (electric stimulation thru a needle into my arm and neck at various spots). When the doc inserted the needle I didn't even flinch. Heck, I've had so many pokes for blood, IV's etc that it wasn't painful. I barely felt it. He looked up at me and said "WOW, you're strong!" I said, "what do you mean by that?". He said that most of his patients scream, cry and can't tolerate the pain, but that my pain level must be extremely high all the time for me to not even flinch. So, I was glad it didn't hurt to have this test done, but not so glad that I have this pain all the time.
  7. This story isn't about CFS, but I know you all as fellow CFS sufferers will appreciate it: I was in a gynecologist's office having some abnormal cells on my vaginal wall killed by cauterization - that is, burning them away. I got nothing for pain because my doctor t0ld me it would be painless. He starts the procedure and I start screaming in pain - not just "Ow!" but literally screaming. The doctor continues the procedure nonetheless and when I protest, he and his co-worker, another MD, insist it can't be painful because there aren't any pain nerve endings in that area. I finally looked up at these two men and asked, "How would you know? Have you ever had this done to you?" No response. I changed gynecologists after that.

The first and most important thing medical students should be taught is, Good doctors listen to their patients. I'm still trying to find one after 15 years with CFS.
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I had the same cauterization done many years ago by my ob/gyn. Twice, in fact. I complained of pain and he said it couldn't hurt because the cervix had no nerves. It hurt like the dickens.

Where do they get these ideas. He also didn't give much pain medication during labor. I found another ob after that and found out that I didn't need to suffer that way. This was a LONG time ago. No epidurals.

I'm surprised they're still using cauterization. GB66