You made me cry in a good way

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 00a7370, Mar 23, 2007.

1. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

Thank those of you who responded to my post. It made me cry. I've been working for 23 years at the same company and only have two years till I early retire at 55. I didn't imagine myself going out this way. I thought that I'd have the obligatory farewell dinner and say a proper goodbye to everyone. What I have realized is that the people at work that I thought were my friends really weren't. When I fell at work and was out for five months, noone called, emailed or sent a card. I then realized that they were "pretend" friends. I've been so busy all these years working at a high pressure job with a lot of overtime and have two mentally ill kids to cope with that I haven't cultivated any real friendsl. I have two adult daughters who I thought would be there for me and they weren't either. I always thought that it was karma and that what I gave to them would come back to me. I'm so glad I came upon this website. It will do more to make me feell better than any RX's. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
  2. Didoe

Didoe New Member

00a
    Your post touched me, as my life sounds almost identical. I think at work, where we spend so much time, things have changed. I dont know if you're in U.S, but no matter, the level of competition is so fierce now that either you're in it, or you're not. You're sick...you're clearly not 'in the game' My ultimate boss is a woman only a few older than me, I'm early 50s. Never wants to hear anything except 'everything's great!' This year has been devastating for me, she knows most of the details and still anticipates, 'everything's great!' And that what she gets.
    When I needed accomodations, to discuss how bad my mental and physical state has become and that I need help, I didn't bother groveling to her, I knew what I would hear, "deal with it".
    As for colleagues of 15+ years, people choose their friends, sometimes not for altruistic reasons. People smile in your face because you have power, may control things they need or want and could care less once you're out of the way.
    As for kids, I'm speechless, having four who just inherited a small fortune each and know their mother is ill, never once asking if I needed anything.
    You're on your own and so are many of us.