You people in your 20's and 30s...do you work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Oct 1, 2005.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

Just wondering. I'm 30 and live with my fiancee so I'm lucky that he's able to pay for everything. I go to nursing school full time but have been having a really rough couple of months and have been considering dropping out. It's hard to even get out of bed, much less try to go to the hospital and help other sick people.

Meow
  2. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

just to answer your question.. i'm 23 ( younger for this board i think).... anyway. I've been on and off with jobs... sometimes i can work.. some months i'm completely overwhelmed.. i dropped out of school, but God willing am going back in Jan. I'll usually start working, get through a few months, feel good about myself, then completely crash after i think i'm feeling a bit better and quit. Its a constant cycle... i'm still striving to break it though. Unfortunately i have to pay for almost everything myself, and my parents were never well-off... so its extra stressfull if i want the privilege of driving or having money to spend with friends.. >_O unless i want to live in my house like a hermit... which i dont want to do.. but i find myself doing sometimes.
  3. sickasadog

sickasadog New Member

i can totally relate to that cycle!!!!! It has been my life for years. Unfortunately, most employers are not very understanding about chronic illness, especially not ones like this that are not taken too seriously!!! ;-(

-SD
  4. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi there!
    I work full time, but....It seems my pattern is I stick with a job for 2-3 years then I start to get real irritable or feel the need to quit...Right now I am doing something I really enjoy (Surgery Vet Tech), and that helps, but I find myself having to check everything I do 2-3 times to make sure I dont screw up...
    I have to say that sometimes when I get paid, I wonder why I work for so little...(My husband makes in one day what I make in 2 weeks...no kidding) I then remind myself I love what I do...I get tired pretty quick though...
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I guess I'm out of the loop on this question, but ......

I worked full-time, with 3 babies and a husband to raise, all through my 20s, 30, and 40s! (Note: those babies in your 20s turn in to elementary schoolers in your 30s involving school activities and homework, and in your 40s they turn into teenagers when all heck breaks loose and the stress grows worse!)

I had fibro, cfs, lupus, arthritis, heart trouble, back trouble, and lots more the entire 20s, 30s, and 40s.

I drove over 50 miles to work, and over 50 miles back home. Worked 10-12 hours a day, 5 days a week. Sometimes got called in on Saturdays. Travelled some, too.

Had a lot of extracirriclar activities with the kids, worked on the farm, and spent the rest of every waking moment in the doctors offices or the hospitals!

I fully believe in the saying ... Life Sucks, Then You Die!

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. andymac

andymac New Member

and i did work as a head chef up until last october when i was told by my doc to give up work as it was making me worse and my cfs was just taking over my life and it got to a point where i could hardly stand up never mind work,i also suffer with cluster headaches and the heat in the kitchen was setting them off which meant i was taking alot of sickleave.
    i am thinking about re-training to do something else more suited to my lifestyle.

andy
  7. DesertSnow

DesertSnow New Member

I don't work, but I'm in HS school and planning to go to college and I do plan to get a job once out of college.
  8. hob

hob New Member

I'm 23 years old and have struggled to work over the last two years. I had to stop school because it was too stressful, but I will go back soon. I have noticed that jobs with a "regular" 9-5 are better than one with a rotating schedule. Also i've noticed that high stress jobs like sales are not good for my fibro and ms.
  9. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

but not at a regular job. I work with my Dad from his house, and they live across the street from me so it's not even a far drive! I used to work for a health insurance company, and then when I got the fibro 5 years ago I had to quit.

I don't think I could hold a regular job with a regular boss. I take very frequent breaks (and since I work from my parents house I can just go lay down for a bit if I need to), and some days I just can't work cause I feel too awful. Fortunately, I have been feeling better lately!

Jessica
  10. orachel

orachel New Member

...Sales job, but I haven't been able to go for 4 months. Just been too ill. Good benefits, or so I thought...I've been fighting with them for 4 months to get my st disability benefits and haven't brought in a dime in 4 months. We just cannot live on my husbands salary alone. I've been feeling a bit better the last few weeks...still wretched, but at least I can feel up to some minor things like doing dishes or doing a sit down craft with my stepkids. I actually took a walk around the block with my stepdaughter today, and felt so ridiculously proud of myself.

4 months ago I had no idea that any of this was possible. I was healthy, active, and in good shape. This just came out of the blue.

So...NO don't think I'll be able to work full time at my current job or at any other for quite some time. I simply don't have it in me, plus when I got sick 4 months ago it was so bad, so quickly....I'm just not up to getting a new professional position every few months then losing it due to sickness and being unable to do the job.

I don't know what I'm going to do, quite frankly. I'm only 30, and I know chances of getting SSD are pretty limited due to recency of illness and my age. I feel like the job that I wasn't crazy about, but worked pretty dang hard in my field for 10 years to get to has just been YANKED away from me....not to mention any future career.

I'm newly married, and my husband and I just flat out don't know how to get thru this time financially. Plus, we just took in my godmother who is partially disabled and has zero income or disability benefits as she was stuck in an abusive relationship....got her out of there, thank goodness, but another mouth to feed?

I'm pretty much terrified for the future.

Rachel
  11. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Since I was 15 I worked a steady full time job.

Between 2003/2004 I had to take a total of 14 weeks medical leave. Just this past December & January is when my health really started to go downhill quick. Since February I've been unable to work - and it has been made quite clear by my doctors that I'll never go back to work again.
  12. Bambi

Bambi New Member

social services and see what she can get for emergency funds, food etc.. She can also call any shelters or hot lines for abused women. She should be able to find a way to help out, at least with her own keep.
  13. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Like Rachel, I am technically employed yet at my most recent job, but like others, it has been an on-and-off pattern, reflecting my flares over the years.

i worked as a nursing assistant at our local hospital while I went to school for nursing, but I had to drop out of school... I still had a 4.0, but I couldn't physically keep up any more. Finally, after passing out at work and suffering after each 8-10 hour shift, I had to resign.

Hoping that it was simply the demanding work and variable schedule that drove me over the edge, I got an administrative job in healthcare, working 4 days/ week at a desk. Things went great, but my health kept interfering with work, and finally, after I revealed to my administrator the nature of the issues I was battling, she put me on a leave of absence, to allow me "to get everything staightened out"... the only problem is, I think what I've figured out is that I will always have these periods of chronic absenteeism and occasional tardiness, rather than "resolve" them as she'd hoped.

Besides the fact that most employers are not wiling to sign on to a future of periodic absences and tardiness, I'm not sure I want to go back. Work drains me. Whether it is physical or mental, it takes valuable energy away from my family... I have a work history at this point, detailing "issues" with absenteeism that will stigmatize me any where I try to go in this small town.

I'd rather focus on my family. Technically, however, I am still on a "leave of absence". We'll see.
  14. damyank

damyank New Member

Hey Meow
    I still work and if anybody knows retail can be a real struggle,I am a 34 yr. old male and I am a fighter. I know there are limits to what I can do but I push myself to the limit and pay for it daily but gotta make a living.My wife is on disablity ssi for ms and would lose everything if this was to happen.I gotta fight the good fight to provide for my family and will do whatever it takes!!!!