You will NOT believe what I'm thinking of doing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by satchya, May 27, 2009.

1. satchya

satchya New Member

I have an appointment with my rheumatologist today actually to discuss this, but I think my mind is made up already. And I think this is the reason I had to "come off" the lortab long enough to get my head clear to "hear" what I want to do when I grow up ;).

Some of you may know that I am a gym nut. The reason I'm a gym nut in spite of painful fibro is because there is a class there called cardio funk which is dance aerobics that is so much fun I'm beyond passionate about going. I've gone in the middle of my worst flares. I've gone the day after a tetanus shot for heavens sake. I've always loved to dance. I was a cheerleader pre fibro, grew up doing musical dance theater, etc.

Anyway, about four months ago I got frustrated that the new songs weren't coming fast enough in class (I LOVE learning the new songs, I pick them up fast and that's blissful heaven to me being in class learning new choreography), so I started choreographing my own at home for fun. My kids love watching and playing along, and they're old enough that they started picking up some of the choreography, and then more, and then all of it. The Saturday morning I came downstairs to find them doing "my" choreography without me was the giddiest feeling I've had in a long time.

I don't know what I was thinking, but last week I made a c.d. of the songs I had complete choreography for and gave them to my teacher (who is well on his way to being famous by the way--has a part in a hollywood movie coming out, an exercise dvd coming out, auditions for two more movies this month, etc.). I agonized all weekend wondering WHY I had done that. What was I thinking??

Yesterday was the moment of truth and after discussing it with him he said he thought I should get certified through AFAA and become an instructor!!!!!! He said I have the right instincts. I can choreograph! I can dance! :) ! I mentioned finding software that lets me mess with the speed of songs to make the beats per minute perfect and he said he knows plenty of other instructors who never even "hear" that that's necessary. They just play their music straight from their ipods and never realize that the speed should be different.

Anyway, what I really want to do is teach kids! Elementary and Junior High age kids to be exact. At gyms, YMCA's, boys and girls clubs, homeschoolers, etc. I want to get certified and teach kids dance aerobics for fun and fitness. Yesterday after I had that AHA moment I danced for three hours. I'm in so much pain this morning but I feel so happy and right.

Now I have to buy a textbook and start studying. The certification exam is all day with written and practical portions and it's on September 11th, so I've only got the summer to get ready. I did get an A in Biology in college, how different can exercise physiology be?? right?

Am I crazy to have fibro and be considering this?

I'm going to ask my rheumy, but I think I've already made up my mind.
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That's a great idea and I can see why you're so enthusiastic about doing that.

I think a person with mild FMS can do that. I think a way to test yourself would be to figure out how many hours a day you'd be working out, counting creating your workout sessions and then work out that much for a few weeks and see how you feel.

If you can handle it then go for it. Or maybe you'll need to modify it and team with someone so you can have another person to rely on if your body gives out some days.

I think it's important to go for your dreams but be realistic about it. Good luck :)

3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Your enthusiasm shines and I say go for your dreams. Smile

The only thing I would say is to please listen to your body so
    can get the rest you need.

Good luck, Keep us posted.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  4. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

If you can do it. Perhaps you can even come up with a few steps for us that can't move like you can (I'm jealous, I used to love to dance)!

Good for you...I bet you will be fantastic and sail right through that test.
  5. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

and completely came off as something you should definately do!

i believe, if we are able to do things (work, exercise, whatever it may be), that we should continue with it. i believe it helps us, and probably keeps us from getting worse.

i know, unfortunately, some are not able to do some of these things, and my heart goes out to them.<3

this sounds like it's your calling right now! keep up the motivation, and go for it!

it will be both physically and mentally rewarding!

do you have someone else thay could maybe be an "assistant" to you, or possibly a business partner? then maybe if you do have some bad days, they can help with continuing your classes? just an idea.

i wish you the best. it sounds like a wonderful idea! and congrats on going for your dreams!
  6. satchya

satchya New Member

Rheumy Says Thumbs UP

This was one of my four month follow-up appointmenst which was previously scheduled anyway, I took that as yet another sign that this is the right thing for me to do.

She said go for it. She said use "common sense". She also reminded me that when you're in pain daily like a lot like fibromyalgia patients are, you learn to tell the difference between "normal" pain and "injury" pain. When I'm "injured" stop and rest. When I'm just in the same pain I'm always in no matter what I do to try to stop it, keep dancing. ;) LOL

She said she has such a hard time convincing some of her patients to exercise she'd rather have me err on the side of too much exercise (That is her advice to ME--I do NOT have any preexisting medical conditions like slipped discs, degeneration, etc.--I am not YOU--I am not judging YOU ;) ).

She changed my rx for tizanidine from 4 mg at a time to 8 mg at a time, but said I cannot go higher than that at a time, and was reluctant to go that high (I requested it--I have a very high tolerance for meds). She seemed to think that any more than 8 mgs at a time would turn me into a zombie.
  7. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Are you kidding? You'd be crazy to NOT follow your dreams!!!

How many peeps ever get a real chance to do what they love?

I'm THRILLED for you! I was actually having a fairly sucky day, til I read your post!

I'm doing my wheelchair version of my HAPPY DANCE for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY 4 U!
  8. lovemykennedy

lovemykennedy New Member

Satchya I have posted a couple of things, and I don't mean to keep on, but I see where you posted sometime back about ectopic pregnancy, would you be so kind to share your story with me?