You wont believe this .........What My Doctor Just Did

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzetal, Feb 27, 2006.

1. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Ran out of cymbalta. My co pay is 92.00 I do not have it....

I called my Doctor to see if he had a few to tide me over till I get my SS check on the 8th.....He called back just now...........Gave me a whole months supply for free...............CAN you believe it..........I knew I had a good shrink .......but boy this is unbelieveble...........A whole months worth.....Maybe more of us should call our doctors to see if they can help us...

Sue Just wanted to share
  2. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I watch the pharm.reps come into the offices to see the drs so most have whole rooms of samples.. It never hurts to ask. Especially since most of us dont have money anymore.
    God Bless

Suzette
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It seems esp. common w/ shrinks, they get so bombarded w/ samples from pharma cos. peddling their wares. They need to do something w/ them besides throwing them out. I guess they can only take so many themselves, heh.

It's good to share that, because it always surprises me how many people haven't learned "it never hurts to ask nicely". the worst they can say is no really. And doctors are mostly in this to help people. I know people w/ fm/cfs often feel like doctors have it in for them, but it's mostly that doctors just feel helpless and don't know what to do for them. But if you are low income, there is a good chance you can find a doctor to help somehow w/ rx's. My old GP used to walk me to his supply closet and let me shop for free, and hokey doodle you should see what they accumulate!!!

Jeanne
  4. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I have a friend with FM and diabetes. She has no health insurnace, and not a lot of money. She has told me many times that her doctor keeps her supplied with samples. She very rarely has to buy a drug. When she gets low she just drops by the doctors office, and they give her a months worth of samples.

I doubt if this is a very common practice. I get samples sometimes when I see my doctor, but thats just what they are, samples. I still have to buy the prescriptions.

It makes you feel good when your doctor actually does something for you!! I know it was nice to get a month of medication. I know we hate to ask, but you never know, your doctor may be glad to keep you supplied in samples.

Your friend,

Kinsie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2006]
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

We hear so much about the bad ones, and there are plenty of them out there, it is so nice to hear about a great one.

So glad for you.

SUe
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I know somebody who went to get a script filled
    and could'nt afford it.(not sure what med?)
    But anyways,... He called his drs. office right away and they told him to stop by for some sample paks.
    He was given a months supply too~ and he said the scripts was suppose to be like 140 dollars a month!!

One time when I was in my doc. office I noticed small cans of that nurishing drink for diabetics.
    My gram uses that stuff all the time so I asked for a few cans for my Gramma!! LOL yes I'm a bold one!
    He gave me some :)

Never hurts to ask~
  7. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

You are fortunate. Some docs share and some do not. I wish I could find one who would give me samples of Enbrel. I have very good insurance (for which I pay a lot of money every month) and my CO-PAY for a 3 month supply is $375.00. I could not believe it. That is something like $30 per shot. I checked with my insurance company twice, and even called the manufacturer to have them verify my insurance coverage...then they asked if I was interested in any assistance in paying for the meds...of course I said. Turns out I make too much money....what a surprise...good luck to you, and ask again...really, what can it hurt. My wonderful rx plan makes me pay $40 for non-formulary meds, or 10% whichever is MORE. Enbrel supposedly costs $3750.00 for a 3 month supply...or nearly $300 per shot!

My daughter's pediatrician gives us samples of any new meds he wants her to try...that way if they do not work, or if she cannot tolerate them, I am not out my co-payment.

Ingrid
  8. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Yes, my Shrink will always do that. My husband was taking Strattera for 3 months because it wasn't getting approved and the Dr. supplied him with samples. They get tons of samples from drug reps. so I don't know why they would not share and keep you as a patient.

Laura
  9. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

The docs have all kinds of meds from the drug reps. See if they are willing to give you every other months' supply, with you paying for the other, or apply to get free meds from the company.