You won't believe this!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisjhn, Jan 15, 2003.

1. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I just called Social Security Disability Determination Services to check the status on my reconsideration appeal and they don't have it! I mailed it in Oct 12th, it's been more than 90 days so I was thinking they might have an answer by now.

Then they tell me to call another 1-800 number based in CA to ask if they received it yet. Nope. I was so upset and crying on the phone I demanded to speak to the supervisor. I told her I have done nothing but jump through hoops for you guys and it's very hard to do all these things when you're sick. Three months feels like three years to someone who's in chronic pain and now I will NOT start all over again. I told her when I got my first denial, I called to get the reconsideration form just like it said to do, was cut off half way through the phone call while giving my information, so I called back and gave them the information again. I then received two forms (one from each person I talked to) and sent it in along with 6 letters from employers, friends and family, new medical evidence and a long letter from myself personally about two weeks after receiving my denial letter. That was Oct 12th.

I demanded they find the large envelope with all the information I had sent them. She told me since it was October it is probably stuck on someones desk still because of the holidays and to go to my local Social Security office. I said if I was able to get out of the house, I'd go to my local office, in fact, if I could get out of the house, I'd be working right now! So she says to fax a letter marked urgent to the supervisor explaining what has happened so I won't get penalized since you only have 60 days to appeal for reconsideration after receiving your denial.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm thinking I should get a lawyer now instead of waiting for the hearing. Maybe I'd be able to get it still at this level with an attorneys help since they are screwing with me. I'm keeping up with my end and they are not. They were 29 days late getting back to me the first time, and now after 3 months seemed to have "lost" all my information the second time.

What should I do now? Before I fax them, I'm wondering if there's any other steps I should take first. Would an attorneys help at this point help me to get my disability without having to wait for another denial and a hearing?

UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! ~LISA
  2. Kelly12

Kelly12 New Member

Let an attorney sort this out for you. You don't need any up front money to get an attorney as they are paid out of your back pay after you are approved. An attorney will be paid the same no matter how long they have been on your case or how much work you do so it is really best to get one now before you do any more hassle and grieving. You don't deserve to be put through this. Get the best SSDI Attorney that you can find. They all get paid the same, good ones or bad ones.

I am so sorry for what you are going through. They gave me a lot of grief too and I didn't understand that all I had to do was turn the mess over to an attorney. Once I did the grief was over.

I hope you kept copies of all that stuff. If not an attorney will guide you in doing it over. To anyone who is filing be sure to keep copies of everything. Also, you are likely to need an attorney before you ever get approved so you may as well get them at the beginning and save yourself a lot of aggravation. They are well worth their fee.

Take Care,

Kel
    [This Message was Edited on 01/15/2003]
  3. Kelly12

Kelly12 New Member

Let an attorney sort this out for you. You don't need any up front money to get an attorney as they are paid out of your back pay after you are approved. An attorney will be paid the same no matter how long they have been on your case or how much work you do so it is really best to get one now before you do any more hassle and grieving. You don't deserve to be put through this. Get the best SSDI Attorney that you can find. They all get paid the same, good ones or bad ones.

I am so sorry for what you are going through. They gave me a lot of grief, too and I didn't understand that all I had to do was turn the mess over to an attorney. Once I did the grief was over.

I hope you kept copies of all that stuff. If not an attorney will guide you in doing it over. To anyone who is filing be sure to keep copies of everything. Also, you are likely to need an attorney before you ever get approved so you may as well get them at the beginning and save yourself a lot of aggravation. They are well worth their fee.

Take Care,

Kel
  4. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

The problem is I was hoping not to have to get an attorney until after the 2nd denial. Thought I might have a chance at the reconsideration level since I had included new medical evidence and what I thought was a good bunch of information for them with all the letters included.

I definitely will get an attorney now for the hearing but I wonder if the fact that they keep "losing" all my stuff and don't seem to be on the ball like they should be, would be a factor in approving my case NOW at the reconsideration level. I mean what is the purpose of "reconsideration" if they deny EVERYBODY????

Maybe I should hire a lawyer (with the money I don't have) to help me fax this urgent expedited letter to the supervisor would help? Just pay a couple hundred dollars for that so I don't have to give up 25% of MY money I worked so hard for.

I'm calling around right now to see if I can get a consult of any kind.

~LISA
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The earlier one gets an attorney involved, the better the chances of approval. Good attorneys refer their clients to docs who know how to document the illness(es) and they collect medical records and other info.

I'm sorry you are having such problems with them. They are a big heartless bureaucracy with people who have jobs. They have no idea what it is like to be sick and financially depleted. On top of that, many of them have attitude that won't quit. Bad Karma for them.

Sweetie, get an atty. ASAP.

Love, Mikie