Young Physical Appearance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LongStruggle, Feb 6, 2007.

1. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I was just wondering if anybody else looks a lot younger than they actually are? People never have any idea how old I am. They place me 15-20 years younger than I am. I was curious if this was something unique for me or if other CFS patients have this characteristic. I started wondering about other CFS folks when I read a few comments listed on posts saying that other people comment on how good you look even though you feel absolutely terrible. I have that problem too. People will say you look great and I might have an energy level of about 1 out of 10.
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I'm 42. Before the Famvir, people said that depending on the day, I ranged from looking 30 to 40.

God knows how old I look now.

3. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I'm 48 but people place me in late 20s or early 30s. I hate it. When you look that much younger than you are and you feel physically horrible it is very misleading to people. People often judge others by their appearance and yet appearances can be very deceiving.
  4. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I just want to know what people think we should look like. Do they expect you to have a frown on your face all day long when you feel lousy. We have just adapted to feeling lousy on a constant basis.
  5. mcondon

mcondon New Member

I am 39 and recently was carded at a liquor store.

By the way, Cheney has remarked a number of times that the majority of his CFIDS patients look much younger than their age.
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

I often get told I look MUCH younger than my age (48). Don't think anyone tells me I look good though. I think I look younger only because I carry so much extra weight. If I lost a lot of weight I'd probably look like my Shar Pei.
  7. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Yes, I've been carded. Last year I was carded at Wal-Mart for buying what I don't remember. I thought it was bad to get carded when I was about 35, but even worse at 47.
  8. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Thanks for the info re: Cheney's comment. So it is something real. Did Cheney offer any speculations as to why?
  9. Kryssie

Kryssie New Member

I will be 37 in a couple of weeks and several people recently said I look 25. I also got asked out by a 21 yr old LOL!
  10. pearls

pearls New Member

Before I had this disease, I used to be taken for younger, but age has been creeping up on me and I think I look my age now. Most people are polite when you get to my age (older than dirt). Okay, I'll fess up. I'm 62.

Here's a good one for you. When I was in my mid to late 50s, the following happened in the same week: 1) I was asked if I wanted the senior citizen discount, and 2) I was asked by the X-ray technician if I might be pregnant!

11. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

Folks usually place me around 30. It was really frustarting when I was 30 and they thought I was 20. I got no respect. Hard to do my job and gain respect when they think you are too young!
  12. JolieLuLu

JolieLuLu New Member

i am lafin so hard......lololol

I think I look like my golden ret.!

My hair grows so fast now since taking lots of vits/supps, My nails are still thin and break easily.

Most people think im young because I have a 2 year old at 44! I havent been carded tho. Heck, people probably think Im a grandma....LOLOL

deep breaths
    jolie
  13. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I'm not sure that I'd agree with taking care of our bodies. I have a lot of friends who also take care of their bodies but don't have CFS and they either look their age or close to it.

I hate looking so young because it is a detriment professionally and also dating. Guys your age don't think that your anywhere close to them in age. Of course, when I see guys my age they look so old. Right now, however, I'm too ill to date.
  14. SweetT

SweetT New Member

When I was 13, I looked 16. When I was 20, I looked 26. When I was 25, I looked 21. Now I'm in my mid-thirties and can look 18-22 on some days, and then in my mid-forties on others. I get carded alot. I get hit on by younger men alot. And I get hit on by men that are a little older but think that I am in my early twenties.

The thing is, in this day and age, if you are 30-55, you are not supposed to *look* worn out and washed up and "old". even those 55 and over can be "hot".

avoiding abusing drugs and alcohol is it's own fountain of youth.
  15. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I relate. When I was young people always thought I was older. I was really tall for my age. I'm not sure when it changed, but I know I became aware of it when I started college at 25 and my classmates all thought I was fresh out of high school.
  16. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i'm 37 but people always think i am younger.

its so wierd to live the lifestyle of a 95 year old, have the apperance of a (fat)25 year old, and have the mindset of a 12 year old (sometimes). makes no sense at all!!!

bigmama2
  17. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've had people tell me that I look 10 years younger since my younger years. I was married at 18 and when my ex and I went to a swap meet, people thought he was my father. When I had my first child at 20 and walked around pregnant and then with the stroller, women looked at me as though they were disgusted. When I was younger, all this bothered me. My daughter was mistaken for my sister when I was 35 and she was 15 and I was carded until 38. Go figure ...

Now at 60, my hair color is natural brown with very few strands of gray. That makes me look younger for sure.

My rheumatologist also asked me if people had trouble believing my age.

Interesting idea!

18. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

People have always thought I was younger than I am. I am now 61 and am always taken to be in my early forties. Someone once told me that because of our constant musle tension its like our face muscles are in better shape than other people our age. I know when I look at my friends from high school their faces look alot more droopy than mine. Their eyes look older. Mine have a few little lines but have not dropped. Yeah.
    Suzanne
  19. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I get that ALL the time. Even before I became sick and started eating healthier etc.

People have always thought my whole life that I am much younger than I am.

Even now I am 31 and people always think I am younger. Lots of people think I am under 18 or in my early twenties...even at the doctors office before they see my chart.

My parents and grandparents looked young for their ages too so I think it is good genes. Maybe that same gene for looking young also makes us suseptable for CFS???

NO idea but interesting!

Pam
  20. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

I've always looked younger than my age. Many times doctors, dentists, opticians have asked me my age as they thought the records were wrong. When in my 40's people thought I was late 20's.

When I make a huge effort to go out I put on makeup and do my hair I look o.k. Of course I get the "you look good, are you better now" comments!

I sometimes say, you don't see me when I'm having a really bad day which has been 13 out of the last 14 days!

I took these comments (when people say "but you don't look sick") from the same site as Prickles - they make me laugh!

"It's really good to know that the 4 hours it took me to get out of bed, and get ready this morning wasn't wasted!"

"Should I get a refund? "

Maybe it is a gene connection of looking young that connects this DD!!
    I'm sure all the vits & health eating are really helping though.