Young, with baby, flare getting WORSE-HELP! (long)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jpowell79, Jan 26, 2006.

1. jpowell79

jpowell79 New Member

I'm sorry in advance, this is gonna be a little wordy-but I'll try to keep it easy to read...

I'm not new to tbe board, but I don't post often, and I could really use some advice on a few things:

1. My pain appears to STILL be getting worse.

I felt the best I had in years while I was pregnant, but flare started a month after my son was born...he just turned 1!! My doc has me on 5 Vicodin per day, 3 Robaxin, Prozac, and a B Complex, Multi-vitamin, Magnesium/Calcium set of vitamins. No help, or not much.

2. My doc REALLY does believe in Fibro (YAY!)The problem:

I am turning 27 on Tuesday (feel 90 physically, 16 mentally lol) and my doc's big hangup is not that he doesn't believe me, but that he doesn't want to wear out my kidney/liver and build me up a tolerance to pain meds-when in his mind I will be on them for the rest of my life. I understand his position, and he makes a valid point...but what the heck am I supposed to do?!

3. I can NOT sleep...now it is at the point that I have slept 3 hours in the past 48...

and that wasn't all at once! I tried Elavil (Amitryptiline) and Pamelor (Nortriptyline) both caused weight gain (to the tune of 25 lbs in a month! And, that was after I lost the 45+ lbs from pregnancy in 6 months without dieting-despite this DD) So, I stopped that, tried 50mg diphenhydramine (also an antihistamine)..no help. So, after much suggestion, I bought some melatonin to try. I took 1 3mg tablet tonight...got to sleep at 11:30pm (WOWOW) woke up 1.5 hours later, wide awake and still awake at 5am (have to get up in an hour anyway *Sigh*) Though...that 1.5 hour was better than any sleep I've had recently!

4. I have been through Physical Therapy, Chiropractic, and Accupuncture.

They used to help, now they don't. Accupuncturist says that I should try not to pick up my son (ROFL!!) because I am that bad off. I can NOT just curl up and rest, because of my son...so they can't say it's inactivity (he's 12 1/2 months and RUNNING!), they can't say it's weight-I'm 5'6" and 135 lbs now.

5. Accupuncturist says my scoliosis is getting worse...

As if there wasn't enough wrong, LOL. I developed scoliosis after puberty, but it wasn't found until I was rearended in 1999 (when this all began). It was so minor that they didn't think anything of it. 7 years later (in March it will be), and he was able to see the curve in my spine simply looking at me while laying on my stomach! My boyfriend can see it now too.
    Has anyone had post-puberty treatment for scoliosis? At my age, a brace may only slow progression, if that.

Don't get me wrong, I have many blessings, but it is SO hard to keep my head up (literally and figuratively) feeling like this-especially when it is getting worse. Anyone is still listening, thanks!, and any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Much love, and Thanks,
    ~Jaime
  2. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I hope you have some family support.Sleep is so important and sohard to get with a sweet new baby.
    I have the same believe about pain meds. too.I stay away from them as much as possible.Building up an immunity to them is scarey not to mention the damage it might do to your liver and kidneys.
    I just wish I could help out.I love babies!!!It's a shame we can't help each other out.The advice and support we get here is so wonderful but having someone in the physical would be nice.
    Honey you just try to do the best youcan and get sleep as often as you can.If there is family ask for help.
    I will say a prayer for you.Just remember things always get better sooner or later and how great those good times feel.
    Take care,
    Sheila
  3. kristy34

kristy34 New Member

Jaime,

I know just how you feel. I have three children- ages 6-2 and 8 months. While pregnant I felt great- no pain. After my daughter's birth the pain started. At first, I didn't think much about it- but by the time she was 5 months i knew something was wrong. I do not sleep-I wake up feeling like I have been hit by a mack truck-Sometimes I feel like I look like a 90 year old as the pain makes me walk slow. I am only 34 with small children- I cannot stop functioning- I would like to though- I feel very depressed as I have been diagnosed with Fibro- I need to find a new doctor as the one I am seeing will not prescribe me any pain meds- she feels I am too young and they are addidctive. I would like to see her live with this pain though and see if she would have the same thought. I am going to do all I can to fight this. I want to be an active, fun, mom- but there are times I just cannot do all the stuff I want to do with my kids and it is very depressing. i am going to ask for an antidepressant- sounds like it might help. Anyway, Know this is long- truthfully I can go on and on. I do not talk to my friends about my condition- don't think they would believe me if i did- It sounds to awful to be true- take Care- Anyway my thoughts are with you.
    kristy
    p.s. I too have scoliosis, however, when I was diagnosed with it- about the age of eleven- the doctor's said the curvature wasn't bad enough to require a brace- to this day though I feel that it has contributed to the pain.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

We all get in severe flares and feel like death warmed over!

I'm sorry that you are feeling so bad.

Did you know that in addition to the meds you are already taking for pain, you can rotate it with 600 mg of ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) safely. For example, take your normal pain med at its scheduled time, then 2 hrs later, take some ibuprofen. Hopefully, the additional pain reliever--of a different type--will help your pain.

I've tried extremely hot showers to cool water showers. I have often used ice packs or pkgs of frozen veggies such as peas, and put at the base of my neck and between my shoulder blades to "numb" the pain. It helps.

A heating pad is my best friend! It always goes on my low back.

Rest a lot, but make sure you get up at least once every 30 min. to walk around in the house so you don't get too stiff.

This is what helps me best:

Cymbalta
    Neurotin
    Voltaren - a NSAID for arthritis joint pain
    Zanaflex - at bedtime
    CPAP machine & oxygen - for sleep apnea at night

(((Hugs,)))
    Janet

5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

you are in so much pain. I have recently started the Guai protocol and it does seem to be helping already, either that or the Probiotics, or just coincidence. You have a demanding life with new baby etc and need to have this addressed. Maybe someone else has good ideas?
    Love Anne