your experience with flexeril?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TXPeach, Sep 9, 2008.

1. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Hello everyone,
    I have been suffering with neck and shoulder pain for several months now.

My dr. recently prescribed flexeril, but it is not helping at all.

I was wondering what dosage you all take? My dr. only prescribed one 5mg tablet at night. I'm thinking I need more. That seems like a very light dose to me.

I've left a message at his office, but so far no one has called me back. I'm thinking of upping the dose myself, but I don't want to overdo it.

I would appreciate any input on this subject. Thanks so much.

God bless,
    Peach
  2. bonnysunshine

bonnysunshine New Member

Hi Peach,
    I am new here! Just registered today. Yes, I have had flexeril off and on. My dosage was a little higher. I believe 10 and 15 mg. It did help me and can relax and even sometimes help with sleep a little. I usually have a very high tolerance for narcotics or any other type of drug. However, flexeril has been a good all around once in awhile help for me,even though I have been through million of other things.
  3. bonnysunshine

bonnysunshine New Member

Peach,
    How my response helps and hope you get some relief!!
    Bonny Sunshine
  4. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

I take from 10-30 mg of Flexeril 45 minutes before bed.

PROS: It helps me sleep.
    CONS : I sleep 12-15 hours when I take it.

Also , if I take 10 mg , it doesn't do a thing. 20 mg make me sleep a long time and 30 mg turn me into a zombie for a comlete day .

I can understand why you want to increase the dose , but this stuff is powerful and my own suggestion is to be a squeeky wheel and keep calling until they respond.

I hope this helps !

Holly
  5. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Bonnysunshine, Yes, your response helps and welcome to the boards! I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I think I'm on the right track, but 5 mg just isn't enough for me. I'm going to keep after my dr!

Lrning2cope, sleeping for 12-15 hours sounds more like a PRO than a CON to me! LOL! I would kill to sleep for that long! But I do understand what you're saying!

I think the longest stretch of sleep I have gotten lately has been about 5 hours. UGH!

Thanks for your responses!
    God bless,
    Peach
  6. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I was first given Flexeril for my jaw and muscle pain. I have the 10 mg tablets. I use them whenever I need them. It doesn't make me sleepy but it does help me relax enough to sleep well. I hope that makes sense. Yes, I have taken up to 20 mgs at work and have been able to focus and stay awake.

I hope this helps.

wendy
  7. astroherb

astroherb New Member

My doctor prescribed 10 mg. of generic Flexeril and told me to take between 1/4 to 2 tablets. I only take it at night to relax me enough to go to sleep. I usually take 1 and 1/2 tablet. If I take 2, I get crazy dreams and often nightmares. However, I don't believe it is working as well as it did 4 months ago when I first started it.

An interesting sideline is that when you go to the site where people rate the drugs they are taking, most people do not like Flexeril at all. However, those who have fibromyalgia like it just fine. I do like it for the most part. It helps me sleep, but I don't wake up drowsy. However, you might want to take it awhile before you actually go to bed as it does take a while to kick in.

Good luck.
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

they help with muscle spasms/ tightness.
    but they also make me feel wiped out.

I'd take them towards eve. and I'd wake up feeling so tired. I'd drag all the next day~
    (worse than I drag normally)

hope this helps~
  9. justbev

justbev New Member

Hi! I'm new here also. I've been on flexeril for a couple years and about a year ago I went from 20 mg to 40 mg. I still only get about 4-5 hrs sleep and still have pretty bad flairs, but overall it seems to help. I still go for 24-48 hrs with no sleep even tho I take it every night. Guess it works diff for diff people.
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I used to take Flexiril, didn't seem to be very effective for me. The pain mgmt dr. I saw, who also had Fibro, said Flexiril is often recommended for people w/Fibro although she agreed that it didn't work for her either.

I have found that Soma works best for me. I think it's one of the stronger muscle relaxers without being too heavy duty. I've tried Skelexin, Robaxin as well and the pharmacist told me Soma is stronger than both of those as well.

Again, like everything else, I think it's trial and error for us and meds.
  11. klcooper

klcooper New Member

It didn't help me either, I take Soma too. It works wonders and I can get up without feeling groggy the next day. Tried lots of things before Soma, without much success.